whippet Registered User
#1

I’ve gotten a jury call for next month in the circuit court.

No point in even considering looking for an excuse as I don’t have any valid reason for not doing it .. however I’m trying to make some arrangements work wise just in case.

In reality how likely are you to actually be selected ?

If selected what are the normal operating times of the court / when I’d be expected to be there ?

Is there any time during the day when I could take work calls / log in etc .. or is your time more or less court & lunch ?

looksee Moderator
#2

How likely are you to be selected...it depends on what you look like (how someone else perceives you) and what the case is. The last time I was called the case was a young guy up for some sort of thievery. I look like an older (which I am), quite severe woman (just the way my face sits ) and I was promptly ousted. Daft thing was I was at the time working with people his age, not necessarily delinquents but not high flying college students either, and I had a very positive attitude towards them.

1 person has thanked this post
TheIronyMaiden Registered User
#3

looksee said:
How likely are you to be selected...it depends on what you look like (how someone else perceives you) and what the case is. The last time I was called the case was a young guy up for some sort of thievery. I look like an older (which I am), quite severe woman (just the way my face sits ) and I was promptly ousted. Daft thing was I was at the time working with people his age, not necessarily delinquents but not high flying college students either, and I had a very positive attitude towards them.


Yep, this. I got selected and saw a complete mix of people be vetoed. It's pretty much down to the case you get.
Also, your whole day is taken up - no down time at all. Well apart from your lunch hour!

1 person has thanked this post
Gerry T Registered User
#4

For me your called for a week, show up every m9rni g. Jury's selected and those not picked go to work, that's about 10am. Show up the next day repeat.
If selected case could be 3 days, maybe 5 or if unlucky much longer. You have zero time during the day, brought to lunch in a cop van and back. No time to yourself until the evenings

whippet Registered User
#5

Pretty much what I expected !! Also what is the dress code for jurors .. I’m assuming it’s what ever you normally wear ?

coylemj Registered User
#6

There is no official dress code but I wouldn't turn up in shorts or wearing a dirty t-shirt. What you look like (incl. what you're wearing) will have a major bearing on whether you're accepted or not when you step forward as a prospective juror. Prosecution and defence counsel (the barristers) can each reject up to seven prospective jurors 'without cause shown' i.e. without giving any reason. Too smart or too scruffy and one side will reject you.

The Pheasant2 Registered User
#7

Can you not just dress up like an absolute weirdo then as a get-out?

4 people have thanked this post
coylemj Registered User
#8

The Pheasant2 said:
Can you not just dress up like an absolute weirdo then as a get-out?


Go too far and the judge could take it as contempt, next stop a trip in the paddywagon to Mountjoy for seven days. I wouldn't be testing the limits.

You can dress down without looking like a weirdo.

1 person has thanked this post
iLikeWaffles Registered User
#9

Just stare the be-jasus out of who ever it is and you wont be selected ever!

The Pheasant2 Registered User
#10

coylemj said:
Go too far and the judge could take it as contempt, next stop a trip in the paddywagon to Mountjoy for seven days. I wouldn't be testing the limits.

You can dress down without looking like a weirdo.


I'd actually love to try and find where the line is here
I mean obviously a mankini under a kilt would be too far...
But would shorts and a hawaiian shirt count as contempt for example? Or just dungarees? Seems like the judge could have quite a lot of leeway in basically deciding whether you're taking the the piss or not.

1 person has thanked this post
Truckermal Registered User
#11

I was called before but attending would mean a 80 Mile round trip plus I would have to take time off work. I phoned and explained that it didn't suit to which I was told absolutely no problem.

1 person has thanked this post
markpb Registered User
#12

Truckermal said:
I was called before but attending would mean a 80 Mile round trip


How did that happen?

nuac Moderator
#13

Mod
Title amended for clarity.
Jury service is an important civic function.
No more comedians, pls

2 people have thanked this post
ezra_ Registered User
#14

Is the pool drawn from Revenue or Electoral data?

L1011 Moderator
#15

ezra_ said:
Is the pool drawn from Revenue or Electoral data?


Electoral register. One of the reasons people sometimes give for not voting!

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!