ZX7R Registered User

Another thing that needs to be addressed is boards weather warnings.
For example the current tread says level 2 weather warning be prepared.
The problem I have is if a person is looking at the heading it looks like it's a country wide warning

MJohnston Registered User

ZX7R said:
Another thing that needs to be addressed is boards weather warnings.
For example the current tread says level 2 weather warning be prepared.
The problem I have is if a person is looking at the heading it looks like it's a country wide warning

If posters can't be expected to actually read a little bit of the thread they're seeing those warnings on, we're doomed. I seriously don't think anything about that process needs to change, people need to.

12 people have thanked this post
ZX7R Registered User

MJohnston said:
If posters can't be expected to actually read a little bit of the thread they're seeing those warnings on, we're doomed. I seriously don't think anything about that process needs to change, people need to.

Most don't

Harry Palmr Registered User

Strangegravy said:
It's the county lines that create the biggest problem really.

The western tips of Galway and Mayo might get winds that warrant a Red warning from Storm Callum, but the eastern sides might only be Yellow.

They should just do a straight or curved linear system, forgetting about county lines, and have red/orange, orange/yellow buffer zones between the warning areas.

I suggested that a while back and got shot down!

edit - something like this

6 people have thanked this post
spookwoman Registered User

MJohnston said:

Not to mention it is a thread with weather enthusiasts discussing the weather, its not as if its the national weather service.

4 people have thanked this post
Sycamore Tree Registered User

How did we survive in the 70s and 80s without coloured weather warning processes?
I don't ever recall my school being shut due to weather and I don't ever remember feeling in any danger walking/cycling to and from school.

People are shouting Call it Red days before a storm even materialises. We have become awful soft and helpless.

1 person has thanked this post
smodgley Registered User

Sycamore Tree said:
How did we survive in the 70s and 80s without coloured weather warning processes?
I don't ever recall my school being shut due to weather and I don't ever remember feeling in any danger walking/cycling to and from school.

People are shouting Call it Red days before a storm even materialises. We have become awful soft and helpless.

Snowflake society now ( pun intended)

MJohnston Registered User

smodgley said:
Snowflake society now ( pun intended)

Oh please.

3 people have thanked this post
Beechwoodspark Registered User

I just hope we don’t wake up tomorr realising Met eireann have called it wrong for the second time in a number of weeks

Rhineshark Registered User

Beechwoodspark said:
I just hope we don’t wake up tomorr realising Met eireann have called it wrong for the second time in a number of weeks

It will absolutely be "wrong" to a certain number of people who won't care or indeed notice that other regions were hit far worse. If they do not personally see trees down, Met Eireann got it wrong. Sure as Christmas.

Macy0161 Registered User

Rhineshark said:
It will absolutely be "wrong" to a certain number of people who won't care or indeed notice that other regions were hit far worse. If they do not personally see trees down, Met Eireann got it wrong. Sure as Christmas.

There's already complaints from areas that weren't under orange on the chat thread!

As to how we survived in the 70's and 80's, well people did take more personal responsibility, and that included listening to the weather forecast, not just following clickbait facebook headlines from the likes of the journal or joe...

Rhineshark Registered User

Macy0161 said:
There's already complaints from areas that weren't under orange on the chat thread!

As to how we survived in the 70's and 80's, well people did take more personal responsibility, and that included listening to the weather forecast, not just following clickbait facebook headlines from the likes of the journal or joe...

Ikr! God forbid anyone else get a warning when they were only yellow and have not woken up in Oz!

And storms came in with less warning (esp in specific areas) and people occassionally died. Also, there were less cars on the road, travelling in packs at rush hour getting stuck in traffic under tree-lined avenues and less power lines to get downed.

2 people have thanked this post
Graces7 Registered User

ZX7R said:
Most don't

Their loss then

Graces7 Registered User

Sycamore Tree said:

I remember having to walk five miles home in freezing fog and darkening as the buses had stopped running. |Had the forecast been heeded?

Pretzill Registered User

I think they should do away with the category system of yellow, orange and red and just go back to warning us about the weather. Storm Ali did not have the hype surrounding it, two people died, it was close to a red here. Storm Callum as an orange is just a slightly windy day.

When you draw a large brush stroke over swathes of the country you will never predict the levels on a more regional level. I would prefer regional weather forecasts in more detail and less of the hype, more of the clear forecasting.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!