wingsof daun Registered User
#196

Auschwitz is the biggest fraud of a memorial in history. The only gas chamber was put there by Stalin in, guess what year...1947. Two years after the Holocaust. The signs in Auschwitz in 1992 were taken down (some) because the info was being presented as fact to millions of tourists but was totally false. Whatever about the other camps, I cant stand Auschwitz for the above reasons. We had Amy The Holocaust Hubermann on Tubridy, it just goes on and on and on, it is nauseating. Seriously. Remember our own history. The Holocaust is a fking religion that could go on till the end of time.

Hitman3000 Registered User
#197

wingsof daun
Auschwitz is the biggest fraud of a memorial in history. The only gas chamber was put there by Stalin in, guess what year...1947. Two years after the Holocaust. The signs in Auschwitz in 1992 were taken down (some) because the info was being presented as fact by millions of tourists but was totally false. Whatever about the other camps, I cant stand Auschwitz for the above reasons. We had Amy The Holocaust Hubermann on Tubridy, it just goes on and on and on, it is nauseating. Seriously. Remember our own history. The Holocaust is a fking religion that could go on till the end of time.



Some of the buildings maybe 'fake' however the killings were not. It happened.

1 person has thanked this post
wingsof daun Registered User
#198

Hitman3000 said:
Some of the buildings maybe 'fake' however the killings were not. It happened.


If there was no gas chamber there during the Holocaust (at Auschwitz) how did the killings happen? And on that scale? I was never told people died from disease, lack of supplies or exposure at Auschwitz yet that is the most realistic answer.

Sardonicat Registered User
#199

wingsof
Hitman3000 said:
Some of the buildings maybe 'fake' however the killings were not. It happened.


I was never told people died from disease, lack of supplies or exposure at Auschwitz yet that is the most realistic answer.


Oh! That makes it all right so! Thanks for clearing that up. I'm now reappraising my views on the Nazi's policy towards the Jews and other groups that died at their hands. Clearly, they were a great bunch of lads after all.

Bob24 Registered User
#200

Maybe people should have a look here before posting on what did or did not happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp

It quotes an estimate of 1.1 million people killed at the Auschwitz camps (the article has more details on when and how the killings happened which is probably better for everyone to go review themselves only if they want to).

Not saying Wikipedia is the absolute truth and people can question it if they want and provide other sources, but it seems like to me a bit of self-documentation would be a good thing before anyone posts about what happened or didn’t happen there.

1 person has thanked this post
Dan Jaman Registered User
#201

wingsof daun said:
Auschwitz is the biggest fraud of a memorial in history. The only gas chamber was put there by Stalin in, guess what year...1947. Two years after the Holocaust. The signs in Auschwitz in 1992 were taken down (some) because the info was being presented as fact to millions of tourists but was totally false. Whatever about the other camps, I cant stand Auschwitz for the above reasons. We had Amy The Holocaust Hubermann on Tubridy, it just goes on and on and on, it is nauseating. Seriously. Remember our own history. The Holocaust is a fking religion that could go on till the end of time.



Not sure whether you're trying to deny the awfulness that was the Holocaust or not, or whether or not Auschwitz was a death camp.
It was certainly a death camp, but mainly as a result of the work-to-death policy of the slave regime in place around that area. There were various manufacturies in place, all drawing labour from the slave pool of Auschwitz camps (plural - it's a huge complex). Many thousands died there, in horrible conditions, but it wasn't actually a mass-extermination camp like a few others. Whatever, the net result was the same.

Hitman3000 Registered User
#202

wingsof daun
If there was no gas chamber there during the Holocaust (at Auschwitz) how did the killings happen? And on that scale? I was never told people died from disease, lack of supplies or exposure at Auschwitz yet that is the most realistic answer.


Auschwitz was a small camp, Birkenau was where most of the killings took place many went directly to the gas chambers others were worked to death at various factories operated by such household names as IG Faben others allowed to die of starvation and diease, along with the smaller camps such as Plasow, Triblinka.

DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User
#203

wingsof daun said:
If there was no gas chamber there during the Holocaust (at Auschwitz) how did the killings happen? And on that scale? I was never told people died from disease, lack of supplies or exposure at Auschwitz yet that is the most realistic answer.


That was towards the end when supply routes were cut off by the Allies. I believe there was also an outbreak of TB.

The Germans demolished gas chambers as the Allies drew near and got rid of all their records.

The mock gas chamber on display today is a converted Air Raid shelter.
They're open about that and will tell you if you ask.

DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User
#204

Bob24 said:
Maybe people should have a look here before posting on what did or did not happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp

It quotes an estimate of 1.1 million people killed at the Auschwitz camps (the article has more details on when and how the killings happened which is probably better for everyone to go review themselves only if they want to).

Not saying Wikipedia is the absolute truth and people can question it if they want and provide other sources, but it seems like to me a bit of self-documentation would be a good thing before anyone posts about what happened or didn’t happen there.


They revise the Auschwitz number all the time. It was 2 million when I visited in 2013.

Nobody will ever be entirely sure exactly how many died there.

gmisk Registered User
#205

Hitman3000 said:
Auschwitz was a small camp, Birkenau was where most of the killings took place many went directly to the gas chambers others were worked to death at various factories operated by such household names as IG Faben others allowed to die of starvation and diease, along with the smaller camps such as Plasow, Triblinka.

That is true, however I would kind of in my head consider Auschwitz and Birkenau (wasnt it also called Auschwitz 2?) one and the same as they are right beside each other.
Visiting them was one of the overwhelming experiences in my life, the rooms full of suitcases, spectacles, kids clothes, shoes, it is a truly heartbreaking place.

The mind boggles that people could go around scratching messages onto walls in a place like this.

1 person has thanked this post
Bob24 Registered User
#206

DEFTLEFTHAND said:


Nobody will ever be entirely sure exactly how many died there.


Agree. But but what there is no doubt about is that mass extermination did happen in the Auschwitz camps (all of them as a group), which is what seemed to be questionned above (not by you) and why I thought it was worth positing an estimate/reference before the discussion goes any further. I actually find the thread is getting ackward :-/

3 people have thanked this post
Hitman3000 Registered User
#207

gmisk
That is true, however I would kind of in my head consider Auschwitz and Bikenau one and the same as they are right beside each other. Visiting them was one of the overwhelming experiences in my life, the rooms full of suitcases, spectacles, kids clothes, shoes, it is a truly heartbreaking place.



Actually there is a couple of miles between the two camps. Birkenau or Auschwitz II is the one people would be most familiar with due to the films. The spectacles and possessions are nearly all in Auschwitz. The most heart breaking for me was the 'Sauna' at Birkenau where the photos of the victims are on display. The photo of a baby on a sheepskin rug was the most poignant.
Both camps are terrible but at the second camp the errie silence is distrubing.

1 person has thanked this post
gmisk Registered User
#208

Hitman3000 said:
Actually there is a couple of miles between the two camps. Birkenau or Auschwitz II is the one people would be most familiar with due to the films. The spectacles and possessions are nearly all in Auschwitz. The most heart breaking for me was the 'Sauna' at Birkenau where the photos of the victims are on display. The photo of a baby on a sheepskin rug was the most poignant.
Both camps are terrible but at the second camp the errie silence is distrubing.

Ah you are right its maybe about 5 or 6 years since I went.

That is so true about the silence in the second camp, I remember you couldn't hear anything at all, no birds even both heart breaking places really.
I visited a place called the topography of terror fairly recently in Berlin, it was terrifically well done, very respectful and factual.

2 people have thanked this post
Hitman3000 Registered User
#209

gmisk
Ah you are right its maybe about 5 or 6 years since I went.



Been there 3 times, took a private tour the 3rd time. Our party on leaving was brought down a winding road to show us one of the preserved cattle wagons they used for transport. It is a horrible but I believe necessary place if that makes sense.
I'm in Berlin next September I must look out for that installation you mention

2 people have thanked this post
gmisk Registered User
#210

Hitman3000 said:
Been there 3 times, took a private tour the 3rd time. Our party on leaving was brought down a winding road to show us one of the preserved cattle wagons they used for transport. It is a horrible but I believe necessary place if that makes sense.
I'm in Berlin next September I must look out for that installation you mention

Couldn't agree with that more.
I did a private tour the time I went as well, I would think you definitely see areas larger groups dont.

The topography of terror definitely doesn't give you that same emotional impact that Auschwitz or Birkenau would but its so well done, factual and gives you an idea of the scale and timeline involved. I think its a real credit to Germany that a place like that exists, rather than trying to deny or in anyway play down what happened.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!