ELM327 Registered User

Not expecting much this year, but these are the main notables as fair as reducing our emissions:

He will be introducing a new accelerated capital allowances scheme for gas-propelled vehicles and refuelling equipment.
This is designed to encourage the uptake of gas-propelled commercial vehicles as an economic and environmentally friendly alternative to diesel

On carbon tax:
“It is my intention to put in place a long-term trajectory for carbon tax increases out to 2030 in line with the recommendations of the Climate Change Advisory Council and the special Oireachtas Committee which are examining climate changes.”

Ireland will no longer purchase diesel only busses after July of next year. In line with several other EU states, there will be a 1 per cent surcharge for diesel vehicles across all VRT bands.The minister is extending VRT relief for hybrid vehicles until 2019

Have to say I don't care for the gas related thing as it's still a fossil fuel at the end of the day.
(Quotes lifted from https://liveblog.irishtimes.com/4d29d48a9f/Live%3A-Budget-2019/)

mccannf Registered User

From http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2019/Documents/2.%20Budget%202019%20Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf

The 0% Benefit-in-kind rate for electric vehicles is being extended
for a period of 3 years, with a cap of €50,000 on the Original Market
Value of the vehicle.

KCross Registered User

mccannf said:

The 0% Benefit-in-kind rate for electric vehicles is being extended for a period of 3 years, with a cap of €50,000 on the Original Market Value of the vehicle.

Thats an interesting one. So what happens if you have bought a Model S on the back of last years budget (which people have)?

1 person has thanked this post
ELM327 Registered User

KCross said:
Thats an interesting one. So what happens if you have bought a Model S on the back of last years budget (which people have)?

Ouchies. That's not good.
I assume they will grandfather in the existing cars.
I'd imagine the vast majority of EV purchased under the BIK scheme were Teslas - given how hard Tesla Ireland lobbied for this change last year.

Shefwedfan Registered User

Gas propelled???? what the hell is that?

VRT 1% is not on imports as well? will it push up the price of new?

Apart from that they are a useless shower

KCross Registered User

ELM327 said:
A 1% VRT surcharge is being brought in for diesel engine passenger vehicles registering in the State from 1 January 2019.

How do you interpret that figure. The word surcharge is confusing it a bit.

Is it a 1% surcharge of the RRP? Or is it just that a car that was paying, say, 20% VRT is now paying 21%?

eGolf will be happy with that proposal....Majority of cars would have been Tesla so that is a kick in the teeth

Maybe might push them to release the Model 3 earlier but I doubt it

ELM327 Registered User

Shefwedfan said:
Gas propelled???? what the hell is that?

VRT 1% is not on imports as well? will it push up the price of new?

Apart from that they are a useless shower

Gas propelled is LPG. I knew from my prior correspondence that this was likely to come in (i had provided a written response to the committee but it was clearly ignored).

1% VRT is across the board in my reading.

KCross said:
How do you interpret that figure. The word surcharge is confusing it a bit.

Is it a 1% surcharge of the RRP? Or is it just that a car that was paying, say, 20% VRT is now paying 21%?

I would imagine (because people working in politics are generally not mathematics savvy) that they meant 1 percentage point as opposed to 1%.

So if they were paying 20% they will now pay 21%, not (20*1.01)%

2 people have thanked this post
KCross Registered User

I'd see this as the potential end to hybrid and PHEV subsidies...

Extension of VRT relief for hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles
The VRT relief available for conventional hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids is being extended for a period of one year, until end 2019.

No mention of the grant or BEV's. He specifically just mentioned VRT relief for hybrid and PHEV.

ELM327 Registered User

It's the same wording as other years, but I reckon this year they emphasised it (by leaving out BEV/grants) as the UK look to be ending their grants for PHEV

zilog_jones Registered User

ELM327 said:
Gas propelled is LPG.

Are you sure? All the talk about commercial vehicles this year has been with CNG.

ELM327 Registered User

zilog_jones said:
Are you sure? All the talk about commercial vehicles this year has been with CNG.

The report from the budgetary oversight committee actually mentions both so it could actually be both.
However with practically 0 refuelling stations for CNG, LPG is likely to be more practical.

n97 mini Registered User

zilog_jones said:

I would think it's CNG and LPG, but you're right, the "environmentally friendly" gas is considered CNG.

1 person has thanked this post
ELM327 Registered User

ELM327 said:
The report from the budgetary oversight committee actually mentions both so it could actually be both.
However with practically 0 refuelling stations for CNG, LPG is likely to be more practical.

n97 mini said:
I would think it's CNG and LPG, but you're right, the "environmentally friendly" gas is considered CNG.

As I say above, i think it's both, as described by the Budgetary Oversight Committee report.

Who sells LPG cars these days anyway?

I know one fueling station but that would actually suit me as not massively far away.....

For a PHEV buyer you are better buying up now as in 12 months it will probably be gone

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!