pickarooney Moderator

Fantastic article. Thanks

1 person has thanked this post
blergh Registered User

Does children's boxing training involve blows to the head?

FTA69 Registered User

blergh said:
Does children's boxing training involve blows to the head?

Depends. Ten year olds can be sparring yeah, that's how you learn.

blergh Registered User

FTA69 said:
Depends. Ten year olds can be sparring yeah, that's how you learn.

Proper punches? In some martial arts traing the sparring is all pulled punches - taps really.

Mean Laqueefa Registered User

blergh said:
Proper punches? In some martial arts traing the sparring is all pulled punches - taps really.

yeah but they are only kids, no weight behind anything, head protection and massive gloves, they cant do damage if they tried

4 people have thanked this post
FTA69 Registered User

blergh said:

Proper, controlled technical sparring is what's encouraged. As the poster above said too, at that young an age they can't do any real damage anyway. Sparring is done to inculcate the techniques they learn and prepare them for competition. It's not a case of 11 year olds knocking each other out with blood and guts trench warfare.

3 people have thanked this post
Pkiernan Registered User

My 5 year old has been learning Tae Kwando since his 4rh birthday.

The discipline of the class and good parentli g will prevent him starting fights in school.

Yer Da sells Avon Registered User

If I ever have kids, I think I'd prefer that they were able to talk their way out of trouble and, if that fails, run really quickly.

blergh Registered User

Mean Laqueefa said:
yeah but they are only kids, no weight behind anything, head protection and massive gloves, they cant do damage if they tried

Thanks. Kids' boxing won't be for my kid so.

I remember getting hard enough punches not that much older than 10, without training that I'm aware of. Not like a proper punch from an adult, but enough to give a black eye for example.

I think I read the head protection does sfa to protect the brain - could even be worse than not using it.

Probably sound preachy but I dont mean to. Dont view it as my business if other people get formal boxing training for their kids or not.

spurious Category Moderator

The really good amateur boxers don't get hit much.
It's as much about avoiding being hit as smacking them out yourself.

1 person has thanked this post
Your Face Registered User

You're never to young to learn how to throw a punch.
I'd also teach him basic self-defence and some of the dark arts.
There's no way to stop him using his skills during play but if he's a decent young fella it probably won't happen.

Mean Laqueefa Registered User

blergh said:
Thanks. Kids' boxing won't be for my kid so.

I remember getting hard enough punches not that much older than 10, without training that I'm aware of. Not like a proper punch from an adult, but enough to give a black eye for example.

I think I read the head protection does sfa to protect the brain - could even be worse than not using it.

Probably sound preachy but I dont mean to. Dont view it as my business if other people get formal boxing training for their kids or not.

its not preachy man alls good.

Honest of you dont think its for your kid that your choice and massive respect. I would add though you may look at black eyes and being whalloped when young, but it does happen in every sport, many i time ive been bruised up in football or GAA, my sister used to have black eyes from netball all the time. Kids are tough and i think the lessons you learn about it outweigh it for me.

I would be with Makkomi and get them into judo or any grabbling, there built for it anyway and always good to know how to land safely

3 people have thanked this post
FTA69 Registered User

spurious said:
The really good amateur boxers don't get hit much.
It's as much about avoiding being hit as smacking them out yourself.

Not everyone is really good too I suppose. If you're competing and sparring you are going to get tagged from time to time. As Tyson Fury said, you can't go swimming without getting wet.

Mint Sauce Registered User

Yer Da sells Avon said:
If I ever have kids, I think I'd prefer that they were able to talk their way out of trouble and, if that fails, run really quickly.

And be able to give a slap back if they really have to.

Feisar Registered User

Your Face said:
You're never to young to learn how to throw a punch.
I'd also teach him basic self-defence and some of the dark arts.
There's no way to stop him using his skills during play but if he's a decent young fella it probably won't happen.

Dark arts? Like the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique? Or a Ringsend Uppercut!

Situational awareness is the best self defence going, that and a good shopping list.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!