Shenshen said:
To be honest, I'm not convinced that the reason why people have no interest in it is because they had to learn it at school, and it was taught badly.

I'm starting to suspect that this is just the handy excuse. After all, if you wanted to learn something, even as an adult, it's now easier than ever to do so. Just a quick google search reveals a score of free online courses teaching Irish.
Wouldn't it be more honest to just admit that most Irish people, while having a sort of nostalgic attachment to the idea of the language, just couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes a day actually learning it, nevermind speaking it?

Then we could maybe try and see if we can find the root cause for this complete disinterest. And I do not believe that can be found in the schools. Bad teaching may well be a contributing, reinforcing factor, but it does seem unlikely that this should have managed to put an entire country off the language.

Unlikrly, yes , but that's exactly what's happening. It has add is putting a nation off. Just not permanently.

Make Irish practical and fun and and you'll get kids wantibg to do it. You'll have it booming in less than one gemeration.

Make it awkward, impractical, needlessly base exams and career possibilities on it or use it to be a condescending dick to a nation of teenagers and you'll them off. Of course they won't be put off permanently, as you say; but why would people want to put them off in the first place? For political reasons? Fear? To teach them 'life isn't fair'?

The revivalists are their own worst enemy in this regard.

whisky_galore Registered User

The reason for the disinterest is you can do pretty much everything through English here, bar a small number of jobs that require Irish.

I'm not convinced making it fun works, you can have any number of 'cool vids' of modern songs sung in the medium and it's cool for about 15 mins until the next viral video comes along.

5 people have thanked this post
frosty123 Registered User

i hear people say from time to time..oh we must keep irish alive cause its a beautiful language...no its not

italian, french and english (if its spoken properly) are beautiful languages..irish sounds like someone choking on tinfoil,

its gammy

Hotblack Desiato Registered User

whisky_galore said:
The reason for the disinterest is you can do pretty much everything through English here, bar a small number of jobs that require Irish.

Almost all of which are make-work non-jobs paid for by the taxpayer.
Remember when FF thought it was a great wheeze to make Irish an official EU language? Just because it's the EU as a whole paying for it, not just us, doesn't make it right. But if it gets votes in the west for FF then the end justifies the means...

I'm not convinced making it fun works, you can have any number of 'cool vids' of modern songs sung in the medium and it's cool for about 15 mins until the next viral video comes along.

They tried that in the 70s, seriously. Didn't work then either!

jimbobaloobob Registered User

When do the poll results become available?

madbeanman Registered User

Hotblack Desiato said:
Almost all of which are make-work non-jobs paid for by the taxpayer.
Remember when FF thought it was a great wheeze to make Irish an official EU language? Just because it's the EU as a whole paying for it, not just us, doesn't make it right. But if it gets votes in the west for FF then the end justifies the means...

A job in an t-Údarás is literally a job focused on creating more jobs or a job focused on providing community supports in rural Ireland.

Do people who live in Gaeltacht areas not deserve services or jobs?

Should people with the language not be employed to provide these things?

People in the Gaeltacht are just people. They are not automatically language activists, they are just people raised with a language who naturally speak it.

2 people have thanked this post

whisky_galore said:

Well, if forcing them doesn't work and making it fun doesn't work, it's dead.

Honestly comes across at this point that you don't care whether Irish lives or dies or the students benefit or don't, as long as it's manadatory. For some reason - any reason will do - I'm guessing because you don't like kids at this point. Or the language it would appear.

PeadarCo Registered User

madbeanman

The problem is how many of these jobs will be done through Irish? When TG4 started covering Wimbledon they had to make up new terms to cover tennis. If Irish struggles with a sport how the hell can it be used for anything technical(require a 3rd level degree) when all reference material will be in English. I know in accountancy which isn't as technical as a science based subject, good look getting accounting standards and related materials in Irish. Never mind someone who is proficient enough in both accountancy and Irish and who will make a decision based on this knowledge without reverting to English. And that's before you go near science or engineering based fields, which are far more technical.

All you are doing is diluting Gaeltachts by bringing in more English speakers and even further encouraging the speaking of English.

Grayson Registered User

Princess Consuela Bananahammock said:
Well, if forcing them doesn't work and making it fun doesn't work, it's dead.

Honestly comes across at this point that you don't care whether Irish lives or dies or the students benefit or don't, as long as it's manadatory. For some reason - any reason will do - I'm guessing because you don't like kids at this point. Or the language it would appear.

Making it easy might work though. If they just study conversational irish and slowly increase over years then it might be possible. But they force feeding of irish with what some define as irish culture hasn't worked.

Donald Trump Registered User

Princess Consuela Bananahammock said:
Glad we're finally clear about me apparently never clearing up what age I was talking about when I specifically said 'Leaving Cert'.

So ultimately, the point is to teach them 'life isn't fair'?

I'd argue we should set the goals of both our education system and the language a little higher, but that's just me.

1/10 . Must try harder

Hotblack Desiato Registered User

madbeanman said:

Yes they do.

Do they deserve a far greater spend per capita simply because of the language they (claim to) speak?

Tigerandahalf Registered User

Interesting article from the Examiner on the experience in Wales versus Ireland.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/finding-our-voice-looking-to-wales-to-save-the-irish-language-356769.html

astrofool Registered User

astrofool said:
I'm guessing something like "It was fine to study Irish in my day and it was only ~1 hour per day Monday-Friday, thus it should be fine for everyone to lose an hour a day during school, and everyone complaining would have done nothing worthwhile with the extra time anyway so it should stay the way it is, for some reason".

Donald Trump said:
Irish is mandatory. If you don't like it, tough shit. Life isn't fair. If a person feels that they'd be doing neuroscience rather than emptying bins because they had to do a few hours a week of Irish then that is probably to be expected. The thickness of the person to lead them to believe that is the same thickness that held them back. Not fecking Irish

For my next trick, the lotto numbers...

1 person has thanked this post

Donald Trump said:
1/10 . Must try harder

Ah, the pigeon-on-the-chessboard gambit. Did not see that one coming. Looks like I'll have to take psychic lessons from Astrofool....

1 person has thanked this post
feargale Registered User

Hotblack Desiato said:
About a billion euro a year's worth. Think of what we could usefully do with that money.

Where did you get that figure?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!