Jack Moore Registered User

Would you like to see a refferendum on the first language of this country

Greyfox Registered User

Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language

41 people have thanked this post
Filmer Paradise Registered User

No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.

32 people have thanked this post
MOH Registered User

Always amazes me how many people complain about Irish being taught and suggest it should be dropped for English, while simultaneously failing at their professed preferred language

23 people have thanked this post
Arghus Registered User

I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.

38 people have thanked this post
Edgarfrndly Registered User

I'm an Irish language speaker. It's not a difficult language to become comfortable with the basics, but the school curriculum will never help you build confidence. I picked it up just meeting up with a few people once a week in the pub, and a few trips out to the gaeltacht for a few pints. After a year, you'd be amazed at how much you pick up.

I think it's constitutional position is fine. I see both sides of the argument about its position in school. I don't think it should be required for universities, and I'm not really too pushed on it being mandatory for leaving cert.. although I think it should be at least up to junior cert, with a conversational class being taught for leaving cert that's optional and focuses solely on practicing it, immersing in it and building up confidence in using it.

I think some resentment from Irish comes from spending so much time on it without being able to speak it. I think if people could actually speak it, they'd have a more positive outlook on their education.

It's a nice language and I've met lots of really nice people through it. Learning it is a really good journey for any Irish person to make.

27 people have thanked this post
RobertKK Registered User

There would be a revival in the language if there was more emphasis at teaching it as a spoken language rather than a written language.

19 people have thanked this post
Greyfox Registered User

Arghus said:
I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.

But I'm not as im still p*ssed off with all the hours I spent learning it that were such a waste of time. French or German would be more beneficial. We need to stop teaching it from a textbook and actually speak the language, we need to change the way it's taught NOW

Oranage2 Registered User

Filmer Paradise said:
No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.

Is English taught any better?

4 people have thanked this post
BeerWolf Registered User

Pft, good luck with that.

1 person has thanked this post
ceadaoin. Registered User

Filmer Paradise said:

It's mind boggling how kids can be "taught" a language for so long and still most of them emerge with only a few phrases, myself included. I studied french for way less time than that and can understand most stuff, am able to hold a conversation and get by on holiday without using English. Id even be more proficient in Spanish than irish and I only did that for junior cert. I mean, how is that even possible? How have they not realised that the teaching methods need an overhaul by this stage?

13 people have thanked this post
Wibbs Wibbed for your pleasure

Greyfox said:
Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language
That's a large part of the problem G. For the vast majority of Irish people, it's no longer our native language. It's our ancestral language to varying degrees removed(e.g. a native born and bred in Donegal it could be native or a generation removed, to a native born and bred Dub it could be up to two centuries removed).

The extension to that problem has been and remains the assumption in schooling that it is our native language and we'll naturally just fall into knowing it. That's why folks like ceadaoin above(and many more of us) are more fluent in languages like French or Spanish, because they were treated like and taught as "foreign" languages from the get go.

In short; if you want more Irish speakers, treat and teach it like the "foreign" language it has become for the vast majority of Irish people.

8 people have thanked this post
Yamanoto Registered User

Filmer Paradise said:
I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools

Me two

13 people have thanked this post
misterbizmuth Registered User

Oranage2 said:
Is English taught any better?

Well in fairness once the English lesson ends, the following lessons do continue to be taught also in English, be they history, maths, geography, or whatever. When your Irish lesson is over you don't hear a single word of Irish spoke again until the next day your teacher deems to do so.

In that sense kids are, whether they know it or not, continually learning English throughout the school day. They are also learning without consciously "being taught" by simply interacting with siblings, parents, neighbours, etc, when they go home in the evening.

1 person has thanked this post
TheDavester Registered User

rather the time would be spent on useful languages (or classes e.g. Coding) in the real world, ie Spanish/French/german/even Chinese

5 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!