OscarMIlde Registered User

n97
sharper said:
It's a shame they didn't run the 66E through chapelizod bypass to compensate for the extra running time.

Terminus should be in Celbridge instead of Maynooth. Would alleviate the situation with the 67 somewhat, and would connect Celbridge and Leixlip.

I think there should be an orbital route connecting Leixlip-Maynooth-Celbridge in a loop. It makes sense considering the range of businesses around Backweston, Intel in Leixlip, and the University in Maynooth. That would leave the city centre routes free to go straight to town rather than getting stuck in the next town.

1 person has thanked this post
Amirani Moderator

Chris_5339762 said:
Serious question: Why would a continuous bus lane NOT be an option? Surely thats what proper public transport should do?

Current routing makes it very difficult, Terenure particularly is a bottleneck that can't really be fixed.

BusConnects aims to switch the current 16 routing to go through Rathmines where it will have priority measures for pretty much its entirety. There's no reason that the 16 needs to go through Terenure > Harold's Cross > Leonard's Corner, alternative routes can be provided here on less pressurised buses.

3 people have thanked this post
Rechuchote Registered User

Amirani said:
Current routing makes it very difficult, Terenure particularly is a bottleneck that can't really be fixed.

BusConnects aims to switch the current 16 routing to go through Rathmines where it will have priority measures for pretty much its entirety. There's no reason that the 16 needs to go through Terenure > Harold's Cross > Leonard's Corner, alternative routes can be provided here on less pressurised buses.

Speaking as one who lives in Harold's Cross, I disagree completely. The 16 is a much used local route. But as far as I know (from postings by several local residents' association) the plan is not to put the 16 through Rathmines, but to continue it through Harold's Cross - but madly, it wouldn't serve the airport any more on its northern end.

It's also planned to make it much less frequent - in fact the whole Bus Connects fludge seems to involve far less frequency - the spine that goes along the Lower Kimmage Road (with, they imagine, no cycling allowed on that road) is planned to be around every 25 minutes, far, far less frequent than current buses.

Qrt Registered User

Rechuchote said:
Speaking as one who lives in Harold's Cross, I disagree completely. The 16 is a much used local route. But as far as I know (from postings by several local residents' association) the plan is not to put the 16 through Rathmines, but to continue it through Harold's Cross - but madly, it wouldn't serve the airport any more on its northern end.

It's also planned to make it much less frequent - in fact the whole Bus Connects fludge seems to involve far less frequency - the spine that goes along the Lower Kimmage Road (with, they imagine, no cycling allowed on that road) is planned to be around every 25 minutes, far, far less frequent than current buses.

The F spine is meant to be every 8-10 minutes or so, I don't understand where you got 25 mins from.

Qrt said:
The F spine is meant to be every 8-10 minutes or so, I don't understand where you got 25 mins from.

8-10 minutes at midday, 25 minutes at other times, I'm told.

L1011 Moderator

You've been told wrong

5 people have thanked this post
CatInABox Moderator

Rechuchote said:
8-10 minutes at midday, 25 minutes at other times, I'm told.

It's 8 minutes all day long, from 6 in the morning to 11 at night. At peak times, this increases to 5 minutes.

GM228 Registered User

Stephen15 said:
The GAI buses were being repainted in Volvo/Irish Commercials out in Naas I believe. I think DB buses go there too for warranty work.

Both Harris Commercials on the Naas road and Freeneys in Tallaght have been repainting the GA buses.

Freeneys also do all the DB and BE painting.

Qrt Registered User

GM228 said:
Both Harris Commercials on the Naas road and Freeneys in Tallaght have been repainting the GA buses.

Freeneys also do all the DB and BE painting.

I've always wondered why I used to see DB buses in Whitestown!

Thargor Registered User

How long would it take to get from Bray to IKEA on that bus do you think? Probably faster to cycle it just like the 145 right now.

Thargor said:
How long would it take to get from Bray to IKEA on that bus do you think? Probably faster to cycle it just like the 145 right now.

If it's the 140 you're talking about, a fair while; isn't its southern terminus in Rathmines?

Tarabuses Registered User

Rechuchote said:
If it's the 140 you're talking about, a fair while; isn't its southern terminus in Rathmines?

I think he is referring to the new proposed route 45.

Ah, in that case you will be transported at the speed of light as if you'd said "Beam me up, Scotty".

ITV2 Registered User

Tarabuses said:
I think he is referring to the new proposed route 45.
it'll be route 155 :-)

Qrt Registered User

ITV2 said:
it'll be route 155 :-)

has this been clarified?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!