LeinsterDub Registered User
#46

splinter65 said:
That’s because nobody wants it.


Square the cycle of homeless crisis and empty houses people don't want?

LeinsterDub Registered User
#47

fxotoole said:
OP, since you’re so interested in finding out how many units are sitting unused, why don’t you put in an FOI request to DCC, rather than moaning about it on the Internet?


I'm not moaning about anything. I'm having a discussion on a discussion board about it. Since opening this thread I've contacted my local TD and councillor, found out why the Constitution hill units are empty and that DCC are very under staffed (I knew this before but not to the degree that has been shown)

2 people have thanked this post
mad m Registered User
#48

mariaalice said:
Then the issue outside of the council's control could be highlighted as well and something done about it, it would put a spotlight on the issue.


Person passes away in house or apartment. Sometimes next of kin are in another country or they are never found. DCC need a permission to dump personal items, but if no next of kin is found this can be done at local level . The other scenario is person passes away, next of kin are given time to go through personal stuff and remove if need be. This can take up to 3 or 4 visits.

This is just one issue.

Believe me there is huge emphasis on getting a vacant flat turned around as quick as possible by DCC.

Edgware Registered User
#49

kceire said:
When a house is empty, it is placed into the list to get renovated and brought up to minimum rental standards. Most Local TD's or Councilors will have the list for their area.

Creating a separate list anywhere else will not achieve anything. Flow of funding and staff to get these properties up to standard quicker is what should be increased.

That would be the sensible approach

Mrs OBumble Registered User
#50

mariaalice said:
If someone set up a website that tracked empty council house and the length they were empty it would be a genuine piece of activism that might achieve something by putting the councils under pressure to do something.


You think the councils are just sitting on their hands doing nothing? Really???

1 person has thanked this post
mariaalice Registered User
#51

Mrs OBumble said:
You think the councils are just sitting on their hands doing nothing? Really???


No of course not, but its a bit like A and E how come some hospitals are better than others at managing it.

If council x can turn over a tenancy in say 15 days and council y takes 90 days on average there must be a reason. More staff is not always the answer as per the situation in health care.

1 person has thanked this post
the_syco Registered User
#52

LeinsterDub said:
Square the cycle of homeless crisis and empty houses people don't want?

You don't go from living on the street, to a house. You go from living on the street, to a hostel, to a more permanent room somewhere, and then to a house. If the room you're currently living in is in a secure building where your children are safe in, you will stay in said room over moving to a building where the "stairwells are dark and littered". Also, the kids in said hotel rooms may have better facilities nearby, than "playing on a spray-painted football pitch on top of a row of nearby sheds"

mariaalice said:
If someone set up a website that tracked empty council house and the length they were empty it would be a genuine piece of activism that might achieve something by putting the councils under pressure to do something.

So you want to force the councils to concentrate on housing, and ignore other issues? Perhaps spend the money on redoing up a house for one family, rather than spend money housing a number of families in rented accommodation? The councils can only do so much with their budget.

riclad Registered User
#53

I know of dcc flat in 2016, in good condition, it was left vacant ,
for 8 months before they did anything to it ,apart from
boarding up door with metal frame.In dublin area.Most hotels have no play areas for kids , at least the ones in the city centre where most homeless people go.
It may be different outside dublin.
some flats are left empty for 12 months or more in dublin area .
In my experience .

the_syco Registered User
#54

riclad said:
some flats are left empty for 12 months or more in dublin area

Location, neighbours, and AFAIK, if you don't select any option, you can stay where you are with the same benefits, so why move if you don't want to?

riclad Registered User
#55

I lived in a flat for 5 years, i moved out, it was about 8 months before they did anything.
i think they removed old kitchen units and put in new units.
they also put in new carpets .
Empty flats is nothing to do with people refusing them,
if person 1 refuses a flat,
the next person on the list will probably take it.
The council cleans the flat and fix,s anything that needs fixing.
Or maybe puts in new floor coverings.
Most of the people on the housing list are living at home ,or in private rented accomodation,
they are not waiting for a transfer from one council flat to another.

1 person has thanked this post
Graces7 Registered User
#56

riclad said:
I lived in a flat for 5 years, i moved out, it was about 8 months before they did anything.
i think they removed old kitchen units and put in new units.
they also put in new carpets .
Empty flats is nothing to do with people refusing them,
if person 1 refuses a flat,
the next person on the list will probably take it.
The council cleans the flat and fix,s anything that needs fixing.
Or maybe puts in new floor coverings.
Most of the people on the housing list are living at home ,or in private rented accomodation,
they are not waiting for a transfer from one council flat to another.


I found this place; it was empty 5 years. When I approached the local council they said that there was no demand for social housing here... I was in imminent danger of having to live in my car and they said I could take it. that it needed cleaning and painting and the ESB reconnected. A month they said. I said I would do the painting and cleaning etc; i have heard the "a month" story before.... moved in within ten days. Took them 5 months to sort the ESB so I did right.
Wonder how many perfectly good dwellings are lying empty like this one was

(Why can I not add emoticons please?)

riclad Registered User
#57

i can only speak of dublin, maybe in certain rural area,s theres low demand for social housing.
In the 80,s there were 100,s of empty flats in dublin, you could walk
into a flat ,put a new lock on the door and sign a form in the council office and you would become a tenant .
The flats were not even boarded up .
Even in dublin where theres high demand flats are left empty,
for months after a tenant moves out.

1 person has thanked this post
power pants Registered User
#58

riclad said:
i can only speak of dublin, maybe in certain rural area,s theres low demand for social housing.
In the 80,s there were 100,s of empty flats in dublin, you could walk
into a flat ,put a new lock on the door and sign a form in the council office and you would become a tenant .
The flats were not even boarded up .
Even in dublin where theres high demand flats are left empty,
for months after a tenant moves out.


A friend of mine told me he did that in the early 90s in one of the flats on Dorset st

Just literally walked in and lived in the flat for 6 years but eventually was thrown out

Dcc never really knew exactly what stock they had in possession or not back then

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!