LeinsterDub Registered User

Does anyone know if their is a list of housing owned by LA's that isn't currently in use?

Perhaps we should make a list ourselves?

Caranica Registered User

To what end? Unoccupied social housing is not fit for occupation, as soon as it is it will be brought back into the system.

4 people have thanked this post
kceire Moderator

LeinsterDub said:
Does anyone know if their is a list of housing owned by LA's that isn't currently in use?

Perhaps we should make a list ourselves?

When a house is empty, it is placed into the list to get renovated and brought up to minimum rental standards. Most Local TD's or Councilors will have the list for their area.

Creating a separate list anywhere else will not achieve anything. Flow of funding and staff to get these properties up to standard quicker is what should be increased.

7 people have thanked this post
mikemac2 Registered User

kceire said:
Most Local TD's or Councilors will have the list for their area.

And inform the happy new tenants it was themselves who got the tenants housed even if they had nothing to do with it

4 people have thanked this post
power pants Registered User

mikemac2 said:
And inform the happy new tenants it was themselves who got the tenants housed even if they had nothing to do with it

There is a 2 bed apartment local authority flat that is lying vacant 2 years now. The complex is relatively new, last 10-15 years

The flat has had 3 viewings that I know off in the last 2 years, but all 3 refused. Too small and wanted a house

I rang dcc and they said the flat is now being left as another complex needs rejuvenating so the flat will go to a tenant there whilst this is being done

I rang in Jan 2018

At present, still empty and going on 3 years now

1 person has thanked this post

Caranica said:
To what end? Unoccupied social housing is not fit for occupation, as soon as it is it will be brought back into the system.

There is housing in the DCC area which has been unoccupied for nearly a decade

kceire said:
When a house is empty, it is placed into the list to get renovated and brought up to minimum rental standards. Most Local TD's or Councilors will have the list for their area.

Creating a separate list anywhere else will not achieve anything. Flow of funding and staff to get these properties up to standard quicker is what should be increased.

When you have DCC talking about housing people on a cruise ship there is something seriously wrong with their priorities when we potentially hundreds of empty units in the city.

3 people have thanked this post
kceire Moderator

LeinsterDub said:
When you have DCC talking about housing people on a cruise ship there is something seriously wrong with their priorities when we potentially hundreds of empty units in the city.

DCC had considered renting a ship for up to 150 homeless people to ease the crisis, before they shelved the idea.

Obviously some journalist has just gotten hands on lists or options prepared at some stage.

I don't think housing on a cruise ship ever was that close to reality.

kceire said:
DCC had considered renting a ship for up to 150 homeless people to ease the crisis, before they shelved the idea.

Obviously some journalist has just gotten hands on lists or options prepared at some stage.

I don't think housing on a cruise ship ever was that close to reality.

Your really missing the point , how can we be in the middle of a housing shortage or crises ,I don't really mind what you call it and have hundreds of units all over the city lying idle.

2 people have thanked this post
Xterminator Registered User

the reason they are unfinished is because council budgets were slashed, and they dont have many tilers, electricians plumbers etc, as they were all let go, and now they have to either pay contractors or wait for the few personnel to get around.

if budgets were restored to pre crash levels, they could turn around the housing stock quicker.

if the councils were required to publish details of empty stock, and average turnaround times, we could hold them accountable.

3 people have thanked this post
kceire Moderator

LeinsterDub said:
Your really missing the point , how can we be in the middle of a housing shortage or crises ,I don't really mind what you call it and have hundreds of units all over the city lying idle.

Slashed budget.
Slashed Staff.
Condition of said properties.
Getting contractors to carry out the work. Believe it or not, Private contractor are turning down council work now as private work is so busy and pays more, quicker.

kceire said:
Slashed budget.
Slashed Staff.
Condition of said properties.
Getting contractors to carry out the work. Believe it or not, Private contractor are turning down council work now as private work is so busy and pays more, quicker.

I fully understand that. You're post are coming across very aggressive I'm not sure if that's your intention but that's how they are appearing.

I'm not having a go at the councils. I do however think we should know how many of these units there are, how much it would cost to repair them and how many they could accommodate.

mad m Registered User

DCC has roughly 30000 dwellings, with a mixture of houses and apartments. 1-2% can be vacant awaiting allocation or refurbishment.As Kceire stated contractors are turning away council work in favour of other more highly paid contracts plus they are finding it hard to employ and keep good trades. It’s a merry go round.

kceire Moderator

LeinsterDub said:
I

I'm not having a go at the councils. I do however think we should know how many of these units there are, how much it would cost to repair them and how many they could accommodate.

You can and the info is out there somewhere.
Your local TD/Councillor will have the full list.

My local councillor posts it on Facebook every now and again.

You could also possibly request this info by FOI.

mad m Registered User

Xterminator said:
the reason they are unfinished is because council budgets were slashed, and they dont have many tilers, electricians plumbers etc, as they were all let go, and now they have to either pay contractors or wait for the few personnel to get around.

if budgets were restored to pre crash levels, they could turn around the housing stock quicker.

if the councils were required to publish details of empty stock, and average turnaround times, we could hold them accountable.

Direct labour to refurb dwellings is virtually gone as you rightly stated above due to employment embargo and slashed budgets. They can hardly do general maintenance let alone refurbishing vacant properties. It’s mainly contractors now but they are out the door with others contracts

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!