• 13-15 and Still Smoke (10.95%)
  • 13-15 and Ex Smoker (16.06%)
  • 16-17 and Still Smoke (3.65%)
  • 16-17 and Ex Smoker (6.57%)
  • 18-20 and Still Smoke (3.65%)
  • 18-20 and Ex Smoker (2.92%)
  • Over 21 and Still Smoke (3.65%)
  • Over 21 and Ex Smoker (5.84%)
  • Only smoked a few cigarettes ever (10.95%)
  • Never Smoked (23.36%)
Mark25 Registered User

Was standing outside where I work during the week when a young lad about13/14 came up and asked me for a smoke.

Was thinking he was very young to be smokig these days but remember back to being 13 and starting to smoke mrself. I got a job during the school holidays after 1st year heelping out washing cars at a garage that a feiend of my Dad;s owned. I remember the first day there having my lunch with the guy I was helping and him asking me if I wanted a cigarette and he gave me a smoke and that was my first one. Thought I was all grown up earning money and smoking. Kept smoking after that when I went back to school and eventually getting caught at break time and getting into trouble in school and then the dreaded letter home. Am 33 now so hard to believe that was 20 years ago now!

jr86 Registered User

17 although i was never really a regular smoker, bar on/off in college. Nowadays it's extremely rare, maybe 1 at 2am if locked.

I find far less teenagers smoke now than when i was in school about 15-20 years ago.

Its obviously a lot more expensive now to buy a pack, they dont sell them in 10s anymore and overall smoking rates are obviously decreasing - we're a lot more health conscious

I'd say the average age of people starting is moving nearer to college age than 13/14 these days

2 people have thanked this post
jim salter Registered User

Started at 11 because it was cool. Quit at 31 because it was stupid

17 people have thanked this post
Star Bingo Registered User

That dastardly nick o’ teen pushed his wares on me too!

Lisha Registered User

14, stopped when I was 29and pregnant. Am 40now, still off them but I eat too much

3 people have thanked this post
myshirt Registered User

I was 9.

I started on the Chocolate cigarettes.

needwater Registered User

Didn't smoke a cigarette until 21, on a particularly **** day I was out walking with 2 friends and they were lighting up and it seemed appropriate.

Got into more of a habit when a girlfriend of mine smoked. Thankfully gave it up except the very occasional one after that

1 person has thanked this post
ShatterResistant Registered User

Started smoking at 18 when I began going to The George on my own before coming out - handiest way to get chatting to people when you were on your own.

Been in love with the fags ever since.

18 people have thanked this post
myshirt Registered User

ShatterResistant said:
Started smoking at 18 when I began going to The George on my own before coming out - handiest way to get chatting to people when you were on your own.

I would have thought you would smoke cigars.

3 people have thanked this post
Fieldog Registered User

Started at 13, gave them up at 36, lungs still recovering...

Only started to impress some lady who's name I can't even remember

myshirt Registered User

I was 9, and I'm ashamed of myself looking back. I would be quite upset if I found my own 9 year old smoking now. You could buy loose cigarettes at the time. Moved on to drinking at 13, albeit not in any meaningful way until I was about 15, just a few cans here and there. Friend got addicted to heroin at around 17 which was an eye opener, so decided to clean up my act, done my leaving cert, gave up the fags, earned a law degree, became a solicitor, had kids, and the rest they say is history.

8 people have thanked this post
Mark25 Registered User

jr86 said:
17 although i was never really a regular smoker, bar on/off in college. Nowadays it's extremely rare, maybe 1 at 2am if locked.

I find far less teenagers smoke now than when i was in school about 15-20 years ago.

Its obviously a lot more expensive now to buy a pack, they dont sell them in 10s anymore and overall smoking rates are obviously decreasing - we're a lot more health conscious

I'd say the average age of people starting is moving nearer to college age than 13/14 these days

They are so espensive now irs hard to see how kids could even afford them unless they were working or something. Remember the 10 packs - much easier to hide them!

Ive said I will give up when I am35 so 2 more years to go. Amazing how many people are just social smokers and will just smoke when they are out

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! Don't forget to swipe right

Started at around 24

I was a late bloomer. Have been smoking ever since, witha few months off at a time.

Thinking of the amount of money i spend on them hardly bears thinking about... now I need a fag.

Stu Redman Registered User

Because I was weak, and there were these cool new smoking areas opening in every other pub.

Mark25 Registered User

ShatterResistant said:

At least you got to make the joke yourself!

I know they say its anti social but it is an easier way to meet people. That was how I first met my last gf. She only smoked when drinking or out and never bought her own. If we were going out for a night she would ask me to get Marlboro Lights instead of JP Blue as she preferred them

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!