Boards.ie: Niamh Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest does some work in MACRO Photography and Videography which he'd like to answer your questions about.

What is it?
Macro Photography is photographing small things at close range, and Macro Videogaphy is filming at close quarters.

What kinds of things can it be used for?
Looking at sprouting shoots in a botanical context, insects, architectural models, wooden furniture inspection, inspection for particles of rust, small motor working (like the inside of an electric Model Locomotive), clockwork model locomotives inner workings.

In my budget there is no really suitable camera for Macro use, so for Video Production I use a GoXtreme BlackHawk 4K. This is good for filming things like an N Scale Model Railway - N Scale is 1/148 scale although lettering in this scale will not be legible. For Macro Photography, I employ a Toshiba S20 camcorder.

Ask away!

1 person has thanked this post
amcalester Registered User

When you tell people you photograph small things at close range, do they make small penis jokes?

9 people have thanked this post
I'm a Macro Photographer, AMA Verified representative

amcalester said:
When you tell people you photograph small things at close range, do they make small penis jokes?

I'd rather not answer.

Boards.ie: Niamh Boards.ie Community Manager

Can we stick to the subject of photography and videography please? Thanks.

pleasant Co. delightful

How did you get into that line of work? it seems like such and interesting niche

miamee Registered User

This sounds very interesting, how small can you actually get? From a non-photographer (unless my camera phone counts ) how many times can you zoom in to something? Like x100 or x1000?

Is this something you get hired professionally for or more of a hobby? If you get hired, what kinds of things do you get hired for?

Sabre0001 Registered User

What are the most interesting subjects to capture up close?

What do you think of macro lenses being released for mobile phones and in the hands of the general population?

enda1 Registered User

Is this your living or a hobby?

pleasant Co. said:
How did you get into that line of work? it seems like such and interesting niche

It really bank with a small 1/48 scale radio control tank I bought in 2009. Very detailed machine too. Fairly cheap at 35 euro, and the other important thing is it was'nt infra red.

Discovered the turrett could be easily removed.

Around the same time, I bought my first mini DV cam, also known as thumbcam.

And here's what the thing looks like[ATTACH]461270[/ATTACH]

Attachments
smallshot.jpg
2 people have thanked this post

miamee said:
This sounds very interesting, how small can you actually get? From a non-photographer (unless my camera phone counts )
Is this something you get hired professionally for or more of a hobby? If you get hired, what kinds of things do you get hired for?

Realistically down to 1/150 scale.

If I'm hired, for botany, people's back gardens , the big IF here is that
I won't venture my caterpillar platform on soil/clay as this will destroy the motors in the caterpillar.
The caterpillar machine is small enough to travel on breaks between roseflower beds.

This machine is usable on grass up to golf course height, gravel, mulch, woodchip.

Very much a hobby still tbh. The niche I fill is between aerial cam and water cams

Sabre0001 said:
What are the most interesting subjects to capture up close?

What do you think of macro lenses being released for mobile phones and in the hands of the general population?

these lenses are there for a number of years. A lot of useless ones as well on sale, which I purchased.

But I bought one on Ali Express a few years ago, I will upload a pic of it if I find it later on.

general population: they're a curiosity, and tbh the packet of 5 red lenses I bought from a smartphone repair shop is aimed at such people.

funkey_monkey Registered User

Can we see some examples of your work so that we an idea about what you do?

Do you get commissioned to do stuff or how do you actually earn a living from this?

enda1 said:
Is this your living or a hobby?

a side earner more than anything. not enough demand in the Irish Market.

Glad I kept my Flickr account!! Nearly deleted it after Flickr was taken over by smugmug.

I have a YouTube personal channel as well, but the policy changes made by Google to YouTube literally wiped me out there.

partyjungle Registered User

How did you get into photography? What was your first paid job?

What's a caterpillar platform?

funkey_monkey said:
Can we see some examples of your work so that we an idea about what you do?

here you go[ATTACH]461271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]461272[/ATTACH]

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!