Ragnar Lothbrok Registered User

cml387 said:
I'd neglected Marmite for years until Tescos announced that they'd stop stocking it after a row with the supplier. Then I got some.

Put Marmite on toast and put scrambled eggs on top. Beautiful.

Tesco have their own version. It's passable, but a million miles away from the real stuff.

As with toilet roll and good bread, I don't mind spending extra to guarantee quality.

Badly Drunk Boy Registered User

I've never tasted either, and I never will. I don't eat any sort of cheese, and Marmite doesn't appeal to me at all.

I remember comedian Dave Gorman, on his programme Modern Life is Good-ish, saying that when he was being interviewed by somebody from a magazine when he was asked the question "Do you think you are a Marmite sort of person?".

He replied by saying "Are you asking if people either like me or hate me?". She clarified with "No, I'm just wondering if you like Marmite or not.". This reply frustrated him.

1 person has thanked this post
BeerWolf Registered User
1 person has thanked this post
Graces7 Registered User

suicide_circus said:
well it's an acquired taste, those who spent time in dear old blighty or the antipodes are more likely to have acquired it.

Vegemite in Australia? I grew up in Lancashire and we neve r had marmite. Must have adopted it as an adult, maybe at university? Hmm,, will think about that..

Graces7 said:
Vegemite in Australia? I grew up in Lancashire and we neve r had marmite. Must have adopted it as an adult, maybe at university? Hmm,, will think about that..

I grew up just down the road from you, in Derbyshire.

And I'm looking forward to tasting Vegemite when I visit my daughter in Australia for the first time next year. It might even be the highlight of my trip

Graces7 Registered User

Ragnar Lothbrok said:
I grew up just down the road from you, in Derbyshire.

And I'm looking forward to tasting Vegemite when I visit my daughter in Australia for the first time next year. It might even be the highlight of my trip

Loved derbyshire... haddon hall especially. It was where we went on Sundays...

But vegemite IS marmite?

Oh I'd always assumed Vegemite was similar, but different. Can't possibly be as good though, nothing is as good as Marmite

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!