windmilllane Registered User

My brother owns a house and he rents it out. He looks after the lawn and depending on weather /his other commitments he calls at different times of day / Days of week. Needless to say he never goes into the house. Tenant says she would like prior notice of him calling. He is tempted to tell her to cut the lawn herself. Does anyome know is he obliged to inform tenant he will be calling to cut lawn. Thanks

Pelvis Registered User

Wtf is he cutting the grass for?

Yes he should give notice.

14 people have thanked this post
punisher5112 Registered User

If he has to enter any part of the property then yes he would need to arrange.

What lease has he in place?
If he decides now to let them look after it they probably won't and he may cause issues where they will then bring a case or just stop payment.

delly Radiator

I'd say it's absolutely fair to ask for notice. I know he's not going in the house, but he would be in very close quarters to the house and that can feel like an invasion of privacy if it can happen at any time.

5 people have thanked this post
Samuel T. Cogley Registered User

YEs he shoud give her notice and yes get her to cut her own bloody lawn.

11 people have thanked this post
colm_mcm Registered User

I assume a text in advance is all she wants, not too much to ask.

10 people have thanked this post
4ensic15 Registered User

windmilllane said:
My brother owns a house and he rents it out. He looks after the lawn and depending on weather /his other commitments he calls at different times of day / Days of week. Needless to say he never goes into the house. Tenant says she would like prior notice of him calling. He is tempted to tell her to cut the lawn herself. Does anyome know is he obliged to inform tenant he will be calling to cut lawn. Thanks

He is not obliged to give the tenant notice. Under the RTA he is obliged to maintain the lawn unless the contract provides otherwise. She can undertake to cut it herself or pay to have it cut if she doesn't like him coming.

colm_mcm Registered User

This is more a common courtesy thing than anything IMO. Nobody wants to be in a situation where their landlord could be in the garden unannounced at any given time.

It’s great that he maintains the lawn, but it does eat into the tehants’ privacy in reality.

windmilllane Registered User

Thanks for all the replies

TheBoyConor Registered User

Is she not being a bit precious here?

He's trying to be a good landlord by maintaining the property by cutting the grass and actually making things easy for her so she don't have to do it or pay for someone to do it. In my opinion she should be thankful.

Lucky my landlord cuts our grass here where I rent my house. We didn't agree it, he just has always done it and that's the way it's always been. I literally couldn't give two sh!ts when he does it as long as it's not 3am or whatever. I wouldn't want to be bothered getting calls or texts saying he was coming to cut it because I simply don't give a monkeys about the grass.

7 people have thanked this post
ted1 Registered User

The tenant should be cutting their own grass, it’s akin to hovering.

It’s a bit ridiculous to want the security of a home but not treating it as one.

2 people have thanked this post
PucaMama Registered User

Yes out of manners give notice. Could be simple as sending a text?

Landlords are supposed to maintain the outside of the property.

ted1 Registered User

PucaMama said:
Yes out of manners give notice. Could be simple as sending a text?

Landlords are supposed to maintain the outside of the property.

I wouldn’t classify cutting the grass as maintenance just like I don’t classify hoovering

Most leases where there is a garden will state this tenant is responsible

Graces7 Registered User

colm_mcm said:
This is more a common courtesy thing than anything IMO. Nobody wants to be in a situation where their landlord could be in the garden unannounced at any given time.

It’s great that he maintains the lawn, but it does eat into the tehants’ privacy in reality.

Houses have windows.

4ensic15 Registered User

Graces7 said:
Houses have windows.

Windows have curtains.

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!