naoise225 Registered User

Hi so today I got the biggest shock of my life when visiting the hairdresser. I went to a salon in the heart of Dublin city centre. The reason I chose it was because I heard it was good and reasonably priced.

I phoned to make an appointment last week and I warned the lady on the phone that my hair was really damaged and matted. She said that they could sorted me out and quoted me €80 with a blowdry.

I went for my appointment today and it was clear that the girl who was doing my hair didn't have much experience. It took her awhile and she didn't seem to be able to know how to handle it. I didn't really mind too much. Soon, another stylist jumped in and got through it much quicker. You could tell she had more experience. Anyway, the stylist got through my hair and did a lovely job.

I got to the till and was told I owed them €155!!! This is with a 10 minute mask, brushing and a blowdry. No colour or cut! I was there for nearly 3 hours and nobody intervened to tell me that the price I was quoted had significantly increased. I really don't mind investing in my hair when I can, but I thought it would've been decent of them to tell me it would be more expensive out of courtesy? At the same time though it feels like way too much to pay!

asked to speak to the owner so he could provide me with a valid reason as to why I was paying this kind of money, and the receptionist said he was too busy. He said he would email me, but I haven't heard a thing!! The receptionist made me feel guilty about the whole thing too. She kept saying, "well your hair was really knotty", I said "I know that's why I came in to get some help." To be honest I felt a bit humiliated and I felt bad. I appreciated the time the stylist had spent with me and I didn't have enough cash to give her a decent tip.

Can anyone please advise what the best thing to do is? Is this normal in Dublin?

Iamxavier Registered User

Wtf did I just read?

37 people have thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

The OP is quite difficult to read due to no paragraphs... I think I've got the meaning of it though.

You were quoted a price up front and at no point was it mentioned that extra chargeable work was required. If this was a car going for a service you'd be asked before they started. I'm not sure of any specific etiquette involved with how hair salons work (frequenting a barber instead!) but I'd question whether it is legally acceptable to do this anyway.

Do they have a published price list online? If so, does the price make any sense for items on it?

4 people have thanked this post
skooterblue2 Registered User

You didnt get a haircut..... you were fleeced.

26 people have thanked this post
sugarman Registered User

€155??? I'd have said the initial €80 was mad money. It's €40 for a wash, cut and blow-dry in my local in Dublin.

3 people have thanked this post
TheBeach Registered User

If it took them 3 hours to brush your hair there must have been a lot of work in it, but yes, it would be interesting to see how they broke down the price.

4 people have thanked this post

L1011 said:
The OP is quite difficult to read due to no paragraphs... I think I've got the meaning of it though.

You were quoted a price up front and at no point was it mentioned that extra chargeable work was required. If this was a car going for a service you'd be asked before they started. I'm not sure of any specific etiquette involved with how hair salons work (frequenting a barber instead!) but I'd question whether it is legally acceptable to do this anyway.

Do they have a published price list online? If so, does the price make any sense for items on it?

I think that's my main issue. I was quoted something completely different and they did not consult me of the sudden increase. I'm not sure of what I'm entitled to do legally.

I am waiting for the owners response, before I post a negative review online.

The price list states €65.

1 person has thanked this post

sugarman said:
€155??? I'd have said the initial €80 was mad money. It's €40 for a wash, cut and blow-dry in my local in Dublin.

I'll be looking for the name of that salon!

TheBeach said:
If it took them 3 hours to brush your hair there must have been a lot of work in it, but yes, it would be interesting to see how they broke down the price.

Yes, I agree with that. I think the fact they quoted me something different was the issue. I'm waiting for the owner to reply with a proper breakdown of the price. It still doesn't seem right as I've never been charged that much before.

skooterblue2 Registered User

Yes, I agree with that. I think the fact they quoted me something different was the issue. I'm waiting for the owner to reply with a proper breakdown of the price. It still doesn't seem right as I've never been charged that much before.

You arent going to get that unless you walk down with your solicitor. Some of these hairdressers think they are gods and a hairdressers if you own one is a lisence to print money.

2 people have thanked this post
screamer Registered User

3 hours of work is how many blow drys, cuts, colours etc.... A lot. You're paying for their time and to be fair most salons charge more for longer or more difficult hair......

6 people have thanked this post

screamer said:
3 hours of work is how many blow drys, cuts, colours etc.... A lot. You're paying for their time and to be fair most salons charge more for longer or more difficult hair......

It's more the fact that I was quoted a different price...

dudara Administrator

You shouldn’t have paid until you were given a justification. Now that you’ve paid, you have very little to stand on.

I can understand the salon charging extra if there was a heavier workload than expected (for the sale of comparison my regular wash, cut & blow dry is c €80 and takes ~1hr), but they need to have told you and explained it to you.

3 people have thanked this post
mickdw Registered User

They should have looked at you when they started and said, we need to do x y or z to get things right and unfortunately it will be an extra €75 if you want to go for it.
What if you only had €80 on you?

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod

You mentioned the staff member changed, some places charge different rates for different hair dressers

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!