blanch152 Registered User
#1,276

Thatnastyboy said:
They bought at the very top of values.

Bought for about 300k, property next door currently for sale today for 210k,

90k negative if you look at purchase price only. As for interest, I'm not privvy to the actual figures at the moment..

I think the bolded bit is true, but it's reality - and I'm sure they don't enjoy being told how privileged they are for being landlords...

It still doesn't make sense.

https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/

A 90% 35-year mortgage at 4%, gives a monthly payment of €1,100.

After ten years, the outstanding balance is 219k, meaning they are only in negative equity of 10k. Not great but not insurmountable.

A more normal 25-year 90% mortgage, on a tracker rate of 2%, would leave the outstanding balance at 175k, a positive equity situation of 35k, enough for a deposit on another property.

Seathrun66 Registered User
#1,277

topper75 said:
In a country where it is absolutely legal to wear a burka style headdress, there can be no way in which you can question the executive force of the law wearing balaclavas.

Not for the Gardai. They’re prohibited from wearing burkas or any form of religious paraphernalia. The use of balaclavas in this instance is not justifiable, particularly if they’ve no recognisable unique identification in the event of violent clashes. Officers need to be identifiable in the event of use of excess force.

1 person has thanked this post
Captain Obvious Registered User
#1,278

Seathrun66 said:
Not for the Gardai. They’re prohibited from wearing burkas or any form of religious paraphernalia. The use of balaclavas in this instance is not justifiable, particularly if they’ve no recognisable unique identification in the event of violent clashes. Officers need to be identifiable in the event of use of excess force.

That's why they wore their numbers on their shoulders.

3 people have thanked this post
PlaneSpeeking Registered User
#1,279

dav3 said:
I agree, education should always be encouraged for the hand of thinking.

And especially those who cannot distinguish between a typographical error when typing quickly and not actually knowing what word to use.

Go find your own argument eh ?

Thatnastyboy Registered User
#1,280

blanch152 said:
It still doesn't make sense.

https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/

A 90% 35-year mortgage at 4%, gives a monthly payment of €1,100.

After ten years, the outstanding balance is 219k, meaning they are only in negative equity of 10k. Not great but not insurmountable.

A more normal 25-year 90% mortgage, on a tracker rate of 2%, would leave the outstanding balance at 175k, a positive equity situation of 35k, enough for a deposit on another property.

I will get the figures later because I cant place my point without them.

Your top assumption is 100% not the case here. Otherwise they wouldnt be in the pickle they are in.

BBFAN Registered User
#1,281

PlaneSpeeking said:
Really ? Not that you deserve an explanation but education should always be encouraged for the hard of thinking:

So you might want to wind your neck in and as painful as it may be, realise you DO NOT know everyone's life.

You have one pair of pennys runners to your name?

Yeah, you mind want to wind your own neck in there and get down off the cross.

Can not stand martyrs.

That's either a lie or you're just cheap. Either way, nothing to do with poverty.

I presume you're a working person since you rant all the time about the "spongers"?

2 people have thanked this post
Johnny Dogs Registered User
#1,282

ohnonotgmail said:
the removal was done under the order of the court. why is that an issue for you?

It's not, and I don't know how you missed me saying that either.

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! Don't forget to swipe right
#1,283

Thatnastyboy said:
They're in the country though, so affected by the same crisis the cities are feeling. So move the goalposts to Dublin if you like.

I'm not moving the goalposts, maybe you didn't notice that i specifically referenced the urban areas of the country from the outset.

I'm originally from the countryside myself, I know very well that property prices haven't recovered there (although 'recovery' seems the wrong word to use, for prices that were wildly inflated to begin with).

In any event, rural property isn't really relevant to the housing and homelessness crisis.

dav3 Registered User
#1,284

The main issue is the behaviour of the Gardaí and the perception that they were there siding with unidentified masked men, rather than carrying out the job they are paid to do following the three simple Policing Principles that state that policing services must be provided:
1) Independent and impartially.
2) In a manner that respects human rights.
3) In a manner that supports the proper and effective administration of justice.

This has led to all sorts of accusations, including the rumour that the masked men were known to the Gardaí. Rumours that they were a criminal gang from the UK, or a criminal gang from Ireland, or a paramilitary gang from the north, or even Gardaí themselves looking for a bit of extra money on the side and not wanting to be identified.

With so many Gardaí getting into property and becoming landlords during the boom, you can understand why people may be concerned over the possibility of them taking the side of the landlord and whatever masked goons turn up at the next protest.

The housing crisis is not going away, it appears that the protests are only just beginning. Hopefully the Gardaí have their house in order by the next event.

4 people have thanked this post
Will I Am Not Registered User
#1,285

dav3 said:
The main issue is the behaviour of the Gardaí and the perception that they were there siding with unidentified masked men, rather than carrying out the job they are paid to do following the three simple Policing Principles that state that policing services must be provided:
1) Independent and impartially.
2) In a manner that respects human rights.
3) In a manner that supports the proper and effective administration of justice.

This has led to all sorts of accusations, including the rumour that the masked men were known to the Gardaí. Rumours that they were a criminal gang from the UK, or a criminal gang from Ireland, or a paramilitary gang from the north, or even Gardaí themselves looking for a bit of extra money on the side and not wanting to be identified.

With so many Gardaí getting into property and becoming landlords during the boom, you can understand why people may be concerned over the possibility of them taking the side of the landlord and whatever masked goons turn up at the next protest.

The housing crisis is not going away, it appears that the protests are only just beginning. Hopefully the Gardaí have their house in order by the next event.

Do you have a number for that?

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! Don't forget to swipe right
#1,286

Will I Am Not said:
Do you have a number for that?

In fairness, it's a fairly common experience, i think it has something to do with the early retirement age of Gardaí, who in recent years have often tended to become landlords as part of their pension plan/ part-time job in retirement.

I rented in Dublin before i bought my place, and over the course of about seven years, two of my landlords were retired gardaí. It's only anecdotal, I'm not sure who would possibly gather data on this.

3 people have thanked this post
ohnonotgmail Registered User
#1,287

Johnny Dogs said:
It's not, and I don't know how you missed me saying that either.

Now maybe i read your post incorrectly, in which case i apologise, but to me this reads like you DO have a problem with who did the removing and unders whos orders it was done.

**and I have zero problem with the protesters removal, just who did the removing, and under who's orders**

Thatnastyboy Registered User
#1,288

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! said:
I'm not moving the goalposts, maybe you didn't notice that i specifically referenced the urban areas of the country from the outset.

I'm originally from the countryside myself, I know very well that property prices haven't recovered there (although 'recovery' seems the wrong word to use, for prices that were wildly inflated to begin with).

In any event, rural property isn't really relevant to the housing and homelessness crisis.

What about the folk who currently cant afford to buy/rent rural properties? Do they not matter?

*Edit - 1000th post, what a waste

Will I Am Not Registered User
#1,289

In fairness, it's a fairly common experience, i think it has something to do with the early retirement age of Gardaí, who in recent years have often tended to become landlords as part of their pension plan/ part-time job in retirement.

I rented in Dublin before i bought my place, and over the course of about seven years, two of my landlords were retired gardaí. It's only anecdotal, I'm not sure who would possibly gather data on this.

Never knew it was a thing at all. Sure I thought they were on terrible wages...

Amirani Moderator
#1,290

Property values are higher than they were during the last boom.

Nope, they're not. If you're basing you're entire argument on this then it's definitely flawed. There will definitely still be people in negative equity in Dublin as house prices have not yet reached their previous peak, they remain a good bit below.

Rent prices have exceeded previous peak.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!