silverharp Registered User

Andy From Sligo said:
if you were really flush and it was a special occasion - so once in a blue moon . the family would go out and eat in a Berni Inn !

The menu was very extensive! :

Starters consisted of melon boat with maraschino cherry, or prawn cocktail,

Mains, steak, gammon steak or plaice with chips, and peas,

Dessert: Black Forest gateau or a choice from the cheese board (Danish Blue, Stilton or Cheddar)

and then Irish coffee and After Eight mints

(dont think there was a vegetarian option )

Bernie inn's were established in 1955

as a kid in the 70's I only remember going to hotels (normally when some yank was over paying the bills) . but something like Jury's or the grill there. My favourite starter was egg mayonnaise , in hindsight seems odd as there would have been no issue having that at home but seemed like a treat back then.

1 person has thanked this post
Neyite Giraffe

In the 80's very often a starter option at a wedding or dinner dance was a tiny glass of orange juice. Made from concentrate.

I remember those tasteless Dunnes own brand pizzas. Utter cardboard. I remember buying a pack of Tayto in the clear bag for 8pence. I'd have 2p left from my pocket money and would get 4 gobstoppers at a halfpenny each.

Things like monster munch and stinger bars however lost out in the E-number restrictions and were never the same since.

2 people have thanked this post
looksee Moderator

Andy From Sligo said:
haha - was it Wínkles you had ? - used to love them on Sundays evening tea lol

No, it was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)

lol, dammit. F and then aggot

Andy From Sligo Registered User

looksee said:
No, it was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)

lol, dammit. F and then aggot

haha

brains Faggots

looksee Moderator

How did you get away with that? Oh yes, the a.

looksee said:
How did you get away with that? Oh yes, the a.

we are all adults on boards (well most!) and have heard the naughty words and offensive labels given to certain type of people - so why do they star out the words like that? - I dunno

DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User

Andy From Sligo said:
maybe it was because they had a tougher life - i cannot see how people can say that cancers these days have nothing to do with additives, pollution, microwave ovens, smoking, and other stuff.

of course food must have been better then back in the day without additives, E numbers, pesticides and all that

True, the rise of cancer has to be down to something.

I know genetics play a huge part but like you say lifestyle choices, environment, diet can also have a say.

Alun Registered User

DEFTLEFTHAND said:
True, the rise of cancer has to be down to something.

The most significant factor is that we're living longer ...

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/02/04/why-are-cancer-rates-increasing/

3 people have thanked this post

Alun said:

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/02/04/why-are-cancer-rates-increasing/

and because we are living longer we have more chance of catching something / having something that could kill us ? - if you died in your 40's years ago then who knows if you lived whether you would have caught cancer in your 50's onwards? .. theres no way of knowing

neris Registered User

Andy From Sligo said:
Coffe was that liquid Camp stuff - I think they still do it over here in Ireland but it was called irel or something like that. Liquid chicory it was ..

its called starbucks

Shenshen Moderator

Alun said:

Plus the increased rate of diagnosis, also mentioned in the report you linked.
We're now diagnosing and treating cancers that are benign, and may in the past have gone entirely unnoticed throughout a person's life.
We're looking closer, so we're finding more.

2 people have thanked this post
BellaBella Registered User

Neyite said:
In the 80's very often a starter option at a wedding or dinner dance was a tiny glass of orange juice. Made from concentrate.

I remember those tasteless Dunnes own brand pizzas. Utter cardboard. I remember buying a pack of Tayto in the clear bag for 8pence. I'd have 2p left from my pocket money and would get 4 gobstoppers at a halfpenny each.

Things like monster munch and stinger bars however lost out in the E-number restrictions and were never the same since.

At the Dropping Well in Milltown a glass of orange is still offered as a starter on the menu. It looks really odd, particularly as it's a pub that serves food.

I still like Prawn cocktail starters - but you dont see too many places do that as starters now ... never have been a soup person .. its just flavoured water so I never order that for starters

Kat1170 Registered User

Andy From Sligo said:
I still like Prawn cocktail starters - but you dont see too many places do that as starters now ... never have been a soup person .. its just flavoured water so I never order that for starters

Well, technically, that describes all food

Graces7 Registered User

Andy From Sligo said:
disagree slightly - if you have slaved over cooking and you dish up and your kids have their elbows on the table I think it height of rudeness whether there space or not - sit up straight , look like your enjoying your dinner eat properly , dont pick at it or move it around the plate , eat nicely and dont ram it all in - be thankful that you have food - many other people are starving around the world, be appreciative that someone has taken the time to slave over a hot cooker and made the food for you and put the knife and fork neatly together on the plate at the end of the meal!

AND CLEAR YOUR PLATE! never leave anything...or you stay sitting at the table until your plate is empty

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!