jos28 Registered User

Ya'll looking forward to the new series on RTE tonight ?

1 person has thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

Yep. Can't watch live but will record.

Cyrus T Buford Registered User

Yes!! Will be interesting!

Who is first up?

spurious Category Moderator

Damien Dempsey.

pinkypinky Moderator

Well, they packed in a lot to one episode.

jos28 Registered User

It jumped around a lot, still didn't find the origin of the name Dempsey. I would have liked to see them trace the Canadian line. Some very interesting people in his lineage. Plenty of inspiration for song writing for Damien

mod9maple Registered User

jos28 said:
It jumped around a lot, still didn't find the origin of the name Dempsey. I would have liked to see them trace the Canadian line. Some very interesting people in his lineage. Plenty of inspiration for song writing for Damien

As an Irish-Canadian dual national I would say the same. Pity they didn't. Where in Canada was he from? And where did he originate before that? Missed opportunity that I think.

pinkypinky Moderator

They probably couldn't trace him.

Hermy Registered User

Interesting episode.

I was hoping they'd deal with the Bridgeman side of his family as I have so far been unable to connect his branch to the main tree which I descend from. Those 1841 Freedom of Dublin entries certainly seem to suggest that they are all of the one family but as ever [and perhaps understandably] the programme was short on the sort of detail that we genealogy nuts crave.

Where can I go or who could I talk to to find out more?

pinkypinky Moderator

Timeline did all the research. They might not be willing to share it though.

Hermy Registered User

But what about the 1841 Freemen of Dublin?
Where can I view that or make further enquiries re same?

Just rang Dublin City Archives and hope to hear back from the archivist in due course.

mod9maple Registered User

pinkypinky said:
They probably couldn't trace him.

Yeah, that's a definite possibility. I enjoyed the episode overall, I'm a huge supporter of Damien, I've a lot of time for him.

Hermy Registered User

I got a reply from Timeline. As Pinky suggested they were limited in what they could say but the reply was helpful nonetheless.

VirginiaB Registered User

Check out John Grenham's blog today.  He has worked on Dempsey's ancestry for three years but it was not mentioned on the show tho they used his research.  Dempsey had to pretend to be surprised.  Interesting.

3 people have thanked this post
pedroeibar1 Registered User

That series reminds me of a local supermarket’s ‘special offer’ on wine. You try a bottle (watch an episode), like it and buy a case (watch the series). But, and it’s always a big ‘but’, the others rarely live up to expectation, are rubbish and leave a sour taste.

I missed the Dempsey episode, saw Short last night. Very disappointing and made worse by an assumption that the audience are total idiots. The granduncle was described several times as a ‘James Bond’ character in London during WW2. We are informed that he trained in the Irish Army’s Signal Corps, where he was a ‘radio engineer’. No proof supplied. He was not an officer: most of the enlisted men in Signals were trained as linesmen or as radio operators (radio technique/Morse code); very, very few were radio engineers, almost all of those were officers because the qualification was one that required several years of study, with either City & Guilds exams or / and part-time attendance at Kevin St. Tech. (as it was called in those days). Soldiers enlisted, they were trained, they left and they invariably became ships radio officers having served their time or bought their way out. No proof for sexing it up, Shortt’s granduncle worked in a factory making electronics, no more. The ‘Bond / secrecy’ banter was mere nonsense, everyone was told not to talk, “Walls have ears!” and he was as close to being James Bond as a girl on a munitions factory line in Birmingham.

It also is disappointing that despite the frequent mentions of the Limerick connection and the opening shot of the village sign of ‘Castleconnell’ the area got no further mention. For example, a John Shortt (of Nevis and the Windward Islands) was a Cromwellian-era adventurer who with his daughter had property in Castleconnell after the Commonwealth. Some research on that – even to rule them out - would have contributed to making an interesting programme, but possibly it would not have enough ‘oohh, aah’ for a gullible audience.

It was nice to see Des Marnane getting an airing, his books/articles on Tipperary are invaluable for those with a connection there.

Best, as Grenham says, to enjoy the series like Bismarck’s sausages. Quite suitable to occupy couch potatoes, but ……………..

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!