hasdanta Registered User
#16

I've been checked twice on the Luas in the past year and its always been done by an inspector in civilian clothing.

Stephen15 Registered User
#17

The NTA should be setting up their own revenue protection which would operate across all buses (DB + GAI), Luas and DART. Rather than have each operator responsible for their own revenue protection. That would mean it would be balanced across the board. It would also mean ticket inspectors on the Luas could hop off the Luas and hop onto a bus or a DART.

Victor Registered User
#18

Stephen15 said:
The NTA should be setting up their own revenue protection which would operate across all buses (DB + GAI), Luas and DART. Rather than have each operator responsible for their own revenue protection. That would mean it would be balanced across the board. It would also mean ticket inspectors on the Luas could hop off the Luas and hop onto a bus or a DART.


This potentially absolves operators of the responsibility of selling tickets.

GM228 Registered User
#19

The popular use of plain clothes inspectors on the LUAS is dubious considering that they legally must be in uniform which is "provided or authorised" in order to exercise their powers.

This is a specific requirement of the Transport (Railway Infrastructure) Act 2001 (as amended) which affords them their powers.

The question raised then is plain clothes considered a "uniform"?

Stephen15 Registered User
#20

GM228 said:
The popular use of plain clothes inspectors on the LUAS is dubious considering that they legally must be in uniform which is "provided or authorised" in order to exercise their powers.

This is a specific requirement of the Transport (Railway Infrastructure) Act 2001 (as amended) which affords them their powers.

The question raised then is plain clothes considered a "uniform"?


Could having an ID badge not count as a uniform?

GM228 Registered User
#21

Stephen15 said:
Could having an ID badge not count as a uniform?


I'm not sure how any court could interpret "uniform" as being simply an ID badge.

mfceiling Registered User
#22

Could you "check" your pockets for your tickets and then just hop off at the next stop?
I presume the inspectors have no powers to restrain you?

GM228 Registered User
#23

mfceiling said:
Could you "check" your pockets for your tickets and then just hop off at the next stop?
I presume the inspectors have no powers to restrain you?


They can actually arrest you in circumstances where they consider it to be justified!

vectorvictor Registered User
#24

GM228 said:
I'm not sure how any court could interpret "uniform" as being simply an ID badge.


Although Luas Revenue protection do go plain clothes it is not overly common.

What is very common is raggy looking students checking tickets with an iPad style device. This is TFI or someone working on their behalf doing surveys. They have no power or interest regarding fare dodgers , they will ask what route you are taking and note no ticket and move on. This is how we get billboards like "Over 95% of Luas passengers pay their fare"

Stephen15 Registered User
#25

GM228 said:
I'm not sure how any court could interpret "uniform" as being simply an ID badge.


Stranger things have happened

mfceiling Registered User
#26

GM228 said:
They can actually arrest you in circumstances where they consider it to be justified!


Wow!! Wasn't aware of that. So can they physically stop you from walking off?

punisher5112 Registered User
#27

XPS_Zero said:
Same with DB, anytime I see them it's getting on at the garage in Donnybrook or one of the others, never see them way out in middle of 75 route say


You mad they don't do feck all.

There are only 4 and one of the 4 follows in a car.

I would honestly say you are more likely to get shot or aids then be checked on a db

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!