Kermit.de.frog Registered User

Current situation

It's about to begin

Snow cover in to a good chunk of central Siberia within the next 72 hours and central northern and western Canada within the next 120 hours as the first cold incursions occur.

Keep an eye over the next couple of days...

I'll keep the thread and imagery updated.

36 people have thanked this post
Pa ElGrande Registered User

Farmers’ Almanac Winter Outlook At A Glance: (For the continental US)
27 Aug 2018

• Colder-than-normal conditions are predicted from the Continental Divide east through the Appalachians.
  • Above-normal snowfall predicted for Great Lakes, Midwest, New England, Pacific Northwest
  • Frigid weather is expected in mid-February, which may also bring blustery and bitter winds, widespread snow showers, especially in zones 1, 2, and 3.
  • Winter will hang on with stormy conditions up through the official start of spring, especially for the East Coast.

The Almanac also forecasts an unusually snowy and/or wet winter across the Pacific Northwest, Northeast, and Mid-Atlantic States; in these regions, the thermometer will be hovering just above or just below the freezing mark, which means some of the precipitation may fall as either ice or rain/freezing rain.

<snip>

A Late Start to Spring?

Mid-March could be stormy virtually coast to coast, bringing snow, sleet, and/or rain as well as strong and gusty winds to many areas. In particular, we are red-flagging March 20–23 for a potent East Coast storm that could deliver a wide variety of wintry precipitation just as we are making the transition from winter to spring. So, no matter what the groundhog says in February, you’ll know winter isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

(Sounds like last spring, doesn’t it? Speaking of which, find out how the Farmers’ Almanac forecast fared last year.)

1 person has thanked this post

Can boardsies see the images? Not working for me occasionally.

Lucreto Registered User

Kermit.de.frog said:
Can boardsies see the images? Not working for me occasionally.

I can't see them but I did when the thread just started.

Ok, thanks. Well, here are the links. These update automatically each day.

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow.gif

https://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Not much to write home about just yet.

fritzelly Registered User

Are you saying this will be the winter to beat all winters?
Bring it on (but maybe a bit too early to be speculating, feck lets enjoy the last bits of summer first)

sryanbruen Registered User

Mhmmmmm.....

3 people have thanked this post

sryanbruen
Mhmmmmm.....

OK Syran I give up what are we looking at here? The next ice age? Lol

There has been an increase in snow cover over parts of northern Siberia overnight. Nothing unusual so far but there will be rapid buildup between now and the end of the month as cold incursions become more frequent and start to pool.

I'd like to see the start of a build back west of the snow pack toward Europe by the middle/end of October and into November and Scandanavia will have it's first snowfields by the end of the month which is standard.

There should be snow into the northwest territories and Nunavut in Canada over the next few days too with the season's first real incursion there.

15 people have thanked this post
sryanbruen Registered User

Missymoohaa said:
OK Syran I give up what are we looking at here? The next ice age? Lol

Ice age.... no way . You're looking at snow cover gradually increasing over Siberia which will continue to do so during the Autumn and I expect it to be a fast season of snow cover extent into Eurasia via a strong Siberian High. I talk about these sorts of things in the Winter discussion thread if you'd like to see what it means for Winter.

10 people have thanked this post
Artane2002 Registered User

Siberian snow cover as of yesterday. An increase from last week (but less snow cover than there was 2 days ago)

RebelButtMunch Registered User

Artane2002 said:
Siberian snow cover as of yesterday. An increase from last week (but less snow cover than there was 2 days ago)

What's the significance of that?

RebelButtMunch said:
What's the significance of that?

In October, we like to see the snow cover expanding westwards. Winter is more likely to be cold if there is significant Siberian snow cover. I'm not sure if the snow itself has any significance but the westwards progress of the snow is supported by the Siberian High, a key player in winter. A strong Siberian High can bring cold conditions from the east here (although if it isn't aligned properly it could bring mild and wet weather)

4 people have thanked this post

There has been a notable increase in snow in the extreme east of Russia as of yesterday. There's a slight decrease in the south of Siberia but nothing to lose sleep over. Post #11 has the image (the image updates itself everyday).

This is less important for Ireland but since this is a NH snow/ice thread, there has been a massive increase in snow cover in the far northwest of Canada.

5 people have thanked this post

Slight increase in the snow cover in Siberia. Post #11 has the picture (for some reason the picture won't load on the touch site..).

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!