Creative83 Registered User

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/morning-trains-from-portmarnock-into-dublin-city-centre-to-reduce-frequency-1.3615664

I don't see their issue here... what I do see is that they are upset to be taken off the commuter line trains which will add 10 mins to their journeys via DART.

That is really what they are complaining about, the quick diesel into town.

Oh well, times change, move on.

CalamariFritti Registered User

I wonder would you say that if you lived there.

13 people have thanked this post
Atlantic Dawn Registered User

Once they allow trains to overtake on the Dublin lines a lot of these problems will be resolved, current line is like something out of 1885 wild west.

5 people have thanked this post

CalamariFritti said:
I wonder would you say that if you lived there.

I wouldn't behave like that over a lousy 10 minutes

1 person has thanked this post

Atlantic Dawn said:
Once they allow trains to overtake on the Dublin lines a lot of these problems will be resolved, current line is like something out of 1885 wild west.

Is that even feasible?

GerardKeating Registered User

Creative83 said:
Is that even feasible?

Some sections of the track could be tripple/quad tracked easily. but not all without smashing some houses.

2 people have thanked this post

GerardKeating said:
Some sections of the track could be tripple/quad tracked easily. but not all without smashing some houses.

Sure, we could decimate Clontarf, who needs them

GerardKeating Registered User

Creative83 said:
Sure, we could decimate Clontarf, who needs them

Why so negative, way less that 10% of Clontarf required. While the line between Kilbarack and Raheny would have houses right up to the lines, about half the line between Raheny and Harmonstown would have space for quad tracks, and from Killester Station to Clontarf road (except for the bit when the Howth road goes under the line).

4 people have thanked this post
Decuc500 Registered User

Creative83 said:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/morning-trains-from-portmarnock-into-dublin-city-centre-to-reduce-frequency-1.3615664

I don't see their issue here... what I do see is that they are upset to be taken off the commuter line trains which will add 10 mins to their journeys via DART.

They're complaining about less trains during the busiest hour of the day. From 6 trains to 3 between 8 and 9 am. It means even more people having to get already over crowded darts.

30 people have thanked this post
end of the road Registered User

Creative83 said:

not move on as times change isn't relevant, and they feel they have a legitimate complaint.

Creative83 said:
Rubbish because there will be also a greater frequency of Darts through Howth Junction... the darts are practically empty from Malahide on which Portmarnock is the first stop

apparently the greater dart frequency will still leave less trains then what they currently have. so if true, then it's most certainly not rubbish.

Cookie_Monster Registered User

end of the road said:
apparently the greater dart frequency will still leave less trains then what they currently have..

the number of trains is not really relevant though, just the actual overall capacity available. So if empty darts provide more capacity than 90% full commuters it's still a win

end of the road Registered User

Cookie_Monster said:
the number of trains is not really relevant though, just the actual overall capacity available. So if empty darts provide more capacity than 90% full commuters it's still a win

i'd disagree that it's a win. more like trading frequency for capacity. for it to be a win in my book, they would need to keep the same level of service as they have now with a capacity increase as well.

Cookie_Monster Registered User

end of the road said:
i'd disagree that it's a win.
of course you do...
end of the road said:

more like trading frequency for capacity. for it to be a win in my book, they would need to keep the same level of service as they have now with a capacity increase as well.

but that's not realistic is it?

Kh1993 Registered User

I thought the point of the 10 minute darts was frequency. Being sold as everyone as you can walk down the station whenever without a long wait.

Yet now the passengers of these 3 stations are being told actually its for capacity. The exact reason we’re being told the timetable needs to change, for frequency not capacity. Slightly bizarre. As a commuter I’d much prefer the current regular 70% full trains with standing space at the 3 stations then a 20 minute gap just to sit on a slower train.

(And with high frequency buses due to serve some of these stations under Bus Connects, the link from north county stations to places like Beaumont, DCU etc are practically severed).

5 people have thanked this post
d15ude Registered User

Creative83 said:

Yes, times are changing. There are more houses in the area than ever before.
If anything, there should be more and quicker trains!

I'm in D15, so no personal stakes in Portmarnock.
But same issues here.

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!