Stephen15 Registered User

LorenzoB said:
It's rubbish. It goes through Dundrum village ffs. A bus full of students landed 25 minutes after their lectures started yesterday, having been almost 2 hours on the bus.

And it appears the NTA have taken the even crazier idea of sending the 75 through the heart of Dundrum Village.

2 people have thanked this post
AlekSmart Registered User

Stephen15 said:
And it appears the NTA have taken the even crazier idea of sending the 75 through the heart of Dundrum Village.

Indeed,this is apparently the situation from October.

It may simply be that whomever within the NTA makes these decisions,is a Northsider and thus blissfully unaware of what actually constitutes Dundrum Village,and therefore will be open to a change of mind ?

Then again,perhaps not....

3 people have thanked this post
Lord Glentoran Registered User

Stephen15 said:
I wonder would it be quicker if going from DL to Tallaght to get the 75 to Dundrum and then change to the 175 in Dundrum rather than going directly if it was timed correctly. Also for a more frequent connection you could the 46a to UCD and then get the 175 to Tallaght but this would take longer.

DL to Tallaght? Dart and tram surely. You would want to be a particularly dedicated bus bunny to do the 75 at all, let alone go for a 175 on top of that.

Lord Glentoran said:
DL to Tallaght? Dart and tram surely. You would want to be a particularly dedicated bus bunny to do the 75 at all, let alone go for a 175 on top of that.

75 to Dundrum and then the 175 to Tallaght could work out quicker and would avoid having to go through town.

Victor Registered User

Lord Glentoran said:

Fare structures, in particular monthly / annual tickets and capping encourage sticking to one mode, to the detriment of the passenger.

5 people have thanked this post

Stephen15 said:
75 to Dundrum and then the 175 to Tallaght could work out quicker and would avoid having to go through town.

That will be a comforting thought while being utterly bogged down in Dundrum.

Victor said:
Fare structures, in particular monthly / annual tickets and capping encourage sticking to one mode, to the detriment of the passenger.

Clearly that has to change.

Qrt Registered User

I got this from Dundrum Luas to Jobstown today. It arrived ten minutes later than the timetable says, and took about an hour and five minutes to get to my stop. Not great but definitely a tremendous improvement.

Vladi_ Registered User

I've tried 175 a few times now in different parts of day/morning and 75 definitely works better (well, quicker) for me for Tallaght to Dundrum route.

devnull Moderator

Vladi_ said:
I've tried 175 a few times now in different parts of day/morning and 75 definitely works better (well, quicker) for me for Tallaght to Dundrum route.

From what I've heard they're pretty well used by UCD students though so far, reports of quite full buses leaving there, so clearly going down well with some people.

1 person has thanked this post

devnull said:
From what I've heard they're pretty well used by UCD students though so far, reports of quite full buses leaving there, so clearly going down well with some people.

I was driving along Taney Road tonight and noticed someone was standing waiting for it at almost every stop.

sugarman Registered User

Lord Glentoran said:

Victor said:

Not only that but theres quicker alternatives, I find the 27 & 46a combo is the best option at present as both buses are every 10/15mins during peak hours. Takes me a little over an hour. Where as the 75 all the way takes closer to 2 at times, the norm being about 1hr 40mins.

If only the 65 was more frequent/more reliable at present, hopping off at Portobello and taking a 5min stroll down the canal to Leeson St Bridge and hopping on the 46a there can be done in an hour.

Wont get to test the 175 for awhile yet, doesnt sound too promising tho.

Qrt Registered User

sugarman said:
Not only that but theres quicker alternatives, I find the 27 & 46a combo is the best option at present as both buses are every 10/15mins during peak hours. Takes me a little over an hour. Where as the 75 all the way takes closer to 2 at times, the norm being about 1hr 40mins.

If only the 65 was more frequent/more reliable at present, hopping off at Portobello and taking a 5min stroll down the canal to Leeson St Bridge and hopping on the 46a there can be done in an hour.

Wont get to test the 175 for awhile yet, doesnt sound too promising tho.

An hour? On the 27? I assume you don't do the whole route?

vectorvictor Registered User

Tried this route twice for a short part of the overall route from UCD to Dundrum.

The buses are nice and have that new bus smell (well they smell like new carpet to be honest). My one was a 182D so I presume a new delivery and not a DB transfer?

Drivers very pleasant and they look the part.

But, these guys are obviously very new. Are they largely completely new to driving buses rather than moving from other companies? The bus crawled and stopping at bus stops seemed like a very cautiously taken maneuver and alot of preemptive breaking / slowing down far in advance of what would be normal on DB or for a car driver.

Maybe they are just driving the way buses should always have been driven but it felt unnatural. That said, we've all got to start somewhere and it's an observation not a judgement.

RTPI at all stops was active and the onboard announcements working.

4 people have thanked this post
Qrt Registered User

mrs.may said:
Its doomed to fail going the current route, need bus lands and priority light changes, i dont blame GA, no one could make this operate faster, the NTA are to blame , should have had roads sorted before it started, it dont give much hope for Bus Connects, new routes no new "help" for buses to move smooth and fast.

The layout at J12 is atrocious. There's two lanes to turn into the M50 from Ballyboden, and one to go straight ahead. They need to take one of the lanes and make it a bus lane. I think I was ten minutes there basically stationary.

It also showed up about 15 minutes later than indicated at the stop timetable.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!