MJohnston Registered User

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/42341.php#.W3QURn7TUUE

The Irish Rugby Football Union and the Welsh Rugby Union have joined forces to create a new development competition, the Celtic Cup, for the emerging professional players from the four Irish provinces and four Welsh regions.

The tournament, which features development squads from Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Cardiff Blues, the Dragons, the Ospreys and the Scarlets, aims to provide a learning environment for players, coaches and referees by recreating the week-to-week challenges presented by senior professional rugby.

The Celtic Cup will run over seven consecutive weeks, commencing on Friday, September 7. Teams will have to prepare for a different opposition each week, manage their physical preparation and recovery and analyse their performances as they grow as individuals and collectively.

The eight teams will be divided into two conferences of four Welsh regions and four Irish provinces. Each Irish province will play each of the Welsh regions and will play against two Irish provinces. Similarly, the Welsh regions will play each of the Irish provinces and will play two of their Welsh counterparts. The top-ranked province from the Irish conference will play the top-ranked region from the Welsh conference in the inaugural final (venue to be confirmed).

2 people have thanked this post
The Lost Sheep Registered User

Been discussed in a few places especially the AIL thread considering its impact on the top divisions for the open weeks of the season

molloyjh Registered User

Had heard a comp was being set up but didn’t know the details. Good to see it progressing. Anyone know why the Scots pulled out? I believe this was meant to include them as well.

molloyjh said:
Had heard a comp was being set up but didn’t know the details. Good to see it progressing. Anyone know why the Scots pulled out? I believe this was meant to include them as well.
Scottish sides had pulled out of the British and Irish Cup a few years back because of changes to it. I think they didnt return to this as its being played so early in season and would in their eyes compromise their scottish premiership

1 person has thanked this post
irishbucsfan Registered User

molloyjh said:

They’re playing in a seperate competition but expected to rejoin in future

Larbre34 Registered User

Is this replacing the B&I or additional?

Larbre34 said:
Is this replacing the B&I or additional?
Replacing.

partyjungle Registered User

Ulster A v Leinster A in Malone RFC tomorrow
Leinster
Hugo Keenan, Michael Silvester, Conor O'Brien, Tom Daly (c), Jack Kelly, Harry Byrne, Patrick Patterson;
Ed Byrne, Ronan Kelleher, Vakh Abdaladze, Ross Molony, Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling, Scott Penney, Caelan Doris
Replacements: Dan Sheehan, Giuseppe Coyle, Jack Aungier, Ronan Foley, Ronan Watters, Hugh O'Sullivan, David Hawkshaw, Liam Turner
Ulster
Peter Nelson, Aaron Sexton, Jack Owens, James Hume, Iwan Hughes, Johnny McPhillips, Jonny Stewart; Schalk van der Merwe, Peter Cromie, Rodney Ah You, Peter Browne, Alex Thompson, Caleb Montgomery, Chris Henry (C), Greg Jones.
Replacements: Paul McGookin, Peter Cooper, Michael Cromie, Matthew Rea, Marcus Rea, Graham Curtis, Bruce Houston, Michael Stronge.

Munster A v Connacht A in Musgrave Park tomorrow
Connacht
Darragh Leader, Rory Scholes, Kieran Joyce, Peter Robb, Colm de Buitléar, Conor Fitzgerald, James Mitchell, Matthew Burke, Tom McCartney (c), Conor Carey, Peter Claffey, Joe Maksymiw, Cillian Gallagher, Cian Huxford, Mikey Wilson.
Replacements: Jonny Murphy, Jordan Duggan, Conor Kenny, Cormac Daly, Neal Moylett, Conor McKeon, Conor Dean, Sean O’Brien.
Munster
Stephen Fitzgerald; Calvin Nash, Matt More, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston, James Hart; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Ciaran Parker; Darren O’Shea (C), Sean O’Connor; Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.
Replacements: Billy Scannell, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Evan Mintern, Dan Walsh, Jack Stafford, Ben Healy, Liam Coombes.

Dubinusa Registered User

Cormac Daly with Connacht? Delighted to see Claffey is playing, I thought he was very good at u20 level.

Kick off 5pm in Malone and 5.30 in Musgrave. Anyone going?

Stephen Fitzgerald drops out for Munster. Alex Wootton moves to full-back, Liam Coombes moves to the wing and Sean French comes onto the bench

Leinster 28-7 up at half time
Munster up 5-3.

Clegg Registered User

Leinster win 28-43

13-12 to Connacht at half time.

Leinster scorers: Tries by Dan Sheehan, Harry Byrne, Conor O'Brien, Scott Penny, Michael Silvester and Ronan Kelleher. Harry Byrne got a penalty and 5 conversions
Ulster scorers: Tries Aaron Sexton, Greg Jones, 2 James Hume. 4 conversions McPhillips

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!