Isambard Registered User

yeah he means 458 I think

prinzeugen Registered User

devnull said:
I'm pretty sure that you mean a different train, since Class 485s were built in 1923-31 according to Wikipedia.

Sure, those trains with PIS systems will have to be adapted, but as far as I'm aware there is no requirement for any train without PIS systems to be fitted with one post 2020.

There is going to be a fair few loco hauled stock that will survive past 2020 with modifications as well as a few more types of older diesel units that will hold on past then with modifications, but the pacers will be gone!

The trend for LED's these days is white high definition displays, which are easier to read.

Sorry, didn't realise I had 485. I was on about the Alstlom class 458 for South West Trains.

Loco hauled/HST stock can only remain in service after 2020 if they have sliding doors.

There are exceptions such as the GWR sleeper, charter stock and any remaining Mk3 on Anglia.

The majority of older stock that is being retained post 2020 has or is being fitted with PIS along with other disability related mods.

White letters on a black background seems better to me anyway. The current Orange led with black is unreadable especially during the day. I recall reading something however that suggests orange on black is easier for people with poor sight.

p_haugh Registered User

Losty Dublin said:
VT's are getting on a bit and will be in need of replacement sooner or later. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

IIRC the VT's will be phased out by 2020.
Also, its rumoured that the NTA is not planning on ordering any more tri-axle busses, which is a shame.

Stephen15 Registered User

AlekSmart said:
The new BCI Tri-Axle which entered service this week in London has a VERY clear hi-definition LED display....

https://i.imgur.com/uVqgUVt.png

This is a very innovative and interesting machine,and one which the NTA should have sought to trial in Dublin.

I have heard they aren't meant to be good and have a number of health and safety concerns for both passengers and drivers. For example the upstairs doesn't even have handrails. This is all according to this London Bus driver.

https://www.facebook.com/chrissrealtalk/videos/170643753854282/

AlekSmart Registered User

Stephen15 said:
I have heard they aren't meant to be good and have a number of health and safety concerns for both passengers and drivers. For example the upstairs doesn't even have handrails. This is all according to this London Bus driver.

https://www.facebook.com/chrissrealtalk/videos/170643753854282/

It's wise to be wary of accepting "Staff Talk" as anything other than personal opinion,until the content can be independently verified.

The current NBRU-"Official" Busconnects Information Meetings is a case in point.

Dissing the BCI vehicles is but one example,as the issue of handrails is not specific to the model.

Several operators,amongst them Reading Buses,now have a policy of specifying Seat Mounted Grabrails as opposed to Stanchions,for the simple reason that possibly the main contributor to saloon noise is rattling stanchions.

Bus Bodywork is inherently flexible,a long wheelbase vehicle can flex and twist up to 55mm in each plane,so any physical connections between the structures will have to be enginered to move also...this is more difficult that might be initially thought.

Stanchionless saloons also give a more open and airy feel to the vehicle.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!