Jamie2k9 Registered User

Over the last few months the left turn from Marlborough and O Connell street has been causing major traffic congestion and if private cars were removed it would help as they have increased in recent months. Its more less a complete standstill between O Connell and Gardner St junction at peak hours these days.

I'm sure Dublin Bus and BE would support it. At the very least an even peak ban between 16.00-19.00 should be considered.

2 people have thanked this post
Yer Da sells Avon Registered User

Car park owners local businesses represented by fronts organisations like 'Dublin Town' might have some objections to that perfectly legitimate suggestion.

12 people have thanked this post
Jamie2k9 Registered User

Yer
Car park owners local businesses represented by fronts organisations like 'Dublin Town' might have some objections to that perfectly legitimate suggestion.

There is no shops but is a car park but I'm not sure if its for Irish Life or public one at the end.

Mr.Frame Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:
Over the last few months the left turn from Marlborough and O Connell street has been causing major traffic congestion and if private cars were removed it would help as they have increased in recent months. Its more less a complete standstill between O Connell and Gardner St junction at peak hours these days.

I'm sure Dublin Bus and BE would support it. At the very least an even peak ban between 16.00-19.00 should be considered.

So where do you propose the traffic should go then, if its removed from Abbey St

1 person has thanked this post
Ben D Bus Registered User

Mr.Frame said:
So where do you propose the traffic should go then, if its removed from Abbey St

Left from Marlborough St onto Eden Quay and left again onto Beresford Place? Cars off O'Connell St should be virtually non-existent anyway due to existing restrictions.

3 people have thanked this post
Jamie2k9 Registered User

Mr.Frame said:

That's not my problem, they shouldn't be coming down O'Connell Street to exit onto the Quays by Busaras. Its a very busy bus route.

Mr.Frame Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:
That's not my problem, they shouldn't be coming down O'Connell Street to exit onto the Quays by Busaras. Its a very busy bus route.

So no solution then!

n!ghtmancometh Registered User

Solution is to use public transport, and not to expect to be able to drive unhindered into the city centre where road space is at a premium, and should be put to use as efficiently as possible.

5 people have thanked this post
Carawaystick Registered User

Mr.Frame said:

same place the traffic from middle abbey st went, or the traffic on Grafton st went.
Away

8 people have thanked this post
liamog Registered User

They could remove traffic from Lower Abbey St up to the Irish Life car park exit. The entrance is now on Beresford Lane.

Mr.Frame Registered User

Carawaystick said:
same place the traffic from middle abbey st went, or the traffic on Grafton st went.
Away

Hence the posters post

veryangryman Registered User

"Not my problem "attitudes is what slows down the process of removing cars. Cork the first attempt on patrick street a case study

Arcade_Tryer Registered User

Introduce congestion charges in the city centre.

Allow people to drive in the city centre, but make them pay for the privilege.

The biggest issue is where the luas red line crosses the green line heading south

We've been known to be stuck at the red light there for easily over 7 mins (vehicles even idle shut down activating)

Then when they do go green only one vehicle can get through !

Private traffic on that stretch isint really an issue from what I see

Jamie2k9 Registered User

Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime said:
The biggest issue is where the luas red line crosses the green line heading south

We've been known to be stuck at the red light there for easily over 7 mins (vehicles even idle shut down activating)

Then when they do go green only one vehicle can get through !

Private traffic on that stretch isint really an issue from what I see

I do agree about lights issue, they need to revisit and depending on trams you could get a full line of traffic cleared but the real problem is after Marlborough you are backed up.

The route is heavily used by BE, DB and could be wrong but those tourist buses are a more recent addition than a few years ago. Reality is a car ban would not have any significant consequences but I suspect it will require congestion to get worse before a ban is floated.

"Not my problem "attitudes is what slows down the process of removing cars. Cork the first attempt on patrick street a case study

Comparing Patrick's street is mad, politics is what reversed this and the place was clogged up with cars since the ban was removed and rightfully put back in place all be it slightly altered.

They could remove traffic from Lower Abbey St up to the Irish Life car park exit. The entrance is now on Beresford Lane.

Exactly what I would like to see.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!