HippyAtHeart Registered User

Is anyone doing this currently? I found a similar thread from end 2017 but can’t post in it so it must be closed.

I’m in my 30’s and work full time in Dublin in a respectable job for an ok wage. I can’t afford a mortgage as I have other responsibilities that along with the astronomical cost of rent in Dublin prevent me from saving towards one.
The rental situation in the city and surrounding areas is truly shocking. I’ve work and landlord references, deposit etc but even with alerts set yp for suitable listings within an already stretched budget I find it hard to get viewings. When I do, I end up wasting my time looking at places that I wouldn’t put a dog in.... for the pleasure of forking out half my monthly wage no thanks.

Genuinely thinking a basic van conversion that I can sell later but rent a parking space to live out of in the medium term seems like a viable more affordable option. I could join a gym for showering esp at weekends, and there’s one in my place of work also.

Any tips welcome.

I’m not at all fussy about living conditions and have backpacked and camped manys a time in my holiday/free time, but when I am working hard I need to see my wage work for me. In the current market & pricing I just don’t, so am looking for a way to fix that while having a clean comfortable affordable place to return to in the evenings.

4 people have thanked this post
ConnyMcDavid Registered User

Although it's not relevant to living in a city like Dublin you might get some ideas on small details from this guy.

https://youtu.be/UaQ0NL7MrcA

https://youtu.be/GPYMXWBXS8s

3 people have thanked this post
Xterminator Registered User

Hi Op

it would play havoc with your eating habits and restrict your ability to cook healthy foods etc. might also take a toll on mental health.

would you not consider living in a caravan? IE you have a bed, cooking and showering facilities , TV et without the mortgage/big rent price tag?

_ZeeK_ Registered User

Would you consider a boat?

More space & comfort than a van and perhaps easier to find a fixed location on which to base yourself.

o1s1n Registered User

Big issue would be cleanliness. I wouldn't fancy sitting in work beside someone who sleeps in a van with no running water.

kceire Moderator

Renting a parking spot usually means it’s in a private, management company controlled estate. If the neighbors see that you are living in this van, they will report you and the permit revolked.

I see what you are trying to do but I fear you’d be constantly driving to different sites and parking spots throughout the city to make it work.

Graces7 Registered User

Only one way; try. Assuming you would have a camping stove? No reason not to eat well and similalry re hygiene . And good luck !

autumnbelle Registered User

Shows what this country is going to, best of luck with it op if it works out.

6 people have thanked this post
duckmusic Registered User

Instagram page for someone doing the exact same thing
https://www.instagram.com/fortheroadtrip/

Accumulator Registered User

fortheroadtrip is quality, could easily be turned into a book or tv series.

Possibly the cheapest ($150), smallest and stealthiest was made my this chap
https://www.elitereaders.com/man-builds-mini-camper-home-powered-surprising-source/?cn-reloaded=1
Ironically one of the key materials was 'property for sale' signs.
Along with duct tape, cable ties, foil insulation and a few screws

Probably the best quality (not cheap 50k+ new) and highest functionality (for it's size) is the VW doubleback
http://www.doubleback.co.uk/

1 person has thanked this post
M.Cribben Registered User

Full time workers looking at the option of living in a van.
Families of 7 sleeping in Garda stations.
The system is well and truly f**ked and the sad reality is the government seem either apathetic or powerless to do anything about it.

35 people have thanked this post
Eric Cartman Registered User

M.Cribben said:
The system is well and truly f**ked and the sad reality is the government seem either apathetic or powerless to do anything about it.

Many google workers in SF live in caravans and trucks in the parking lot

that woman was offered a home and declined it.

This is the reality of city living costs now, if you don't have a partner to split the rent with , you're basically screwed.

you can get a 3 month mooring at grand canal dock for a houseboat.

10 people have thanked this post
Edgware Registered User

M.Cribben said:

Probably apathetic

draiochtanois Registered User

Eric Cartman said:
Many google workers in SF live in caravans and trucks in the parking lot

that woman was offered a home and declined it.

This is the reality of city living costs now, if you don't have a partner to split the rent with , you're basically screwed.

A few Google employees did it, not many.

The expectation of living in an expensive capital city if you don't work is misguided.

Eric Cartman Registered User

draiochtanois said:
A few Google employees did it, not many.

The expectation of living in an expensive capital city if you don't work is misguided.

yet the government lets them decline properties and live in hotels... there are so many apartments in Dublin City that could be rented out to people who work.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!