Deebles McBeebles Registered User
#7,246

sightband said:
does this really happen though? do many of them actually seek employment? I've never come across a paye working traveller.

Have seen this once in my life.

sightband said:
it's mainly stuff like being refused entry to pubs, because they destroy them and also being asked to leave shops, because they rob them blind.

Have seen both many times.

KrustyUCC Registered User
#7,247

Deebles McBeebles said:
I voted independent once too but what's the point? They either get absorbed by the parties you didn't want to vote for or they can get absolutely nothing done by staying independent.

True

I absolutely believe in voting though so i needed somebody to vote for

1 person has thanked this post
sightband Registered User
#7,248

A family member is from Moate, Westmeath. Good number of pikeys around those parts. When one of them dies and there’s a funeral, all five pubs in the town close for the day. They know the loss of earnings for a day versus the risk of either having the place thrashed or having to pay compo for refusing them is a no brainer.

5 people have thanked this post
#7,249

That situation is repeated up and down the country

Some would claim that's racism

Nope just prior experience

BattleCorp Registered User
#7,250

Publicans are in a crap situation. Let travellers in and risk having your place trashed and losing your regulars. Don't let them in and possibly be breaking the law.

I worked in a pub that began to serve travellers. That lasted all of two weeks. The owner wasn't so keen on serving them after they wrecked the gaff.

6 people have thanked this post
#7,251

Yet the next bunch in would get compo if refused service

Damned if you do damned if you don't

Deebles McBeebles Registered User
#7,252

sightband said:
A family member is from Moate, Westmeath. Good number of pikeys around those parts. When one of them dies and there’s a funeral, all five pubs in the town close for the day. They know the loss of earnings for a day versus the risk of either having the place thrashed or having to pay compo for refusing them is a no brainer.

One kind publican in my town used to let his regulars in the back door while making sure the shutters out the front were shut tight.

Vox Nihili Registered User
#7,253

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! said:
...refusing to employ them on the basis of their ethnicity.

Plenty of employers will readily hire other ethnic and racial minorities, but will have reservations about employing travellers. Why? Not because of their ethnicity, but because of the documented prevalence of violence and criminality in the traveller community.

Also, if you cross one traveller, you can have the entire local traveller community coming after you. If a shop owner hires young Mary McDonagh to work in his business, and later discovers that she's been helping herself to the contents of the till, he probably faces intimidation and threats of violence from the entire local Quinn-McDonagh-Nevin connection if he has to fire her. He has legitimate reason to fear for his personal safety and for his business premises. Logical conclusion: Don't take the risk. Don't hire Mary McDonagh in the first place.

It's all very well for academics to sit in their ivory towers and write papers about discrimination and ethnicity and the plight of the poor travellers. Any business owner in Ireland knows it's far more complicated than that.

10 people have thanked this post
mynamejeff Registered User
#7,254

As for not knowing any travellers, I don't think i need to prove myself to some randomer on a bulletin board.

sure

long as you dont expect people to believe your made up BS and fantasy stories :-)

Gimme A Pound Registered User
#7,255

Actually, I'm talking about things like openly sniggering at travellers, using group epithets towards them like 'knacker', and refusing to employ them on the basis of their ethnicity

It is not just because of their ethnicity - and well you know it.

5 people have thanked this post
BattleCorp Registered User
#7,256

8 people have thanked this post
BBFAN Registered User
#7,257

sightband said:

What has any of this got to do with the thread?

A Tyrant Named Miltiades! Don't forget to swipe right
#7,258

Gimme A Pound said:
It is not just because of their ethnicity - and well you know it.

It can be, though.

People on this thread have openly admitted they wouldn't hire travellers (assuming for one moment they might actually be in a position to do so).

Obviously, there are HUGE problems with anti-social behaviour within the travelling community: petty crime, serious crime, domestic violence, even drug-dealing.

But to think that they are all like this, and to fail to draw a connection between these problems and a widespread refusal to employ a traveller, is pretty myopic.

The same people complaining that travellers tend to be unemployed are the very same people who declare they'd never give a traveller a job, regardless.

2 people have thanked this post
#7,259

It's still not because of ethnicity in and of itself - it's exactly what you mentioned: the disproportionate amount of violence, crime etc. Absolutely, not all travellers partake in same, but the risk is higher. That's what it's about - risk minimisation. Something all who hire staff need to be profoundly aware of, when it comes to anything or anyone. With travellers too, there is the additional risk of family ties even if the individual is ok.

Maybe if the person doing the hiring knows them and their family, what you say should apply.

#7,260

Yes I already made the point there's no point complaining about travellers being unemployed while also understanding why they wouldn't be hired. But it's the problems in their community that are the cause of this, not mean settled people.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!