jon1981 Registered User

Actually maybe it's a good thing for motorists that not all cyclists obey the red light...would people prefer we went back to this?

Personally I wait at every light but I reckon if every cyclist was to wait at the red light during rush hour it would be a far worse situation for drivers waiting for a larger bunch of cyclists to move off.

Attachments
Dublin cycling.jpg
3 people have thanked this post
Tabnabs Registered User

Yes?

1 person has thanked this post
MarkR Moderator

Yes. I find that ambulances take up an awful lot more space.

6 people have thanked this post
Wishbone Ash Registered User

jon1981 said:
...would people prefer we went back to this?.
Yes.

13 people have thanked this post
jon1981 Registered User

But why?

Some would argue a majority of cyclists break red lights yet I've not heard this to be a reason for any cyclists deaths on the road.

Again I'm not a red light jumper but there are plenty of junctions that could be relaxed abit for cyclists such as pedestrian crossings or left turns on to quieter roads. We need to be far more progressive here

4 people have thanked this post
seamus Dental Plan!

Dunno about anyone else, but I see this all the time at rush hour.

19 people have thanked this post
PlaneSpeeking Registered User

jon1981 said:
Actually maybe it's a good thing for motorists that not all cyclists obey the red light...would people prefer we went back to this?

Personally I wait at every light but I reckon if every cyclist was to wait at the red light during rush hour it would be a far worse situation for drivers waiting for a larger bunch of cyclists to move off.

Not for pedestrians trying to cross it wouldn't.

Red = Stop. That's it.

24 people have thanked this post
jon1981 Registered User

seamus said:

It would be double or triple the number if everyone actually obeyed the light.

amcalester Registered User

jon1981 said:
But why? Again I'm not a red light jumper but there are plenty of junctions that could be relaxed abit for cyclists such as pedestrian crossings or left turns on to quieter roads. We need to be far more progressive here.

That’s a separate argument though. Currently it’s illegal for cyclists to break a red light so for that reason I would prefer a return to the above photo.

Now, if you want to argue the benefits of left on red or the like, then I would agree that in some cases that would make sense but it would have to be clearly signposted when it was allowed.

jon1981 Registered User

PlaneSpeeking said:
Not for pedestrians trying to cross it wouldn't.

Red = Stop. That's it.

Many other countries permit it. So why not?

Sure lights don't matter to pedestrians either but you don't hear about that from drivers or cyclists.

5 people have thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator

seamus said:

Exactly. This is already the case, a commute through Dublin at rush hour would see this everywhere. Kevin street and Wexford street junction, through Rathmines, even Harolds Cross is the same.

mloc123 Subscriber

seamus said:

Same, cycle along the grand canal any morning and each traffic light is packed with groups of cyclists stopped (including those that insist on jumping to the top despite being so slow )

6 people have thanked this post
RobertFoster Registered User

Was a brown overcoat the yellow hi-vis of the era? I think I'd melt.

jon1981 Registered User

mloc123 said:
Same, cycle along the grand canal any morning and each traffic like is packed with groups of cyclists stopped (including those that insist on jumping to the top despite being so slow )

Not all junctions are equal but I pass plenty of junctions coming down the Malahide road, Fairview, north strand road and on towards the quays in which many cyclists would ignore the red light... especially when there's grid lock around Connolly station.

Baron de Charlus "On his little bike"

Don't know what the big deal is. Cyclists are traffic.

7 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!