garhjw Registered User
#16

Lux23 said:
Do you think they care about the state of their property?


It has been vacant for a couple of months. I presume the OWNER is preparing a planning application to renovate the property. Besides that, it is their property to do with as they wish. The OWNER is not responsible for the provision of social housing.

What next - the commies invade my holiday home in Wexford because it is only used a month a year?

2 people have thanked this post
johnnyskeleton Moderate
#17

The_Conductor said:
I heard one of them being interviewed on RTE radio yesterday evening on the way home- it went along the lines of:

The house has been left to rack and ruin since May- and is in a very poor state. Its full of dust. Some of us are going to go get our hoovers from home- and we'll do it up nicely- one of the guys knows how to hook up the electricity- and make it habitable. Its a beautiful Georgian house with high ceilings- it deserves to have people live in it. If we don't occupy it- the owner will probably do it up and airbnb it.........


The ESB know how to hook up the electricity. Presumably this guy knows how to do it without having to pay for it or demonstrate legal occupation of the premises!

I'm against property being left vacant as much as the next person- however, what do actions like this mean for property rights- and surely a more appropriate manner of dealing with it- would be a vacant property/site tax in the first instance- followed by CPO by the local authority?

Apparently the developer is trying to get vacant possession of a group of the properties in a row and do them up (no idea whether they intend to let them or flog them- but given the location- I doubt they'd get top dollar for them).


Yup. Who would want to buy the house off him if it will come with a potential squatter problem?

We have a very vocal group of people- who seem to imagine that property rights are tenuous and nebulous- and don't really mean anything.


In a way, what these people are doing is far worse than say stealing someone's bag or wallet in a nightclub. In the latter case, it is inconvenient for a night or two, annoying to happen and costs a few hundred to replace. But stealing someone's property goes on for weeks and will leave them with a legal and repairs bill well into 5 figures.

So yeah, I'd be in favour of them being prosecuted for theft, criminal damage etc. The civil consequences of line up in the High Court, put in a mealy mouthed affidavit and then agree to vacate the premises after a few weeks and a meaningless order to pay the costs just won't cut it really.

As a total aside- the properties were vacated in May- for a long list of breaches of fire safety regulations. Who is liable if the current shower go and hook up dodgy electricity connections- and there is an inferno? Of course- they'll blame the owner- yet- its barely been vacant for 10 weeks and he/she hasn't had an opportunity to get remedial work done (if this is indeed what they plan to do).


If it's a dodgy electricity connection, the person who does the connection and the people who encourage others to live there could potentially be prosecuted for endangerment or manslaughter.

We have a housing crisis. This type of 'direct action' may make journalists salivate and generate lots of coverage for newspapers- but ultimately- all it does is give the Minister a smokescreen to hide behind- he can wax lyrically on the relative rights and wrongs of the case- instead of what he is planning to do that will actually make a difference for those who either don't have accommodation- or just as importantly- are being priced out of accommodation.


And also not to be forgotten is that if professional landlords feel that they are constantly under attack, they might decide not to bother renting out their properties anymore. Renters don't benefit long term from this type of carryon.

The only people who benefit are the political agitators. Ironically I've heard them being criticised by other socialists for making it so high profile and demanding that the government step in, when they should simply have appropriated the property for themselves and told the evil government to eff off!

1 person has thanked this post
garhjw Registered User
#18

Does anyone know if this is still going on or did they get the offenders out of the house?

The_Conductor Moderator
#19

garhjw said:
Does anyone know if this is still going on or did they get the offenders out of the house?


No- they're still there- and they're actively seeking donations of furniture, food and anything else people are willing to bring the occupants.

Sigh.........

Meanwhile the usual politicians are gunning them on- the most recent being Ciaran Cuffe of the Green Party- who is calling for a 'right to occupy any residential property that has been vacant for a period of a year'. (this current property was only vacant since the third week in May- which seems to have been missed by him- however, why let inconvenient facts stand in the way of a good political soundbite).

Apparently they expect to be in there for the long haul- and are in the process of identifying other properties owned by the same owners ( Pat and PJ O'Donnell of the POD fame) in the area- and they intend on invading them in a similar manner.

2 people have thanked this post
garhjw Registered User
#20

It's a disgrace that such criminality is allowed to continue without consequences. And for some "politicians" to support it.... what type of people vote for them.
This sets a dangerous precedent. I hope that people defend their property to the full extent the law allows.

garhjw Registered User
#21

It's a disgrace that such criminality is allowed to continue without consequences. And for some "politicians" to support it.... what type of people vote for them.
This sets a dangerous precedent. I hope that people defend their property to the full extent the law allows.

2 people have thanked this post
GGTrek Registered User
#22

Check the facebook group Dublin Central Housing group. They took the initiative for the illegal occupation. They are a hard left group that will only understand violence and expecting houses for all for free in central Dublin!

4 people have thanked this post
garhjw Registered User
#23

And so it starts.... although not sure how they can pursue wasters for costs if they d9nt habe anything in the first place


https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/notice-to-quit-served-on-activists-occupying-dublin-property-1.3596008?mode=amp

Topgear on Dave Registered User
#24

I presume we are going to have a dramatic scene of them getting dragged out by the cops in front of the Irish Times cameras?


Tuesdays Irish Times property section: "Priced out of Summerhill, try Mountjoy"

6 people have thanked this post
tintin67 Registered User
#25

Does anyone know if they want this and other properties in the area to be occupied entirely by dozens of young Brazilians again or will they allow the odd Irish person to live there? There needs to be a serious crackdown on giving student visas to South Americans supposedly studying English unless they can prove they have adequate resources to pay for decent accommodation for the length of their stay.

1 person has thanked this post
Mrs OBumble Registered User
#26

tintin67 said:
There needs to be a serious crackdown on giving student visas to South Americans supposedly studying English unless they can prove they have adequate resources to pay for decent accommodation for the length of their stay.


Define decent though.

May students will happily live in hostel typw accommodation because their stay is only temporary. And realistically it's appropriate for tbeir age and life stage.

tintin67 Registered User
#27

Mrs OBumble said:
Define decent though.

May students will happily live in hostel typw accommodation because their stay is only temporary. And realistically it's appropriate for tbeir age and life stage.


I would suggest a minimum of around €8000 for each year's stay.This would be about half the cost of 2 people sharing a one-bed apartment in Dublin. Every case of extreme overcrowding in the last couple of years in Dublin that I have come across involves Brazilian students. There obviously is insufficient accommodation for the amount of visas being issued so a requirement to have something like this amount in their bank account should discourage those who really only want to come here to work and are happy to live in slum conditions.

I know it would be tough on genuine poorer students but it is only a matter of time before there is a massive loss of life in one of these doss houses packed with foreign nationals.

1 person has thanked this post
Edgware Registered User
#28

tintin67 said:
I would suggest a minimum of around €8000 for each year's stay.This would be about half the cost of 2 people sharing a one-bed apartment in Dublin. Every case of extreme overcrowding in the last couple of years in Dublin that I have come across involves Brazilian students. There obviously is insufficient accommodation for the amount of visas being issued so a requirement to have something like this amount in their bank account should discourage those who really only want to come here to work and are happy to live in slum conditions.

I know it would be tough on genuine poorer students but it is only a matter of time before there is a massive loss of life in one of these doss houses packed with foreign nationals.

If they don't come who will serve your Latte every morning?

tintin67 Registered User
#29

Edgware said:
If they don't come who will serve your Latte every morning?


If the only way a business can survive is by having a constant pool of cheap exploitable labour living in slum conditions then I'd rather that business didn't exist. I'm sure Dublin could cope with fewer coffee shops, burger joints etc.

3 people have thanked this post
Arcade_Tryer Registered User
#30

The_Conductor said:

Meanwhile the usual politicians are gunning them on- the most recent being Ciaran Cuffe of the Green Party- who is calling for a 'right to occupy any residential property that has been vacant for a period of a year'. (this current property was only vacant since the third week in May- which seems to have been missed by him- however, why let inconvenient facts stand in the way of a good political soundbite).

To be fair, this type of behaviour is a result of bad policy and potential negligence on behalf of politicians; Dublin desperately needs a range of property taxes including a land value tax and a vacant property tax. Capital acquisitions tax thresholds also need to be lowered significantly.
tintin67 said:
Does anyone know if they want this and other properties in the area to be occupied entirely by dozens of young Brazilians again or will they allow the odd Irish person to live there? There needs to be a serious crackdown on giving student visas to South Americans supposedly studying English unless they can prove they have adequate resources to pay for decent accommodation for the length of their stay.
That didn't take long.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!