Glen_Quagmire Registered User

It might seem like an obvious answer to most, i.e. a New House, but what would be your choice for buying a family house to live in long term?

Some pros and cons;

New House Pros
- It's a brand new house (obviously)
- No worries about having big expenses to fix it up like rewiring, new roof, new heating system etc
- HTB grant (if applicable)
- No bidding wars

New House Cons
- Typically smaller than old houses
- Typically smaller front and back gardens
- Can be noisy if build quality is poor (which a lot are)
- Can be more expensive to fit out with furniture and fixtures
- Typically more expensive, especially in Dublin
- May have to buy one outside Dublin to fit your budget (may not be an issue to most)
- May need two familiy cars if moving outside Dublin (again may not be an issue for some)
- May have to queue up for days before they are released to secure one

Used House Pros
- Typically bigger than new houses
- Most have bigger front and back gardens
- Can find ones with sufficient space in back gardens to build extentions or big sheds / workshops
- Typically have better build quality
- Typically cheaper than buying new houses
- Can usually get one inside Dublin within a moderate budget (living in Dublin may not be a concern to most)

Used House Cons
- May need a lot of work which can be expensive
- Concerns of why the house is being sold, i.e. bad neighbours, noisey neighbours, antisocial behaviour etc
- Possible bidding wars
- May have to pay over asking price to secure

What other Pros and Cons am I missing?

LirW Registered User

Re. Neighbours: in a new development you don't have an established community and it can turn out anywhere from really well to really poor. Not everyone in Social housing is a scumbag and not everyone paying a mortgage is a nice, laid back person.

But I think you summed it up pretty well in your post, at the end of the day it's very much personal preference, we went with the old.

3 people have thanked this post
spurious Category Moderator

Old house (e.g. over 100 years) can be a real money pit, but it's swings and roundabouts really. Some things just 'go' with having an old house. You learn to live with them.

2 people have thanked this post

LirW
Re. Neighbours: in a new development you don't have an established community and it can turn out anywhere from really well to really poor. Not everyone in Social housing is a scumbag and not everyone paying a mortgage is a nice, laid back person.

Yes very true. This is probably my biggest concern if I'm honest. You can pick your house big you can't pick your neighbours

1 person has thanked this post
godtabh Moderator

An old house will require work. How muchndepends on the house.

I’d rather an old house they has a decent back garden that requires work compared to a new build. My motto was worse house in the best area.

That resulted in a nice 4 bed semi d in Blackrock in a back garden you could fit 2 new builds in and about €100k less for the equivalent new build

Wesser Registered User

What do you mean by old house? Do you just mean sevond habd? Do you mean beautiful red brick old Georgian house? If so the location is usually better ie nearer to the city and a ' better' neighbourhood. Also the period features e.g. old floors doors and fireplaces. Also usually lots of trees and beauty about the neighbourhood. Personal I consider houses like people and wouldn't consider them old until.the reach at least 70 / 75 years.....

julie101 Registered User

New house with good BER much easier to heat. I also find brand new houses much easier to keep clean.

jester77 Registered User

Glen_Quagmire said:
Yes very true. This is probably my biggest concern if I'm honest. You can pick your house big you can't pick your neighbours

I moved into a new build and zero complaints. 90% of the people moving in were people with young families or just about to start. So our children are all around the same age. We have a summer and winter festival where everyone gets together, clear the streets, setup tents, bences, bouncy castle, BBQ, beer taps, music, etc

We also have a private Facebook group where we can discuss legal issues, cleaners, organise certain maintenance actives like annual heating, ventilation maintenance to get group discounts and so on.

We also have groups for internal activities, I play football with a group of dads every week, regular beer meetups, going to games, etc

This is something that would be near impossible to get going if you just move in somewhere already existing.

6 people have thanked this post
viper5 Registered User

New all day long if you can. It was a no brainer for us as there many disadvantages with used houses. Besides hidden issues you which is massive problem, you are often compromising your requirements on layout and design. with new you can literally design perfectly what’s for you.

We got a 4 bed semi new and our garden while less mature is the same size as the houses we looked at and our neighbors couldn’t be nicer. First time buyer grant really helps also furnish house to the standard you like . Still over the moon 6 months later ( not in Dublin by the way)

Wesser
What do you mean by old house? Do you just mean sevond habd? Do you mean beautiful red brick old Georgian house? If so the location is usually better ie nearer to the city and a ' better' neighbourhood. Also the period features e.g. old floors doors and fireplaces. Also usually lots of trees and beauty about the neighbourhood. Personal I consider houses like people and wouldn't consider them old until.the reach at least 70 / 75 years.....

I meant used houses. Those style houses you make reference to sound out of budget unfortunately

awec Moderator

New houses, by and large, are cheaper to run.

awec Moderator

Glen_Quagmire said:
I meant used houses. Those style houses you make reference to sound out of budget unfortunately

If you really are classifying "old house" as a house that has had a previous owner then a lot of the cons for new houses also apply to old houses in your list. Basically any house built in the last 20 years.

I think when most people read "old house" they think pre-tiger.

awec
If you really are classifying "old house" as a house that has had a previous owner then a lot of the cons for new houses also apply to old houses in your list. Basically any house built in the last 20 years.

awec
I think when most people read "old house" they think pre-tiger.

Can you change the title of the thread then to save any confusion

Zenify Registered User

New house. Everything works and no surprises.

wersal gummage Registered User

Location I guess...

New houses typically not available in what some would regard as the most desirable locations (in Dublin anyway).

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!