Qrt Registered User

Idbatterim said:
We hear about a lot of the lines and services, that the times and speeds are useless etc. yet providing these services is extremely expensive. Why aren’t they replaced by bus?

I'd imagine many of the commuters would probably end up throwing themselves in front of the bus if it ever were to replace a rail service.

2 people have thanked this post
Isambard Registered User

Qrt said:
I'd imagine many of the commuters would probably end up throwing themselves in front of the bus if it ever were to replace a rail service.

I don't think he's talking about commuter services. Lightly used social lines I imagine

end of the road Registered User

Idbatterim said:
We hear about a lot of the lines and services, that the times and speeds are useless etc. yet providing these services is extremely expensive. Why aren’t they replaced by bus?

because the users using those services don't use bus. they use rail. those who may wish to use bus already have bus services to meet their needs. we tried replacing rail services with bus, people went to the car.
in reality rail services aren't that expensive to provide in the great scheme of things.

2 people have thanked this post
Idbatterim Registered User

end of the road said:
because the users using those services don't use bus. they use rail. those who may wish to use bus already have bus services to meet their needs. we tried replacing rail services with bus, people went to the car.
in reality rail services aren't that expensive to provide in the great scheme of things.
let them go to their car then. That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country. Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines! Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

Idbatterim said:
let them go to their car then.

no, our over-dependence on road transport is not sustainible.

Idbatterim said:
That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country.

correct they would be forcing service improvements. they operate a transport strategy which involves all methods of transport to insure sustainability.

Idbatterim said:
Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines!

where?

Idbatterim said:
Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

no different to any other suburban railway. the suburban railway where everyone gets a seat and there is no over-crowding will never be achieved. the only way it could be achieved is by running it down toards closure.
the vast majority of the rolling stock from the rest of the network would be no good for dublin suburban services anyway, what bits that are are already deployed on cork suburban. so you wouldn't gain anything by line closures.

4 people have thanked this post
tabbey Registered User

questionmark? said:
I know the timetable is shocking and Irish rail are taken the piss to be honest. 3 people in Tipp Town. 3!!!

Tipperary town is only a couple of miles from Limerick Junction, locals would go there if travelling to Dublin, Cork or Limerick.

Only those going to Waterford or intermediate towns would need the train, and the bus is more frequent and probably cheaper.

tabbey Registered User

Why did NTA take so long to publish this report?

It is not as if attention to detail was given, there are typographical errors, for example the Dublin map shows the PPT line running into Heuston, which is misleading, and on the map, Carrigaloe is mis-spelt Carrigalow.

The actual figures for passengers at stations - are these people joining services, or do they also include passengers arriving off a train?
Where do they count passengers, going through a barrier, or actually stepping on a train? Either way, this is an impossible task. At Dun Laoghaire, lots of people descend the steps to the southbound platform, most board the first DART train, a few wait for the second train because it is going all the way to Greystones, while at certain times, more wait for the Rosslare ICR or Wexford commuter. It is difficult to allocate which passengers going down the stairs are for which service.

1 person has thanked this post
Bray Head Registered User

The response to these numbers is predictable.

Depending on your prejudices you'll either shout:

"This is a demand problem, no one wants to go from A to B!"

"This is a supply problem, with more and better services lots of people would go from A to B!"

Bray Head said:
The response to these numbers is predictable.

Depending on your prejudices you'll either shout:

"This is a demand problem, no one wants to go from A to B!"

"This is a supply problem, with more and better services lots of people would go from A to B!"

what kind of a response were you looking for?

Lord Glentoran Registered User

Idbatterim said:
let them go to their car then. That shambles i.e the lack of patronage, would not be tolerated in any well run country. Expensive rolling stock used to service ghost lines! Mean while it’s like sardines on a can in the Gda!

In other countries nearer to us the ghost services would not be tolerated. This isn’t America, yet.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!