xckjoo Registered User
#661

dense said:
One minute "big oil" is the demon and can't be trusted, the next minute your hanging on their every word.


I've seen more flip flopping here today than I've seen in a long time.



LOL


Defendant: "Your honour, I'd like to change my plea from not guilty to guilty"
Judge: "No way! You lied about being not guilty so you're probably lying about being guilty too"

5 people have thanked this post
dense Registered User
#662

Akrasia said:


The oil companies themselves use words all the time promising to be green and sustainable and state that they believe in climate change. And then they use actions and lobbying and build infrastructure that does the exact opposite

The Oil industry have absolutely been lobbying heavily to water down commitments to reduce climate change.

As far as they're concerned, Paris was a massive win. They got words promising things, but no actual sanctions for any countries that don't meet the commitments.




I did tell you before that Christiana Figueres, the former UN climate chief who who led the historic Paris agreement of 2015 is now on the board of one of Italy's biggest oil companies.


They're doing well too, lots of new explorations in the pipeline as they say.


Here they tell us how great they and their oil is:


https://www.eni.com/en_IT/company/eni-history/history-oil-exploration-italy.page#


Here they tell us how great their Director, the former UN climate chief is:


:https://www.eni.com/en_IT/media/2018/04/eni-first-meeting-of-the-advisory-board?lnkfrm=serp


Here they alert potential investors of it's plans about Becoming a fully integrated oil and gas company

Eni is now a fully integrated oil and gas company, focused on its core operations, targeting greater efficiency and higher cash generation across all businesses.



https://www.eni.com/en_IT/investors/strategy.page

dense Registered User
#663

Some time ago I posted that the IPCC despite having decades to do so, reports that it could not find evidence of climate catastrophe as a result of global warming.

It's here for the newcomers to the thread:


https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108100618&postcount=572


That position concurs with other research which suggests that outside of the alleged temperate rise from the pre industrial period (which is now apparently 1850 to 1900) less climate change is happening than what is being perceived.


https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/trends-in-extreme-weather-events-since-1900--an-enduring-conundrum-for-wise-policy-advice-2167-0587-1000155.php?aid=69558

The media hype about global weather extremes which is being swallowed whole by many has even been condemned by NASA's head.


"General statements about extremes are almost nowhere to be found in the literature but seem to abound in the popular media," Schmidt said.


"It's this popular perception that global warming means all extremes have to increase all the time, even though if anyone thinks about that for 10 seconds they realize that's nonsense."

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1059985592

Akrasia Registered User
#664

dense said:
One minute "big oil" is the demon and can't be trusted, the next minute your hanging on their every word.


I've seen more flip flopping here today than I've seen in a long time.


So are shell part of the one world socialist conspiracy now?

'Big Oil' are following the gameplan that has been obvious from the start

1 deny there is any link
2 say that there might be some link but it needs more study
3. Say that there is a plausible link but we don't fully understand all of the causes of climate change, it's probably part of a natural cycle
4. Admit it is likely caused by humans but the rate of warming is being exaggerated
5. Admit that it is real and it is serious and they want to take measures to solve it, but we have plenty of time to adapt so there's no need to rush to regulate the industry
6. Admit that it is real and serious and we are under time constraints and that changes need to be made, but lobby for self regulation and pretend that they are already committed to change, while in reality trying to prevent meaningful action to phase out fossil fuels or enforce CCS regulations.

They are in phase 6 now, they will stay here for as long as they can while constantly lobbying and trying to water down any regulations that would affect their assets or their operating costs.

3 people have thanked this post
Akrasia Registered User
#665

maccored said:
we're too late, basically


We're too late to prevent a lot of harm, but don't worry, there's still plenty of more harm that we still have a chance to avoid. What we desperately need to avoid crossing any tipping points where natural feedbacks amplify warming. Once that happens, no matter how much we reduce CO2, it might be too late to avoid runaway climate change and we may be forced to resort to much more drastic responses (geo-engineering)

1 person has thanked this post
Akrasia Registered User
#666

dense said:
I did tell you before that Christiana Figueres, the former UN climate chief who who led the historic Paris agreement of 2015 is now on the board of one of Italy's biggest oil companies.


They're doing well too, lots of new explorations in the pipeline as they say.


Here they tell us how great they and their oil is:


https://www.eni.com/en_IT/company/eni-history/history-oil-exploration-italy.page#


Here they tell us how great their Director, the former UN climate chief is:


:https://www.eni.com/en_IT/media/2018/04/eni-first-meeting-of-the-advisory-board?lnkfrm=serp


Here they alert potential investors of it's plans about Becoming a fully integrated oil and gas company


https://www.eni.com/en_IT/investors/strategy.page

Thanks for basically verifying exactly what I was saying. Oil industry bribing corrupt politicians to water down negotiations to prevent meaningful action on climate change.

1 person has thanked this post
Akrasia Registered User
#667

dense said:
Some time ago I posted that the IPCC despite having decades to do so, reports that it could not find evidence of climate catastrophe as a result of global warming.

It's here for the newcomers to the thread:


https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108100618&postcount=572


That position concurs with other research which suggests that outside of the alleged temperate rise from the pre industrial period (which is now apparently 1850 to 1900) less climate change is happening than what is being perceived.


https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/trends-in-extreme-weather-events-since-1900--an-enduring-conundrum-for-wise-policy-advice-2167-0587-1000155.php?aid=69558

The media hype about global weather extremes which is being swallowed whole by many has even been condemned by NASA's head.


https://www.eenews.net/stories/1059985592

The irony of your position is that extreme weather is the far end of a bell curve. Climate change makes the extreme heatwave of the early 20th century a normal average summer by the 2030s. And when there are extreme events in the 2030s, they'll be on a scale that was unimaginable 30 years previously.

If you told someone in the year 2000, that 30 years later, Portugal and Spain could have summer temperatures in the mid 40s almost every summer, they would be appalled. 3 years later in 2003 there was a devastating heatwave that climate 'skeptics' said was just natural variability, once in a century events. But since then, we've had multiple heatwaves approaching that intensity. The extremes of the 20th century are already becoming normal. If we add another .5c-1c to global average temperatures, we'll be in danger of turning mediterranean Europe into a desert.

dense Registered User
#668

Akrasia said:
The irony of your position is that extreme weather is the far end of a bell curve. Climate change makes the extreme heatwave of the early 20th century a normal average summer by the 2030s. And when there are extreme events in the 2030s, they'll be on a scale that was unimaginable 30 years previously.

If you told someone in the year 2000, that 30 years later, Portugal and Spain could have summer temperatures in the mid 40s almost every summer, they would be appalled. 3 years later in 2003 there was a devastating heatwave that climate 'skeptics' said was just natural variability, once in a century events. But since then, we've had multiple heatwaves approaching that intensity. The extremes of the 20th century are already becoming normal.


You're falling for the media hype again.

Drought and heatwaves are normal for Europe in a historical context.

No one here agreed with me when I criticised George Lee and RTE for making up "record breaking" heat in Ireland headlines this past summer because to do so would have been against their agenda which is to be party to the hysteria by spreading false information.

So you endorse hyped, fake news whenever the opportunity arises.


The majority of studies on recent hydrological droughts evaluate the drought properties in the context of records starting in the second half of the 20th century.


There are indications, though, that the main drivers of hydrological drought (precipitation and soil moisture deficits and high evapotranspiration, with the latter linked to high temperature) had already reached recent levels in the more distant past.

For instance, the highest daily temperatures in parts of Central Europe in 1540 were likely warmer than in 2003.


The spatial extents of the reconstructed meteorological droughts in 1616, 1893 and 1921 exceed or are at least comparable to those of the recent events. Further, documentary evidence indicates severe large-scale European droughts, e.g., in 1893 and 1921.

By extending our time window into the past, we can thus more accurately assess the range of hydroclimatic variability, and understand the extremity of recent drought events.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-27464-4

dense Registered User
#669

Akrasia said:
Thanks for basically verifying exactly what I was saying. Oil industry bribing corrupt politicians to water down negotiations to prevent meaningful action on climate change.



Ex UN officials are now corrupt??


This is all very Maurice Strong isn't it?

Akrasia Registered User
#670

dense said:
You're falling for the media hype again.

Drought and heatwaves are normal for Europe in a historical context.

No one here agreed with me when I criticised George Lee and RTE for making up "record breaking" heat in Ireland headlines this past summer because to do so would have been against their agenda which is to be party to the hysteria by spreading false information.

So you endorse hyped, fake news whenever the opportunity arises.


https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-27464-4


Yeah, the most extreme droughts and heatwave in recorded history are 'normal'?

I said that the extremes of the past are becoming the new normal, and you go off and find something that says extreme weather happened in the past.

Another win for dense

Akrasia Registered User
#671

dense said:
Ex UN officials are now corrupt??


This is all very Maurice Strong isn't it?


What are you on about. You brought up this woman as someone who was a game keeper and has now become a fox. That's a thing called regulatory capture. Where officials are bought off by industry to betray their mandate and push for soft regulations, with the promise that they will then be given cushy jobs in industry after their term ends.


I didn't check your sources or your links on your post. I don't have time. I realise that this was probably a mistake given your history of routinely misrepresenting the facts. I don't know anything about Christiana Figueres.

None of this affects the science. If some politicians are self serving or prepared to set aside their principles for personal advancement, that says nothing about the scientific basis for climate change or the need for us to act urgently to reduce our emissions.

5 people have thanked this post
dense Registered User
#672

Akrasia said:



I don't know anything about Christiana Figueres.




But you've just said she's corrupt.

Is she even being remunerated for her work in that company?


How can you decide that someone is corrupt without any evidence to back up your claim?

dense Registered User
#673

In the time it took me to go out for a blowdry, four posters have already expressed their thanks to someone who not only roundly endorses fake news but has just said that the ex UN climate chief is corrupt.

I don't see how she's been corrupted by the oil company she's a direcor for and it's also a very serious allegation to be making. Anyone want to explain why they thinks she's corrupt?


Oh, I see our own climate chief has just resigned.

xckjoo Registered User
#674

I see our Minister for Communications resigned for a rural broadband related controversy. I'm not sure what relevance this has to a thread about climate change but thought it worth mentioning

Water John Registered User
#675

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057886132&page=638

This is an excellent post here by Demfad
'Let's look at Brexit: All operating out of the same London address 55 Tufton Street: Campaigns Vote Leave, Leave.EU AND Climate denial groups-- The Global Warming Policy Foundation, The Atlantic Bridge, Institute of Economic Affairs. 55 Tufton Street is Brexiteer central and is the climate denial centre of the UK.'

Amazing close relationship between Brexiteers and Climate Deniers.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!