bromley52 said:
As seen on hukd

Good find

Jack Five Registered User

bromley52 said:
As seen on hukd

Thanks got 2 myself

MisterAnarchy Registered User

They will be giving these away free in cereal boxes soon.
Saying that ,these are the prices we should have had for the last 12 months but for the price fixing rampant in the SSD manufacturing industry.

Guy:Incognito Registered User

MisterAnarchy said:
Saying that ,these are the prices we should have had for the last 12 months but for the price fixing rampant in the SSD manufacturing industry.

Big SSD ****ing us over yet again.

13 people have thanked this post
micks_address Registered User

Guy:Incognito said:
MisterAnarchy said:

Big SSD ****ing us over yet again.

Is this fast enough to use as a boot drive in PC?
Thanks,
Mick

RossieMan Registered User

Price fixing? You mean the nand shortage right?

teotwawki Registered User

RossieMan said:

There's an ongoing price fixing investigation in China.

Price fixing is almost the default behaviour in these type of industries. Most of the big players in the electronics industry have been caught price-fixing at least once. RAM, optical drives, CRT tubes, flat screens, capacitors, you name it. Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung SDI etc...all these big well-known companies. The fines are so small that it's worth the risk.

In one case - I think the optical drives - the investigation found that conspirators were meeting in cinemas, huddling together in the back row to discuss prices . Like that Matt Damon movie. This was just a few years ago and involved huge, huge companies !

3 people have thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator

micks_address said:
Is this fast enough to use as a boot drive in PC?
Thanks,
Mick

Yes. It'll be great. Not the fastest SSD out there but compared to a mechanical drive it would be a huge leap. I should probably just buy one really...

davemie Registered User

Would this be a better drive for two pound more?

Kingston Technology SA400S37/120G SSD A400 120 GB Solid State Drive (2.5 Inch SATA 3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fRAvBbQMT0S00

1 person has thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator

davemie said:

Kingston Technology SA400S37/120G SSD A400 120 GB Solid State Drive (2.5 Inch SATA 3)

They are both almost identical in terms of spec. No noticeable difference between the two I'd say. Although I'd probably prefer the Kingston brand.

1 person has thanked this post
MisterAnarchy Registered User

RossieMan said:

You think that the Nand shortage really lasted over 12 months ?
It was the initial reason for the increases but there was rampant price fixing after a few months.

duridian Registered User

davemie said:

Based on the specifications from Kingston’s manufacturers website versus what I see on independent reviews saying the Adata can do the claimed 450MB/s write, I think the Adata is better in writing speeds.
I don’t think there is a much difference between write speed of higher capacity ~960GB version of the Kingston and this Adata, but for some reason the low capacity Kingston models, especially the 120GB, are a good bit slower according to their official spec sheet.
Adata 120GB with 450MB/s write versus Kingston 120GB with 320MB/s write.

So I guess the short answer as far as I can see is no, it isn’t better.

EDIT some links
Kingston official info. Click specifications to see the claimed read and write speeds of the A400.
https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/consumer/sa400s37

Adata official info for SU 650.
http://www.adata.com/rs/specification/503

Bangla review with English subs shows benchmarks of this Adata drive. Jump to about 4m55s.

This one is of the 240GB version of Adata but nearly the same write speed.

This is the Kingston 120GB

2 people have thanked this post
aidankkk Registered User

For the sake of €30 most people would be far better of with a 250 gig Crucial or Samsung.

128 is just about enough for a win 10 pc with any software, and ssds are better not full

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!