Testosterscone Registered User

With European Championships on the horizon figured no harm getting this thread up and running and hopefully build a bit of momentum of the back of the recent media buzz around Irish athletics

Interesting to see that team is shaping up well enough considering there was talk about being the smallest team in recent history to go to a major championship

Phil Healy – 100, 200, 400
Marcus Lawler - 200
Thomas Barr – 400h
Mark English - 800
Ciara Mageean – 1500
Claire Mooney – 800
Stephen Scullion – 10,000
Emma Mitchell – 10,000
Ben Reynolds – 110 h
Adam McMullen – Long Jump
Somer Lecky - High Jump
Mick Clohisey – Marathon
Paul Pollock – Marathon
Sean Hehir – Marathon
Sergiu Ciobanu – Marathon
Kevin Seaward – Marathon
Breege Connolly – Marathon
Glady’s Ganiel – Marathon
Laura Graham – Marathon
Lizzie Lee – Marathon
Claire McCarthy – Marathon
Alex Wright - Walk

By my reckoning we have 26 athletes qualified with 21 looking likely to go;
- Sarah Healy ruled herself out
- Word is Boyce and McManamon are injured in the walk
- English is a doubt after Morton Games
- Gregan out of action for the next month atleast

6 people have thanked this post
Faugheen Registered User

Testosterscone said:
With European Championships on the horizon figured no harm getting this thread up and running and hopefully build a bit of momentum of the back of the recent media buzz around Irish athletics

Interesting to see that team is shaping up well enough considering there was talk about being the smallest team in recent history to go to a major championship

Marcus Lawler - 200
Thomas Barr – 400h
Mark English - 800
Ciara Mageean – 1500
Claire Mooney – 800
Emma Mitchell – 10,000
Ben Reynolds – 110 h
Somer Lecky - High Jump
Mick Clohisey – Marathon
Paul Pollock – Marathon
Sean Hehir – Marathon
Kevin Seaward – Marathon
Laura Graham – Marathon
Lizzie Lee – Marathon
Alex Wright - Walk

- Healy ruled herself out

Healy said on Off The Ball this week that she’s running in the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400...

2 people have thanked this post

Faugheen said:
Healy said on Off The Ball this week that she’s running in the 100, 200, 4x100 and 4x400...

Currently the teams are standing in 10th (4x100m) and 12th (4x400m) so hopefully there are no late surprises

Mens 4x400m team is also currently in qualifying spot ranked 11th

(Top 16 teams qualify)

Faugheen Registered User

Both the men's and women's 4x100 teams have a chance to set some quick times in London.

You would have to think the women's side are safe in 10th? Phil and Joan Healy running with Gina Akpe-Moses and Ciara Neville today should set a quick time to solidify their spot.

The men have a lot of work to do. No Marcus Lawler in their team today which is a worry.

Faugheen said:
Both the men's and women's 4x100 teams have a chance to set some quick times in London.

You would have to think the women's side are safe in 10th? Phil and Joan Healy running with Gina Akpe-Moses and Ciara Neville today should set a quick time to solidify their spot.

The men have a lot of work to do. No Marcus Lawler in their team today which is a worry.

For the women should be safe I would imagine. They are over 2 seconds inside qualifying at the moment and imagine they will improve on that today.

For the Men they would need a 39.16 (0.10 faster than the National record) or to hit two 39.7s in the coming weeks to stand a chance

jamule Registered User

Testosterscone said:

Marcus Lawler - 200
Thomas Barr – 400h
Mark English - 800
Ciara Mageean – 1500
Claire Mooney – 800
Emma Mitchell – 10,000
Ben Reynolds – 110 h
Somer Lecky - High Jump
Mick Clohisey – Marathon
Paul Pollock – Marathon
Sean Hehir – Marathon
Kevin Seaward – Marathon
Laura Graham – Marathon
Lizzie Lee – Marathon
Alex Wright - Walk

- Sarah Healy ruled herself out

Did i dream Zac Curran ran the 800m time at Bislett?

1 person has thanked this post

jamule said:
Did i dream Zac Curran ran the 800m time at Bislett?

Right you are actually Zak Curran and Dean Cronin both have a qualifiers

Diamond league results

Mens 4x100 40.47
Womens 4x100 44.23

Neither time quick enough to affect current standings of Europaen Rankings

100m

AthleteTimeA StandardB Standard
Jeremy Phillips 10.3510.3010.35
Gina Akpe Moses11.4611.4011.50

Both athletes in a similar situation with have one B standard to there name this season. Moses is in a better situation given here 2 fastest times this year (both early season11.46 and 11.51) were both into negative headwinds while she also had an 11.51 in Semifinals of the World Juniors that shows she is still in same sort of shape so hopefully a favourable wind could push her under the 11.50 once more.

Phillips early season form looks good but with time running out his 10.76 in Morton games even with a -2.1 headwind means he will need a big performance to stand a chance however he did manage a 10.37 also this season so definitely knocking on the door

Chivito550 Registered User

Barr the only medal shout. Good chance at bronze, outside shot at silver, zero chance at gold (unless Warholm falls over or something).

Mageean to make the final. Hard to know what to expect really. She's been poor in championships the last 2 years. A medal is asking a lot I think. Top 8 perhaps. Hassan only doing the 5000m supposedly, which allows a bit of breathing room for her.

Healy with an outside shot at making the 200m final, but it will probably require a PB and I fear she may have already peaked this season. Time will tell.

Lawlor is rounding into nice form, and I'd give him a reasonable shout at making the final, particularly if he gets a bye to the semi final.

The 4x100m women's team should really be targeting a final place.

Other than that there will be very little. The odd semi final here and there, and some good experience for a few of the young athletes. It will be one of our smaller teams for a Europeans I anticipate.

Oh, and Berlino the Bear will be back, for all you who remember 2009!!

Pherekydes Registered User

Where do you find the A and B standards? I've just been on the European athletics website and only one standard is listed.

Testosterscone said:
100m

AthleteTimeA StandardB Standard
Jeremy Phillips 10.3510.3010.35
Gina Akpe Moses11.4611.4011.50

Both athletes in a similar situation with have one B standard to there name this season. Moses is in a better situation given here 2 fastest times this year (both early season11.46 and 11.51) were both into negative headwinds while she also had an 11.51 in Semifinals of the World Juniors that shows she is still in same sort of shape so hopefully a favourable wind could push her under the 11.50 once more.

Phillips early season form looks good but with time running out his 10.76 in Morton games even with a -2.1 headwind means he will need a big performance to stand a chance however he did manage a 10.37 also this season so definitely knocking on the door

I think they'll likely just send everyone who has run a B standard this year (a.k.a. the EAA standard), otherwise we are looking at a ridiculously small team for a Europeans. They did this 2 years ago for Amsterdam. Had athletes off chasing A Standards right up to the end, and then they just sent everyone on a B. It would be seriously idiotic to leave the likes of Akpe Moses at home.

Pherekydes said:
Where do you find the A and B standards? I've just been on the European athletics website and only one standard is listed.

On the AAI High Performance page. Load of nonsense really.

Chivito550 said:
I think they'll likely just send everyone who has run a B standard this year (a.k.a. the EAA standard), otherwise we are looking at a ridiculously small team for a Europeans. They did this 2 years ago for Amsterdam. Had athletes off chasing A Standards right up to the end, and then they just sent everyone on a B.

Pretty sure it's in the rules (has changed since then) that you need to hit 2 b standards to be considered or one A. Basically brought it to replace the ambiguous proven form wording from previous iterations.

Chivito550 said:
It will be one of our smaller teams for a Europeans I anticipate.

Numbers are looking to be in line with Zurich and Helsinki

Testosterscone said:
Pretty sure it's in the rules (has changed since then) that you need to hit 2 b standards to be considered or one A. Basically brought it to replace the ambiguous proven form wording from previous iterations.

This was the case 2 years ago aswell. Athletes needed 1 A Standard or 2 B Standards. If the athlete ran the A the year before they still needed a B in 2016 to show form. Nothing has changed since Amsterdam in terms of these general rules.

I recall Jessie Barr trying frantically to run 2 standards the weekend of nationals (she ended up injured in warm up for the heats) as the athletes still thought they needed 2 B standards at this point.

Problem was, young talent like Siofra only had one B, and they wanted to send her, so rather than pick some on B standards and not others, and the absolute uproar that would cause, they sent absolutely everybody who had a B standard from 2016.

Don't be shocked if that happens again.

Personally I think they should just be operating off the EAA standard. Requiring it to be run again in 2018 is not a bad idea though, to show form.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!