CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

I have to say, we've seen inflation of retro prices everywhere these days, with previously cheap games suddenly costing the price of a modest two seater sports car, possibly a Mazda...

But I was playing a bit of Outrun 2, the OG Xbox version, on the 360 and loving it.
The Xbox version is pretty spot on with the arcade due to the shared hardware platform.

I also have the update/sequel Outrun 2006: Coast2Coast on the PSP and PS2 and saw that it was also on the OG Xbox as well, and also works on the 360.

Happy days I think, remembering that the PSP €6 and PS2 €2 games are cheap, very cheap.

I check in with CEX and see that Coast2Coast is only €4, link

No Outrun 2006 for the Xbox in stock though... sure I'll check ebay and amazon...

What the actual feck!

from €60 to €199!
link
When did this happen?
Who decided that this should be so expensive?
And why hasn't anyone told CEX?

3 people have thanked this post
Inviere Registered User

Wut? I picked that up in Cex years ago for €1.50 or something.

1 person has thanked this post
EPAndlee Registered User

What kind of madness is this?

Inviere said:
Wut? I picked that up in Cex years ago for €1.50 or something.

It's v strange.

I would have thought that the one I do own, Outrun 2, would be the rarer of the two and more expensive, as Coast2Coast is available on several platforms while 2 is only on the OG Xbox.
They must not have printed too many Coast2Coast copies perhaps.

I'm going to track it down anyway, like Tempest, Outrun 2/2006 is a remarkable arcade racing game and good to have access to at all times, in all available formats!

Inviere Registered User

CiDeRmAn said:
It's v strange.

I would have thought that the one I do own, Outrun 2, would be the rarer of the two and more expensive, as Coast2Coast is available on several platforms while 2 is only on the OG Xbox.
They must not have printed too many Coast2Coast copies perhaps.

I'm going to track it down anyway, like Tempest, Outrun 2/2006 is a remarkable arcade racing game and good to have access to at all times, in all available formats!

Maybe try the UK CeX with a forwarding service?

sugarman Registered User

It's always been a pricey game, it's sought after and hard enough to come by over the original. Don't expect it to ever show up in cex, and if it does it's prob the original and they've entered it in wrong. I seen it show up one morning, took an hour's break to head into town and it was the original game they'd in stock entered as 2006!

I picked it up on PS2 instead, couldn't justify paying €40/50 quid.

Inviere said:
Maybe try the UK CeX with a forwarding service?

Yeah, I'm bidding on an inexpensive one on ebay right now, we'll see how that fairs.

While I'm accustomed to PS2 games becoming very expensive this is possibly the handful of Xbox games that are getting pricey.
That OG Xbox killer Metal Wolf Chaos is probably another.

Inviere Registered User

sugarman said:
It's always been a pricey game, it's sought after and hard enough to come by over the original. Don't expect it to ever show up in cex, and if it does it's prob the original and they've entered it in wrong.

Since when though? I've come across it in the flesh several times while browsing various CeX shops, and bought it there myself for pittens.

super_furry Registered User

Think the fact that the Xbox 360 version was delisted along with After Burner Climax might be a factor too.

sugarman Registered User

Inviere said:
Since when though? I've come across it in the flesh several times while browsing various CeX shops, and bought it there myself for pittens.

Last 3/4/5 years? Ever since I've been keeping an eye out for a copy they've been steadily on the rise. They were going around the €20 mark when I started looking for one and now they're at least double that.

Inviere Registered User

sugarman said:
Last 3/4/5 years? Ever since I've been keeping an eye out for a copy they've been steadily on the rise. They were going around the €20 mark when I started looking for one and now they're at least double that.

Mad. It was pennies for the longest time, & just seemed to rocket

o1s1n Registered User

If you look at actual sold auctions though it seems to average about 30, with some copies selling far far less. So I think what you're seeing is the typical eBay/Amazon gougers chancing their arm.

Only version I've ever really played is the PS2 port. Much of a difference with the Xbox version?

The PS2/PSP ports are great but the frame rates suffer, particularly in the latter as you'd expect.
But the Xbox version is better, as far as I know, but only in small ways.
But, you can't play Outrun 2006 on my PS3, I don't have a 60Gb machine any more!
But the Xbox one will run nicely on the 360.
I think I have the official 360 XBLA port, but it's pretty cut down compared to the console versions.

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

The arcade game is on the Chihiro board which is an xbox with more memory so the Xbox ports are basically identical to the arcade.

Also the Xbox version doesn't run that nicely on the 360. It runs fine for a while but after 20 minutes the sound starts to corrupt and crackle and about an hour later it will soft lock. I doubt it's been updated since.

I'd actually recommend getting the PC version. It's not available now... officially, but there are places you can get it and it runs perfect on Windows 10 and supports 4K resolutions and beyond.

Inviere Registered User

Retr0gamer said:
Also the Xbox version doesn't run that nicely on the 360. It runs fine for a while but after 20 minutes the sound starts to corrupt and crackle and about an hour later it will soft lock. I doubt it's been updated since.

Memory leak?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!