bk Moderator

GoBe between Cork and Dublin will have a new timetable that includes some extra departures Friday and Sunday, but also some services that now go direct Cork - Dublin Airport - Dublin City, rather then going to the city first.

The new schedule layout is a bit confusing IMO, with some buses going:
Cork - Dublin City - Dublin Airport
Cork - Dublin Airport Only
Cork - Dublin Airport - Dublin City

https://www.gobus.ie/timetable.php?map=35
https://www.gobus.ie/timetable.php?map=34

Good to see expansion in services to Cork.

Unofficially Aircoach has often run two buses every hour, one heading to Dublin City and one heading direct to Dublin Airport. Perhaps this will force them to make it a bit more official.

1 person has thanked this post
Prisoner 6753 Registered User

This post has been deleted.

bk Moderator

Prisoner 6753 said:

A private company hiring in another private to operate extra buses

I'd assume if it happens frequently enough, then it will end up cheaper for them to buy more coaches and operate it themselves, with official timetable, etc. Like Citlink does to Galway with Eireagle and it looks like GoBE are about to do.

I'm surprised Citylink didn't launch their Eireagle service between Cork and Dublin Airport. They already operate this service from Galway and Limerick and they already operate out of Cork with the Cork - Limerick - Galway service. Seems like a missed opportunity for them and would have loved to see more of their Vanhools in Cork.

Prisoner 6753 Registered User

devnull Moderator

Pretty hard to read timetable not really clear at all. And it's blurry!

bk Moderator

devnull said:
Pretty hard to read timetable not really clear at all. And it's blurry!

Yeah, pretty hard to read! Hopefully they will update the website when the date comes and it will be laid out more clearly.

bk Moderator

Prisoner 6753 said:

Given how frequently it happens, I can't imagine it being cheaper then adding their own extra coaches. Perhaps just a lack of capital budget to buy coaches.

Prisoner 6753 said:

Basically BE and DC are non entity to/from Cork City, far too long compared to the other two, you'd be crazy to take either of those. An Eireagle direct service would destroy either of those for Airport runs.

I suspect it is more Aircoach being a very recognisable name to the airport that might of kept them out and a strong established history from Cork. Probably didn't want to go head to head against them. Perhaps just a coincidence, but it is notable that there is no overlap between Citylink and Aircoach, they don't compete directly anywhere. Would make for a incredibly strong merger/takeover!

A real pity, Citylink seem to be a tip top operator and Cork still is a bit all over the place (compared to Galway, still way better then Limerick and 5 years ago).

soundman45 Registered User

bk said:
Given how frequently it happens, I can't imagine it being cheaper then adding their own extra coaches. Perhaps just a lack of capital budget to buy coaches.

Basically BE and DC are non entity to/from Cork City, far too long compared to the other two, you'd be crazy to take either of those. An Eireagle direct service would destroy either of those for Airport runs.

I suspect it is more Aircoach being a very recognisable name to the airport that might of kept them out and a strong established history from Cork. Probably didn't want to go head to head against them. Perhaps just a coincidence, but it is notable that there is no overlap between Citylink and Aircoach, they don't compete directly anywhere. Would make for a incredibly strong merger/takeover!

A real pity, Citylink seem to be a tip top operator and Cork still is a bit all over the place (compared to Galway, still way better then Limerick and 5 years ago).

It's a good move by Go be and they have new sevice cork to dublin now at 0130 0330 0530. They obviously have seen the demand as aircoach are running 2/3 coaches each hour at 0100 0200 0300. Aircoach always send a coach direct to the airport to provide that option once customers are booked online they go on the extra coach direct to the airport.

devnull Moderator

soundman45 said:
It's a good move by Go be and they have new sevice cork to dublin now at 0130 0330 0530. They obviously have seen the demand as aircoach are running 2/3 coaches each hour at 0100 0200 0300. Aircoach always send a coach direct to the airport to provide that option once customers are booked online they go on the extra coach direct to the airport.

Aircoach themselves only added the 2.00am, 6.30am and 7.30am from Cork about a year or so ago because of the fact the were running relief coaches on quite a regular basis so they obviously saw demand to add new timetabled services. Before that it was 1am, 3am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am and so on.

Be interesting to see what move Aircoach make now, bearing in mind their very commercially savvy MD joined Bus Eireann as Chief Customer Officer and the new Aircoach MD is more of an operational person, to the point that they are currently looking to hire someone with commercial experience.

Would not surprise me if Bus Eireann got the former Aircoach MDs input for these services, and surely BE and GoBus are going to give the new Aircoach MD a test early on to see how they react under the new leadership.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Registered User

Good to see them doing earlier and later times, previously their timetable was very poor and no competition to Aircoach's one. Good to see more services.

soundman45 Registered User

devnull said:
Aircoach themselves only added the 2.00am, 6.30am and 7.30am from Cork about a year or so ago because of the fact the were running relief coaches on quite a regular basis so they obviously saw demand to add new timetabled services. Before that it was 1am, 3am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am and so on.

Be interesting to see what move Aircoach make now, bearing in mind their very commercially savvy MD joined Bus Eireann and their new MD is more of an operational person, to the point that they are currently looking to hire someone with commercial experience.

Would not surprise me if Bus Eireann got the former Aircoach MD's input for these services, and surely BE and GoBus are going to give the new Aircoach MD a test early on to see how they react under the new leadership.

I would imagine it will be very much on bus eireanns to do list. The former aircoach MD is a certainty to take over BE as their current boss is stepping down and he is bound to take on that route but as usual will meet with opposition from unions about drivers not being able to be tucked up in bed by midnight☺

devnull Moderator

soundman45 said:
I would imagine it will be very much on bus eireanns to do list. The former aircoach MD is a certainty to take over BE as their current boss is stepping down and he is bound to take on that route but as usual will meet with opposition from unions about drivers not being able to be tucked up in bed by midnight☺

I always thought it was interesting that Allen Parker has gone from Aircoach MD to a role of Chief Customer Officer at Bus Eireann, especially when that role was one that didn't previously exist prior to his appointment to it and it always it did seem to be somewhat of an odd fit and role.

As you say the MD of Bus Eireann has stepping down, however they are going to appoint a different interim MD following this. It makes you wonder if Parker had a clause in his Aircoach contract about not taking certain roles with competitors for a certain period of time after leaving and they're just waiting that time out.

Then you'll have a strange situation where John O'Sullivan, who was at the helm of Aircoach for over a decade, and Parker at Bus Eireann, who was also at Aircoach for a decade, will be the biggest competitors to Aircoach on both the Cork and Dublin runs, essentially going up head to head against the company they built up.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Aircoach be sold up to Go-Ahead for example. It would provide a good North Dublin base for them and First honestly don't have the finances right now to grow the business much more in the face of intensifying competition.

mickmmc Registered User

How would the GOBE driver roster work for the early morning services?

Aircoach has Dublin based and Cork based drivers on the Cork Route.

Would those services be the return lap for GOBE drivers with some drivers based in Dublin?

It would hard to hack starting at 1:30am and 3:30am.

devnull Moderator

mickmmc said:
How would the GOBE driver roster work for the early morning services?

Aircoach has Dublin based and Cork based drivers on the Cork Route.

Would those services be the return lap for GOBE drivers with some drivers based in Dublin?

It would hard to hack starting at 1:30am and 3:30am.

Perhaps those services will be operated by Bernard Kavanagh?

When GoBe started it was fully operated by Bernard Kavanagh, although about a year ago they started doing about half of the services in-house.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!