pedroeibar1 Registered User

It’s not about 'Genealogy' or for genealogists, it’s about entertainment for the masses, a voyeuristic gawk into a subject’s ancestry. As the series grow in number, the guests are decreasingly ‘famous’ and the producers are driven to hone in on one of 64 gggggparents which is rather meaningless in an overall picture of a family. The more salacious the tale the better, but it has to be politically correct. The producers miss (ignore?) many opportunities to comment on social history. I have no doubt that the Canadian element was known by the guest & producers, a decision was taken not to include it.
I found it odd that they brought Diarmuid Ferriter to Ballina just for a couple of sentences on the Civil War. Has he appeared before?

3 people have thanked this post
mod9maple Registered User

I really enjoyed that episode. The Henrietta St coincidence was freakish! And the man that showed him the execution chamber at Mountjoy was a tad insensitive, just a wee bit (!)

"Sure have a go yourself." Sweet holy mother.

But all in all an interesting story set in Dublin. We got to see a fair few documents too.

1 person has thanked this post
DamoRed Registered User

Just watched the Boy George episode and it was pretty shocking to hear about his grandmother being picked up by the NSPCC, just a stone's throw of her own home when she was only 6, and was declared to have been found 'wandering the streets' and sent to Goldenbridge, where she stayed until she was 16. The historian revealed that they were known as 'The Cruelty People' in the area. According to her personal records there, she was a kind and bright child and George concluded that she appeared to have accepted life there and got on with it.

I wonder what it was like to go back to see her own family when she left Goldenbridge and how difficult and emotional that may have been, to return as almost a stranger, having been taken from them at just 6. Presumably there was no contact, such as a letter to or from home, when she was there.

The latter part was about his great uncle, Thomas Bryan, whose baby died the day after birth as he was waiting to be hanged along with Kevin Barry and 6 others at Mountjoy.

Pretty sad all round, but the number of related documents, especially the letter written by Thomas Bryan, was remarkable, and really helped George and everybody else have a greater insight into the stories.

jos28 Registered User

Very good episode overall. I knew George had Irish roots but had no idea they were so extensive. BBC bringing on Diarmuid Ferriter last week and Catríona Crowe this week - impressive. I could listen to Catríona for hours, she is so easy to listen to.
I would love to see if there is a connection with George's Kinahans and other well known Kinahans. It's quite possible considering the areas of Dublin mentioned.

pinkypinky Moderator

Very sad episode. I'll refrain from my usual grumble about not enough genealogy.

That letter must surely be still in the family, otherwise it's a huge find. I also presume it was not a coincidence that they took him to Henrietta St.

Hermy Registered User

Not a Boy George fan so had no intention of watching it but glad I did - very interesting collection of stories.

2 people have thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

Interesting shade in a follow-up piece in today's Irish Times.

I thought the Glynn's father was called Richard, and he had served in WWI but clearly lived, to receive that letter from his son-in-law in 1921.

Did the article just get this wrong?

Jellybaby1 Registered User

mod9maple said:
I really enjoyed that episode. The Henrietta St coincidence was freakish! And the man that showed him the execution chamber at Mountjoy was a tad insensitive, just a wee bit (!)

"Sure have a go yourself." Sweet holy mother.

But all in all an interesting story set in Dublin. We got to see a fair few documents too.

I felt very upset about the Hanging Room sequence. Not just a tad insensitive, awful, just awful. It should have been cut or redone to be more sensitive. Anyone would have been horrified to have been asked to 'have a go yourself'. A word in that chap's ear is necessary as he probably does this for tourists on a regular basis and who knows what connections there may be.

pinkypinky Moderator

It was hugely insensitive.

I didn't even know Mountjoy's hanging room still existed. Given the prison is fully functional, I doubt it gets any tourists.

CassieManson Registered User

pinkypinky
I thought the Glynn's father was called Richard, and he had served in WWI but clearly lived, to receive that letter from his son-in-law in 1921.

Her father died in the war and her mother remarried to her husband's brother Richard. Richard was referred to as her father in the show but was really her stepfather/uncle.

mod9maple Registered User

In fact the guy at Mountjoy was very insensitive, and it was awful to put George in that position. I was trying to be sarcastic and failing miserably, as so often happens typing on the Internet. I really felt for George then.

4 people have thanked this post
DamoRed Registered User

I've just seen on Twitter that Mick Jagger has a son who's younger than his great-grandson!

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1031979249475829760

One great response was 'This'll make for one heck of a 'Who Do You Think You Are' episode one day. But that's only one of countless brilliant posts.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!