o1s1n Registered User

Skerries said:
original Akira cels?

Yeah, my wordpress account where I used to scan and upload them is the first hit on google if you search 'Akira cels'. Has resulted in really interesting conversations with people over the years from the likes of Dreamworks/Pixar and folks from animation universities all over the world asking if they can use the scans in their classes as examples.

Had a recent one where a band contacted me asking could they use a scan for an EP cover. In the end they couldn't go ahead with it due being refused permission from Kondansha (who own the rights to Akira)

I made an argument that the cels were just a byproduct of the animation process therefore they didn't fall under copywrite (and were just a physical product that I now owned) but they were having none of it.

Edit - here you go if you fancy a look - https://akiracels.wordpress.com/

Wish I could redoit from the start to be honest, it was more of a site just where I dumped things and spewed thoughts. I've been meaning to get a new scanner as I've loads that were never scanned. Maybe one day when I do I'll start again and do it properly.

3 people have thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

In truth O1s1n you probably also need life assurance with your collection.

1 person has thanked this post
Steve X2 Moderator

I might need to use the insurance soon. Fire is spreading on Bray Head towards my house right now. Depending on the wind we might be in trouble!

o1s1n Registered User

Steve X2 said:
I might need to use the insurance soon. Fire is spreading on Bray Head towards my house right now. Depending on the wind we might be in trouble!

Jaysus, take care of yourself!

I've some family in Capetown who lost their home due to the crazy fires there last summer.

The fires went from being in the distance to right on top of them within minutes due to the wind. It can happen extremely quickly so watch out. I see some homes around Bray Head have been evacuated already.

Steve X2 Moderator

o1s1n said:
Jaysus, take care of yourself!

I've some family in Capetown who lost their home due to the crazy fires there last summer.

The fires went from being in the distance to right on top of them within minutes due to the wind. It can happen extremely quickly so watch out. I see some homes around Bray Head have been evacuated already.

Yep, we've bags packed just in case. I live right beside where the fire is on Bray Head. we got a call from a friend who lives in Bray town to say there's a fire. Didn't notice anything myself so sent the drone up and had a look, it was bad. Some people were flying drones when the rescue/fire fight helicopters where dropping water on the fire later on in the day. I was on to the Gardai as they know I fly locally here and I wanted them to know i was in the air earlier, but I'm not flying those drones that are messing things up for everyone.

This is a pic i took earlier directly from above my house when we just heard about the fire. The red area is where it is now(we think).

3 people have thanked this post
DaveyDave Registered User

Just read an article saying residents are returning to their homes in Bray, hope all is well! The article suggests the fire was started in front of a tent? Could be carelessness?

Steve X2 Moderator

Been fighting the fire all day here. Pretty crazy and much worse than yesterday. We lost some woodland around the property to the fire. Just got the all clear for the night 10 mins ago. We almost lost the house earlier!
They've got a team staying in our area for the night as the fires can come up again very quickly.

This vid is the side of the house, the woods were already on fire at this stage on the other side. Crazy day to be sure, now for a few beers and a steak

7 people have thanked this post
eddhorse Registered User

I will come and collect arcade machines free of charge !!

Stay safe Steve

1 person has thanked this post
Steve X2 Moderator

Well, we survived the fire, as did all my retro stuff.
I did get a van to move the more portable and valuable items away as it just seemed like the sensible thing to do, insurance or not.

4 people have thanked this post
eddhorse Registered User

Great news Steve, did that rain help yesterday?

Steve X2 Moderator

eddhorse said:
Great news Steve, did that rain help yesterday?

Didn't really get much here until around 6pm. But yes I'm sure it helped a little as there were lots of very small fires still smouldering.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!