trellheim Registered User

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0703/975926-ryanair_pilots/

Voted in favour - lets' see what happens

PS Ingrid Miley says 99% vote for , by fulltimers

Before it gets too big and unmanageable, I am going to rename this, and suggest that this thread be kept for discussions about the industrial relations aspects of the strike situation at Ryanair. Questions about flight disruptions or cancellations should be posted in the "other" Ryanair strike thread.

Anyone choosing to make offensive comments about another poster, or senior management at Ryanair will be sanctioned, or banned for a period, this thread will be busy enough as it is, without inappropriate posts.

In the same vein, while the law and legal protection for a corporate entity such as a trade union is not the same as for an individual, there are legal protections for such entities, so to ensure fairness, the same guidelines in relation to attacking a poster etc as above will also apply to comments about the activities or actions of trade unions or other representative bodies.

There are always 2 sides to any argument, so the arguments and claims of both sides need to be heard, and we want to allow fair and reasonable debate across the wider audience that read this site.

Please help us to achieve that by respecting this request.

4 people have thanked this post
Mebuntu Registered User

No surprise there. This has been IALPA's dream and quest for more than 20 years. Another word that could be used - revenge.

1 person has thanked this post
FitzShane Registered User

Much risk it could continue longer than the 24 hours do you think?

sparrowcar Registered User

If it actually goes ahead then I think it will escalate quickly initially before everyone calms down and decides to talk.

It's been festering for years so not going to blow over with 1 strike day.

3 people have thanked this post
Padraig Mor Registered User

McTJES said:
Does anyone know...

I know that when they ballot they have to give 7 days notice minimum to strike
After the first strike action if it goes ahead on the 12th can they strike again then whenever they want? Due to fly 19th. Was so worried this was going to happen.

The union have already said they'll strike again, but haven't notified which days yet.

Does this union actually have the backing of most Irish Ryanair pilots, or is it just a rump of troublemakers? i.e. could it be the case that a significant portion of the schedule would still be flown?

superg Registered User

Padraig Mor
Does this union actually have the backing of most Irish Ryanair pilots, or is it just a rump of troublemakers? i.e. could it be the case that a significant portion of the schedule would still be flown?

Just said on the news they represent 126 pilots.

GVHOT Registered User

Just bear in mind if this is Dublin pilots then a lot of services will still operate as the flights will originate from outside Ireland. Now that is unless they refuse to “break” the strike.

PCros Registered User

Is this Dublin based pilots or actual Irish pilots based around Europe?

L1011 Moderator

superg said:
Just said on the news they represent 126 pilots.

And I believe they're mostly captains, so the impact would be amplified

Not every flight to or from Dublin is a Dublin based aircraft

Tenger Moderator

It’s reported that this ballot is amongst the 126 Dublin based directly employed pilots. I believe that contractors are unable to ballot as they are viewed/classed as non Ryanair workers. (Which is one of the festering issues)
This ballot could spread to other bases with directly employed pilots.

They aren’t looking for a pay increase, they are looking for a seniority list and a transparency around bases choice/allocation. This is the sort of thing that >90% of global airlines have in place.

4 people have thanked this post
Nomis21 Registered User

McTJES said:
Does anyone know...

I know that when they ballot they have to give 7 days notice minimum to strike
After the first strike action if it goes ahead on the 12th can they strike again then whenever they want? Due to fly 19th. Was so worried this was going to happen.

Do they have to wait till one strike is over before giving 7 days notice of the next one? Or could they, for example, announce another strike tomorrow for 13th?

devnull Moderator

Why are the union refusing to meet Ryanair for the last few weeks to discuss it if what Ryanair says is correct?

Are they just desperate to strike without even trying to come to an agreement?

View Profile Registered User

devnull
Why are the union refusing to meet Ryanair for the last few weeks to discuss it if what Ryanair says is correct?

devnull
Are they just desperate to strike without even trying to come to an agreement?

Devnull you are showing your naivety once again regarding Ryanair's ongoing industrial disputes.
Do you believe Ryanair are actually telling the truth?!! Have they ever been honest or forthcoming with their statements?!!

Forsa have written to Ryanair countless times to organise a meeting at a neutral location to discuss staff concerns but Ryanair point blank refuse.

5 people have thanked this post
Snake Plisken Registered User

Didn't they mention on the news Ryanair cabin crew are discussing industrial action as well? Might be a double whammy next week.

Stevek101 Registered User

View Profile said:
Devnull you are showing your naivety once again regarding Ryanair's ongoing industrial disputes.
Do you believe Ryanair are actually telling the truth?!! Have they ever been honest or forthcoming with their statements?!!

Forsa have written to Ryanair countless times to organise a meeting at a neutral location to discuss staff concerns but Ryanair point blank refuse.

I don't see what the issue is with the venue. Why spend extra money on a room and catering. Day out for the Aer Lingus union reps?

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!