Gaoth Laidir Registered User

Jpmarn said:
The last few of my posts to this thread was comparing my temperature figure on the car in driving mode not when it was stationary for a while with a hot engine affecting the thermometer. Yesterday evening I was passing near Shannon shortly after 7 pm. It was 22c on the car. The Airport station reported 21c at 1900 and 2000. Therefore I am not buying in that the weather station more or less surrounded by car parks has a major effect on how it records the temperature at any given time.

If you had read carefully you'd have noted that were only talking about when the breeze is from an easterly direction, i.e. from the carpark. At that time yesterday evening it was westerly (280 ° so we'd expect no problem there.

1 person has thanked this post
Rebelbrowser Registered User

My tuppence would be that watching Shannon in the 2013 and 2018 warm spells (in particular) it does "hang on" to heat in the evening differently from other stations. Equally maybe that's just the micro climate in east Clare? Certainly there appear to be issues for met.ie to consider though.

Anyone able to show sites of Dublin and Cork airport stations just for comparison?

JCX BXC Registered User

Gaoth Laidir said:
The 30 degrees is from 050 to 080 degrees. The spike occured around the 080 time.

Nope, that's a very strange thing to say. The shift of 30° occured over an hour, from 1500Z to 1600Z, the shift was only of 10° between 1530Z to 1600Z, and a shift of 10° as reported on metars could Infact only be a shift of 2/3°.

JCX BXC said:
Nope, that's a very strange thing to say. The shift of 30° occured over an hour, from 1500Z to 1600Z, the shift was only of 10° between 1530Z to 1600Z, and a shift of 10° as reported on metars could Infact only be a shift of 2/3°.

The anemometer is around 1 mile away from the screen, so it may not accurately reflect the exact wind at the screen area. What's fairly obvious is marked spikes and dips in temperature throughout the day, despite the fact that skies were clear throughout. This doesn't happen without some cause, such as subtle windshifts on and off the carpark.

Akrasia Registered User

Gaoth Laidir said:
The anemometer is around 1 mile away from the screen, so it may not accurately reflect the exact wind at the screen area. What's fairly obvious is marked spikes and dips in temperature throughout the day, despite the fact that skies were clear throughout. This doesn't happen without some cause, such as subtle windshifts on and off the carpark.

Can you show me a graph from a better sited Irish weather station without those spikes in them?

rebs23 Registered User

Rebelbrowser said:
My tuppence would be that watching Shannon in the 2013 and 2018 warm spells (in particular) it does "hang on" to heat in the evening differently from other stations. Equally maybe that's just the micro climate in east Clare? Certainly there appear to be issues for met.ie to consider though.

Anyone able to show sites of Dublin and Cork airport stations just for comparison?

The one in Cork is up a steep hill which is always 1-2c cooler than at sea level. Not sure about it's actual location in the Airport.

Akrasia said:
Can you show me a graph from a better sited Irish weather station without those spikes in them?

I don't have access to these graphs. I took this one from Twitter. You would expect similar spikes at any station on partly cloudy days as the sun comes in and out, but the day in question was wall-to-wall sunshine. Note, however, how smooth the graph is during the night, right up to sunrise, but how the variability starts from mid morning onwards.

rebs23 said:
The one in Cork is up a steep hill which is always 1-2c cooler than at sea level. Not sure about it's actual location in the Airport.

It's beside the road, just at the entrance to the airport. All the stations can be seen in this thread that I started.

Oneiric 3 Registered User

I would imagine that little 'heat spikes' are not all that uncommon on warm days. Very often, we see the final maxes at stations being higher than any of the hourly reports would suggest. A similar trait seems to occur with low maxes as well, especially in winter.

So, I was in Eason in Liffey Valley today, flicking through a book of old aerial images of Ireland, when I opened the page below. Shannon Airport in 1951, showing the weather station in its original location, to the west of the airport. That area is fully built up and concreted by now, and the current station is probably off the right edge of the photo.

Here's the station outlined in a photo that was posted earlier in this thread.

5 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!