....... Registered User
#3,991

BattleCorp said:
Before you go throwing stones at how the pope 'is' elected, neither our Taoiseach or President has to be elected where all of the citizens vote.

And our voting is done in secret too.

There is a big difference between how our Taoiseach and President (who has no power anyway) get into position than how the Pope does.

At no point in the process does any ordinary citizen have a vote on who becomes a priest or moves up though the catholic ranks to cardinal to eventually become the pope. Its a closed shop all the way.

4 people have thanked this post
Zubeneschamali Registered User
#3,992

ohnonotgmail said:
Nope, the devil is real and not a metaphor according to the pope

He may have a social conscience better than Ratzingers, but if he believes this stuff literally, I'm afraid I'll have to move him to my "Nice but nuts" box.

2 people have thanked this post
Hitman3000 Registered User
#3,993

I see where he is going here. The devil made them do it. ; )

ohnonotgmail Registered User
#3,994

Zubeneschamali said:
He may have a social conscience better than Ratzingers, but if he believes this stuff literally, I'm afraid I'll have to move him to my "Nice but nuts" box.

He is a jesuit. what do you expect?

#3,995

ohnonotgmail said:
He is a jesuit. what do you expect?

I have spoken to Jesuits who don't even believe in God, never mind a literal Devil.

#3,996

Zubeneschamali said:
I have spoken to Jesuits who don't even believe in God, never mind a literal Devil.

well then you need to speak to better jesuits

#3,997

ohnonotgmail said:
well then you need to speak to better jesuits

Better =/= nuttier in my eyes.

DChancer Registered User
#3,998

So the OPW have finally put a figure on those attending the Gig in the park,just under 152,000 including all those taking part eg choirs etc.
Sad they had to be hit with a Freedom of Information request to force them to issue the figures.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pope-francis-in-ireland/revealed-finally-how-many-people-attended-papal-mass-in-phoenix-park-37335645.html

6 people have thanked this post
Christy42 Registered User
#3,999

ohnonotgmail said:
Zubeneschamali said:
I'm a little worried that he is talking about the Devil roaming the world. I hope this is a metaphor.

Nope, the devil is real and not a metaphor according to the pope

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/13/dont-argue-devil-much-intelligent-us-says-pope-francis/

Edward M said:
It sounds to me as if he is saying anyone looking for truth and justice is the devil!

It does sound like that alright.

OK the devil trying to uncover sins is obviously horrific and evil statement.

However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil. I mean he believes in God which is about as logical as believing in the Devil. Frequently they are paired up and I would be surprised if the pope did not believe in the devil really!

Hotblack Desiato Registered User
#4,000

DChancer said:
So the OPW have finally put a figure on those attending the Gig in the park,just under 152,000 including all those taking part eg choirs etc.

Total cost of the visit to the taxpayer was about €160 per person attending the Park or Knock.

A fcuking joke, at our expense...

4 people have thanked this post
#4,001

Christy42 said:
However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil.

Catholicism is complicated.

Ordinary joe soaps in the church pews believe all sorts of nonsense about the power of prayer, holy water, the child of prague, Medjugore, secrets of Fatima, the BVM statue on the wall with the flickery electric bulb, on and on. There is even folk religion from pre-christian times still practiced, like tying tat to bushes at holy wells.

A Catholic theologian at a seminary will believe absolutely none of that. Not a feckin word. Yet it is nominally the same religion, and the hierarchy are careful not to step on the stupid beliefs of the ignorant where possible.

I am surprised that someone can rise to be Pope and still believe the simple-minded stuff like the Devil literally walking the Earth.

2 people have thanked this post
Zebra3 Registered User
#4,002

Main thing is just to keep the money flowing in.

1 person has thanked this post
#4,003

Christy42 said:
OK the devil trying to uncover sins is obviously horrific and evil statement.

However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil. I mean he believes in God which is about as logical as believing in the Devil. Frequently they are paired up and I would be surprised if the pope did not believe in the devil really!

you might think it is obvious but belief in the devil as an physical being is not a given. It is usually employed metaphorically. But the pope is a jesuit and they tend to do their own theological thing.

Christy42 Registered User
#4,004

Zubeneschamali said:
Christy42 said:
However why surprise at the Pope believing in the devil.

Ordinary joe soaps in the church pews believe all sorts of nonsense about the power of prayer, holy water, the child of prague, Medjugore, secrets of Fatima, the BVM statue on the wall with the flickery electric bulb, on and on. There is even folk religion from pre-christian times still practiced, like tying tat to bushes at holy wells.

A Catholic theologian at a seminary will believe absolutely none of that. Not a feckin word. Yet it is nominally the same religion, and the hierarchy are careful not to step on the stupid beliefs of the ignorant where possible.

I am surprised that someone can rise to be Pope and still believe the simple-minded stuff like the Devil literally walking the Earth.

To be fair I would not call it simple minded. For me belief in God, the Devil, holy water etc. are about as logical as each other. Granted you may believe in some without the rest but the same leap of faith is required.

However I did not realise theologians had stopped going for Lucifer as as real as God so thank you for that tit bit.

realdanbreen Registered User
#4,005

Zubeneschamali said:

Sounds like you were reared in a very strict/orthodox catholic environment.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!