sryanbruen Registered User

The 21 June-14 July 2018 absolute drought (minimum 15 consecutive days with 0.2mm of rain or less) at Dublin Airport was the joint 4th longest on record with 24 days.

The same station (plus Phoenix Park) had partial drought (minimum 29 consecutive days in which the mean daily rainfall for the period does not exceed 0.2mm) conditions for a total of 53 days from 28 May to 19 July 2018. I will look at the records for historical partial droughts to see how 2018 compares.

Met Éireann have released on an update of their preliminary report of the dry, warm weather for Summer 2018 here: https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2018/08/DryWarmWx06072018_SS.pdf

Data comes from Met Éireann.

5 people have thanked this post

So the 2018 partial drought at Dublin Airport was the second longest in its records with 53 days, only beaten by the 1972 partial drought which lasted for 58 days.

2 people have thanked this post
Pa ElGrande Registered User

Came across this in passing while looking into the British Isles 1921 drought

FEBRUARY, 1922. MONTHLY WEATHER REVIEW.

THE DROUGHT OF 1921 IN THE BRITISH ISLES.
By C. E. P. BROOKS AND J. GLASSPOOLE.

The general rainfall in England and Wales was the least in 1921, so far as can be ascertained, since 1788. Individual long records indicated that over a considerable part of the southeast of England 1921 was the driest year for at least a century and a half.

The months of 1921 were not individually so remarkable as was shown by a comparison with the driest month known to have occurred in the British Isles generally. As shown by a map of standard deviation of annual rainfall 1881-1915, for the British Isles, the least fluctuations of annual rainfall occurred along the coast in the
northwest, increasing to a maximum in the southeast and center of the land masses. Constructing charts showing the distribution of, barometric pressure over the globe during and preceding droughts, beginning with 1864, it is found that the conditions which commonly prevail during dry spells are high pressure over the British Isles, the
greatest deviation from normal being usually over southeast England; low pressure over the Arctic regions, especially near Spitzbergen; and, generally, low pressure near the Tropics.

The first factor is related to the 11-year sun-spot cycle, occurring most frequently two years after the sun-spot minimum and three or four years after sun-spot maximum, so that it tends to recur every five or six years. Great droughts occur only when both of these factors are favorable. With pressure low over the Arctic, two or three months warning of as drought would be given by the development of high pressure over northern Russia.

source

This story map shows the spatial extent and severity of three major historical drought periods in Ireland (1854-1860,1884-1896 and 1932-1933). Archived documentary evidence showing drought impacts are also presented.

source

4 people have thanked this post

Here's the daily rainfall totals for 2018 so far up to August 10th at Dublin Airport and the dry spell since May (including August so far) is extremely notable. In fact, Dublin Airport has just exceeded 25% of its whole average Summer rainfall.

3 people have thanked this post

Here's a Cork Airport version of the chart above, up to 9 August.

hinault Registered User

Yes, rainfall amounts are still very small where I am, despite the long since passed heatwave.

The temperatures may well have paired back to normal levels but the rainfall amounts are nowhere near normal levels.

Regardless, I water harvest anyway but the amounts being harvested are minute compared to other years, at this time of year. Unfortunately.

JJayoo Registered User

In Sligo we have had enough fecking rain

mg1982 Registered User

Despite all the rain we had last week the land is still bone dry around where i live. Possibly still quite a moisture deficit in the soil. South sligo.

Cantona's Collars Registered User

Heavy drizzly rain here in Wexford, it'll keep the dust down.

Here's how the rainfall fared during the same period in 1995 at both stations shown above. April 1995 was exceptionally dry unlike 2018. Both Winter 1994-95 and 2017-18 were wet though 1994-95 was wetter and at the time, the wettest on record for some.

Elmer Blooker Registered User

Less than 10mm at Dublin Airport this month and 6mm of that fell on the 1st so the soil is again as dry as dust like it was a few weeks ago, my grass is still green though but that can explained by the ever present cloud cover.

Mobhi1 Registered User

8.6mm with me here in Glasnevin this month and most of that was on the first three days.

DOCARCH Moderator

Just 6.0mm in Dublin 16 so far this month.

1 person has thanked this post
JJayoo Registered User

DOCARCH said:
Just 6.0mm in Dublin 16 so far this month.

Damn didn't realise it was still so dry over east.

South Sligo had a light mist for a good part of the day ending up with 6mm of rain.

pauldry Registered User

Weather is still drier than normal even though its wet.

I know that sounds silly but apart from one or two stations seeing a lot of rain theres none of the daily downpours that have characterised most Summers in the 2000s

Last week when I was off I expected a deluge after watching farming forecast the previous Sunday but it was predominantly dry even here in Northwest.

Wednesday was quite showery is all

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!