Muckyboots Registered User

voz es said:
An that is what is so awful about that greenway, those who want it as not the ones who have been affected by if not being there. International and influence outside of this region is what is driving the campaign so that they can go down for a spin once or twice. It really is something very sad to see that you and people like you DaCor refuse to look at the affect of your actions on the region as a whole.

You do realise that you wrote this as a reply to a link posted to an editorial in the local paper ? - or were you trying to be ironic?

4 people have thanked this post
DaCor Registered User

Greenway development will not prevent rail re-opening, confirms CIE

CIE has confirmed that the development of the Quiet Man Greenway along the Tuam to Athenry railway line will not prevent it from opening the rail line again for train use, if such services were ever reintroduced.

See link for full story

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/103000/greenway-development-will-not-prevent-rail-re-opening-confirms-cie

6 people have thanked this post
eastwest Registered User

DaCor said:
Greenway development will not prevent rail re-opening, confirms CIE

CIE has confirmed that the development of the Quiet Man Greenway along the Tuam to Athenry railway line will not prevent it from opening the rail line again for train use, if such services were ever reintroduced.

See link for full story

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/103000/greenway-development-will-not-prevent-rail-re-opening-confirms-cie

BUT THEY HAVE THE LUAS UP IN DUBLIN!

1 person has thanked this post
DaCor Registered User

Greenway does not threaten future rail services, says Cannon

East Galway Minister Ciaran Cannon has received confirmation from CIE that the licence for the development of a greenway on CIE lands can be revoked at any time if the Board has alternative plans for the lands.

The Minister has said that Galway’s county councillors need to bear this fact in mind ahead of the forthcoming vote on a feasibility study for the Quiet Man Greenway.

See link for full story

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/102951/greenway-does-not-threaten-future-rail-services-says-cannon

what_traffic Registered User

a lot of coverage in the Galway Advertiser re Greenway today. Front page and Editorial coverage

2 people have thanked this post
westtip Registered User

West on Track on tour in upstate New York

https://youtu.be/6lutNECOZFw

whisky_galore Registered User

Most of it is obliterated, good luck with that.

3 people have thanked this post
Isambard Registered User

whisky_galore said:
Most of it is obliterated, good luck with that.

I'd agree, what with N8 improvements, the M8 and the Clonmel bypass, there can't be a lot left.

DaCor Registered User

Galway COUNTY COUNCIL TO APPLY FOR CONNEMARA GREENWAY FUNDING

https://galwaybayfm.ie/county-council-to-apply-for-connemara-greenway-funding/

That takes away the excuse the Connemara councillors had for not supporting the greenway from Athenry to Milltown

Another step closer

JCX BXC Registered User

On the train between Athenry and Ennis at the moment, it's more akin to a packed DART than a ghost line tbh.

Numbers must be rising to a level of 'irish rail' sustainability?

marno21 Moderator

JCX BXC said:
On the train between Athenry and Ennis at the moment, it's more akin to a packed DART than a ghost line tbh.

Numbers must be rising to a level of 'irish rail' sustainability?

If it wasn't full on a Friday evening there would be no hope. Plenty of returning professionals and students on that train.

As I said in a recent post, if we are keeping these lines, run a decent service and for the same subvention you get a large social dividend. The same rule should be applied to LJ-Waterford & Killonan-Ballybrophy. If you run 2 trains a day at low speed you won't have any usage. 5/6 trains a day and you get multiples of users whilst still paying the same wages to the gatekeepers, same cost of maintenance etc.

4 people have thanked this post
JCX BXC Registered User

marno21 said:
If it wasn't full on a Friday evening there would be no hope. Plenty of returning professionals and students on that train.

As I said in a recent post, if we are keeping these lines, run a decent service and for the same subvention you get a large social dividend. The same rule should be applied to LJ-Waterford & Killonan-Ballybrophy. If you run 2 trains a day at low speed you won't have any usage. 5/6 trains a day and you get multiples of users whilst still paying the same wages to the gatekeepers, same cost of maintenance etc.

In essence you're suggesting 'economies of scale'.

marno21 Moderator

JCX BXC said:
In essence you're suggesting 'economies of scale'.

Indeed. If these lines are being kept open it should either be full useful service or else close them. No more of this keeping lines open for the sake of it which benefits no one and costs a small fortune.

8 people have thanked this post
marno21 Moderator

Shane Ross

I recently briefed Government on how I plan to give effect to the Government’s commitments in relation to the review. In this regard a process for an independent financial and economic evaluation of the WRC phase 2 is now underway that will also include broad consultation. I expect that Irish Rail and my Department will progress this over the coming months and I will then report to Government with the findings.

Lets see how long this takes.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!