Marlow Registered User
#1

fritzelly said:
This confuses me, why continue with old tech and not continue with upgrading everyone to fibre to the home?


Because they don't want to invalidate their copper infrastructure. And well, it does indeed cut down on civils, cable replacement, investment in dense populated areas.

A lot of those areas would also have underground cabling. Often with blocked ducts etc. Thats even more costly.

Running fiber overhead on poles is comparable cheap and a lot of that stuff probably needed a refresh anyhow.

Just look at the figures along: 1.7M VDSL lines, 300k FTTH. If you had to roll out FTTH for all 2M homes (cable, DP, civils), it would be a whole different ballpark.

/M

1 person has thanked this post
evosteo Registered User
#2

10,001

Marlow Registered User
#3

evosteo said:
10,001


Nope

/M

fritzelly Registered User
#4

Knowing how VM ran cable from house to house why don't eir do that and forget poles/ducting
Seems very backwards thinking to rely on old infrastructure at least in urban areas

Marlow Registered User
#5

fritzelly said:
Knowing how VM ran cable from house to house why don't eir do that and forget poles/ducting
Seems very backwards thinking to rely on old infrastructure at least in urban areas


Hahaha .. funny you mention that. SIRO actually have done a lot of surface ran FTTH in Urban areas just like that.

/M

NIMAN Registered User
#6

Would it be a good sign if KN Group workers are laying underground pipes/cables from your nearest town (which already has high speed internet) on the main road in the direction of where you live?

Or do KN Group have other contracts that aren't broadband?

1 person has thanked this post
Robxxx7 Registered User
#7

Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

BobMc Registered User
#8

Guys this is a massive thread, I've a bit of an unusual question.

We currently have FTTC and we're a nice distance from the Cab but get reliable 20 - 22 mb down
which is just about fine for these days but what about the furture?

Is there anyway to contact OpenEir with the suggestion to connect out estate for FTTH,

We're semi rural an estate with approx 120 or so houses, and not to sound too snobbish an estate with good earners
and young families, if anything like mine pretty data hungry. It would probably be a good investment for them, I for
one would be happy to pay extra for it ?

Is there any hope for us ? or any way to contact them etc.

thanks in advance for any advice

Marlow Registered User
#9

BobMc said:
Is there any hope for us ? or any way to contact them etc.


There's not much chance, I'm afraid. They won't even touch houses 200m out of the defined boundaries.

/M

1 person has thanked this post
navi Registered User
#10

NIMAN said:
Would it be a good sign if KN Group workers are laying underground pipes/cables from your nearest town (which already has high speed internet) on the main road in the direction of where you live?

Or do KN Group have other contracts that aren't broadband?


It is hard to say. Is your premises included in this rollout?

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)

irishfeen Registered User
#11

BobMc said:
Guys this is a massive thread, I've a bit of an unusual question.

We currently have FTTC and we're a nice distance from the Cab but get reliable 20 - 22 mb down
which is just about fine for these days but what about the furture?

Is there anyway to contact OpenEir with the suggestion to connect out estate for FTTH,

We're semi rural an estate with approx 120 or so houses, and not to sound too snobbish an estate with good earners
and young families, if anything like mine pretty data hungry. It would probably be a good investment for them, I for
one would be happy to pay extra for it ?

Is there any hope for us ? or any way to contact them etc.

thanks in advance for any advice


Is your estate marked by Eir to be done FTTH in the 300k premises... this is the response you will get from Eir - they are suggesting that no extra premises can be added because a contract is now in place with the government.


"Hi Irishfeen, unfortunately your home is outside of our 300k commercial plan. The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included. While the boundary of the rollout may appear arbitrary, in fact the network rollout is based on the best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan and the detailed timelines for rollout sit with the Department of Communications.

I fully appreciate the understandable frustration for customers who are seeking that we extend the Fibre to the Home (FTTH) coverage further to reach them, but our rollout of fibre to the home is determined on a set number of premises that we believe that we can reach on a purely commercial basis.

Therefore, this section of road will be covered by the National Broadband Plan"

1 person has thanked this post
Grab All Association Registered User
#12

Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.

KeRbDoG Registered User
#13

Grab All Association said:
Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.


Sure just cover it in tinfoil

9726_9726 Registered User
#14

Robxxx7 said:
Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)


30GB a *month*? Who's that?!

1 person has thanked this post
navi Registered User
#15

Ireland has finally made it onto the FTTH Council's ranking list!

https://twitter.com/FTTHCouncilEU/status/964060526513983488

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!