Kintarō Hattori All Round Nice Guy

It really is shocking and disgraceful what's allowed to be passed off to people. I rented for around 10 years before buying a place in North County Dublin. When I was renting you could get a decent 1 bed apartment minutes from the city centre for around €700. At that time a small mortgage cost roughly the same so you could actually save to buy a place of your own.

10 people have thanked this post
D3V!L Registered User

inforfun said:
And probably 99% "family homes"

As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford.

inforfun Moderator

D3V!L said:
As in 700k plus 4 bedroom semi-d's that the average mortal can't afford.

Requiring 2 incomes to be able to properly afford it.

People who dont feel the need to start families can just go **** off and start sharing miserable places with the others who dont feel the need to procreate (yet).

3 people have thanked this post
Alun Registered User

Following further investigation, the landlord admitted to collecting rent for 16 other dwellings in the city which were also constructed using questionable building materials, including mechano, straw bales and one house made from Bord Na Mona briquettes.

Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

4 people have thanked this post
Grayson Registered User

Alun said:
Straw bale houses are actually a thing though!

They're special straw bricks aren't they? they won't even burn.

Mollyb60 Registered User

Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

2 people have thanked this post
Aglomerado Registered User

Period property?

9 people have thanked this post
PaddyWilliams Registered User

Mollyb60 said:
Must've been a discount on red paint. No one can love a colour THAT much!

When I left Dublin in 2009 I was renting a 1 bed flat in Phibsborough for about €700 a month. Most recently my sister was paying the same rent to share a house with 4 other people. It is insane how bad it's gotten and I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.

dolanbaker Moderator

PaddyWilliams said:
I was renting a big one bed in Santry for €700.00 up to 2017!! Last I heard, same place was renting out at €1350 per month. Crazy.

I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

5 people have thanked this post
Samuel T. Cogley Registered User

dolanbaker said:
I bet there are very few people who have had a similar increase in income over the past 10 years.

Landlords

12 people have thanked this post
Kamili Registered User

Samuel T. Cogley said:
Government Tax on Landlords

FYP there

1 person has thanked this post
2ndcoming Registered User

Kamili said:
FYP there

Fake news. Tax is the same for everyone.

Pappa Dolla Moderator

Kamili said:
FYP there

Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

7 people have thanked this post
Grayson Registered User

Pappa Dolla said:
Yes. I'm sure landlords incomes have stagnated and all those ridiculous increases are because of the taxman.

Yep. My landlord increased my rent by 40%. I'm sure every penny of that is going to the taxman. And in my case I know he's paid off the mortgage so it's not like he was losing money on that. the increase was purely for the taxman

Anyways, there's loads of threads about rent. Maybe should move the discussing there rather than derailing one of my favourite threads? (Yes, I realise the irony of posting what I did and then posting this. I also realise it's backseat modding. But i do really like this thread. It's one of the few I subscribe to)

5 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!