dxhound2005 Registered User

Human goal post.

1 person has thanked this post
tigger123 Registered User

strandroad said:
These goosebumped bikini girls promoting anything and everything in the morning Metro! Usually photographed in St Stephen's Green or Grand Canal Dock for some reason. Metro is now dead, not sure if it's still a thing in the dailies?

I don't think it was/is just confined to the Metro. Still see it fairly regularly, less so in recent years though.

2 people have thanked this post
The_Valeyard Registered User

So, whose going to objectify me?

Billy86 Registered User

bluewolf said:
and then someone replied with a whole ton of links already
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106138649&postcount=57

why did you make a new thread about it after you got an answer

The D&G ad is Robin Thicke type creepy alright, but to be fair a lot of them strike me as sexualisation more than anything (though there definitely are double standards in there too). Obviously there's a crossover/grey area between the two, but the below could just as easily be said to be objectifying of men.

Also a bit of an aside, but while women get it worse for sexual objectification on the whole in the advertising world, there is also the stereotype of 'idiot men' that pervades a whole tonne of these ads. Whatever sells, I guess is the attitude.

http://newnation.sg/wp-content/uploads/shirtlessmanabercrombieandfitch.jpg

Probably NSFW: http://objectificationofads.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/0/2/11027132/689864850.jpg?389

Also probably NSFW: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/54/c2/15/54c215309fd1c7c82863fe3c9c514712.jpg

Also very probably NSFW: http://tsminteractive.com/files/2012/03/stefano-pinto-naked-yogurt-ad.jpg

3 people have thanked this post
professore Registered User

bluewolf said:
and then someone replied with a whole ton of links already
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106138649&postcount=57

why did you make a new thread about it after you got an answer

I didn't see that as I posted the question this morning.

Those ads are all aimed at women? So how is that objectification?

The tabloid stuff yeah but they are crap anyway and I never read tabloids. They are an odd mix of sex stories and puritanism in monisyllables.

professore said:
Those ads are all aimed at women? So how is that objectification?

The tabloid stuff yeah but they are crap anyway and I never read tabloids. They are an odd mix of sex stories and puritanism in monisyllables.

I'm confused. You asked for examples of women being objectified in the media, no? People gave you examples ... ?

3 people have thanked this post
Nicolas Cage Cagerator

I'm always getting objectified

9 people have thanked this post

tigger123 said:
I'm confused. You asked for examples of women being objectified in the media, no? People gave you examples ... ?

They aren't good examples? A woman's lumberjack shirt? Some kind of fancy fashion designer brand aimed at women? These are the same for mens products? Next thing it will be a box of of tights.

Unless I misunderstood surely they need to display women as sex objects - like the infamous diet coke ads did for men. Or the way that 50 shades guy is portrayed. Or an old James Bond trailer or carry on film . Examples like that. Not normal advertising or advertising aimed at women that most men would only see in women's magazines at the dentist.

The tabloid thing may have a point, but page 3 is long gone, so it's all stupid phrases now.

The place I most see it is daughters of our friends posing on Facebook - and in some cases their mothers - that's the most in your face objectification I see in daily life. And that's voluntary presumably.

The way Prince Harry is treated. That's objectification. He's not a rather plain looking ginger bloke with a posh accent, he's a Prince and therefore the object of hordes of women worldwide. That's my understanding of objectification. Treating someone as an object rather than a person.

professore said:
The way Prince Harry is treated. That's objectification. He's not a rather plain looking ginger bloke with a posh accent, he's a Prince and therefore the object of hordes of women worldwide. That's my understanding of objectification. Treating someone as an object rather than a person.

Sounds like you want to talk about the objectification of men, rather than objectification of women?

9 people have thanked this post
Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

If anyone reckons throughout media and culture that women aren't sexualised, physically scrutinised* and objectified much more often and from an earlier age than men needs their head read. Or their eyes tested. The odd eejit with steroid enhanced pecs on show is the minority by a long shot.

This is nothing to do with the gobsheenery of the "gender war" sh1te either. I see feminism as a busted flush and consider the majority of media feminists so full of poo that they could pass good muster as mobile sewer treatment plants. But the plain fact is women are objectified so much more.

*Not just by men either. IMHO the most pernicious of that sh1te shows up in media aimed at and usually produced by women.

1 person has thanked this post

Also, I'd say those women want to marry Prince Harry, become a princess, and live in a palace. I'm pretty sure that's not objectification.

tigger123 said:
Sounds like you want to talk about the objectification of men, rather than objectification of women?

No I don't actually, I just want to see what people consider objectification of women that is apparently so widespread, but yet I can't see it, and I'm a man so it should be obvious to me.

I see lots of women deliberately objectifying themselves for personal gain (Miley Cyrus for example) and men do this too but can't think of many for women in mainstream media where women are objectified.

You have stuff like lap dancing clubs and such like but they aren't mainstream and there's female alternatives to these.

_Dara_ Registered User

professore said:
This was brought up in a thread earlier of the rampant objectification of women in the media and it got me thinking that I couldn't think of a single example - outside music artists who objectify themselves deliberately, or women who do it to appear sexy to other women, e.g. The fashion industry.

Then got to thinking maybe it's me and can't see it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Hey! You scut! I replied, maaaan, I repliiiied.

To be honest though, it kinda seems like no example will be good enough for you. Just read Wibbs’ post upthread there, I’m far too lazy to restate it in a different way.

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!