velo.2010 Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:
Could be a 3 car on the return hence why its Coach C. What time is return at?

9.39am. If its, as you say, less busy on the connection then there shouldn't be a problem. It's midweek too.

Jamie2k9 Registered User

velo.2010 said:
9.39am. If its, as you say, less busy on the connection then there shouldn't be a problem. It's midweek too.

Mid week you will have no problem sitting in the same coach as the bike which will again be D as far as Mallow.

PARlance Registered User

TherapyBoy said:
Is there a minimum amount of time before the train leaves where I can pre-book a seat. If I get on the train 5 minutes before departure & all the seats are taken can I go online & pre-book a seat then?

Online bookings cease an hour before departure iirc.

1 person has thanked this post
Ursummupet Registered User

PARlance said:
Online bookings cease an hour before departure iirc.

They don't cease. I think it's 39.99.

The .99 makes it a bargain.

Jamie2k9 Registered User

Ursummupet said:
They don't cease. I think it's 39.99.

The .99 makes it a bargain.

No online tickets will be sold 90 minutes before departure of a particular service.

Klonker Registered User

Around 4 years ago I sent an email to Irish Rail complaining that no names were displayed for pre-booked seats. Got a response along the lines of when a train is/is expected to be very busy they switch them off. Well that's the f#cking time you need to book a seat!

Anyway I think they still do this on purpose, they'll say it's a fault on that particular train if you complain but I don't believe them.

madmaggie Registered User

I reserved a seat a few times, and what I don't like is having my name up there for all the world to see. One time some young lads, kept saying "hi Maggie, nice day Maggie, howya doing Maggie" over and over. Now it was all good natured fun, no malice at all, but I would prefer a reservation number.

Jamie2k9 Registered User

madmaggie said:
I reserved a seat a few times, and what I don't like is having my name up there for all the world to see. One time some young lads, kept saying "hi Maggie, nice day Maggie, howya doing Maggie" over and over. Now it was all good natured fun, no malice at all, but I would prefer a reservation number.

Option has been introduced after a complaint around Data Protection.

4 people have thanked this post
howiya Registered User

goingnowhere said:
But if you join mid journey then?

I regularly join the train to Dublin mid journey at Thurles and bar unforeseen journeys would have a seat booked. To date I haven't had a problem. Name is above the seat and nobody has sat in it. Maybe I've been lucky but no complaints so far

Jim Gazebo Registered User

I can't believe people actually debate this kind of stuff. I mean, if I book a seat its usually for a reason, I don't want to be left without a seat going on a long journey, or I need the table for work in a 4 seater. If I don't need it I don't book it. So why would I then deny some one who bothered to book it, the seat I've sat in? It doesn't matter about the rules to be honest. I would think someone who refused to move was just being a complete ***** if I'm honest.

8 people have thanked this post
LuckyLloyd The Voice of Reason

My seat number is on my ticket. I’d be taking my seat which I paid for.

10 people have thanked this post
Hilly Bill Registered User

Klonker said:
Around 4 years ago I sent an email to Irish Rail complaining that no names were displayed for pre-booked seats. Got a response along the lines of when a train is/is expected to be very busy they switch them off. Well that's the f#cking time you need to book a seat!

Anyway I think they still do this on purpose, they'll say it's a fault on that particular train if you complain but I don't believe them.

That's bull that they switch them off.

2 people have thanked this post
PeterParker957 Registered User

I've yet to have a satisfactory answer as to why someone who gets to travel for free gets a guaranteed seat and someone - me - who pays E4,050 for travel does not, unless prepared to pay even more.

Under no logic is that right.

6 people have thanked this post
schemingbohemia Registered User

PeterParker957 said:
I've yet to have a satisfactory answer as to why someone who gets to travel for free gets a guaranteed seat and someone - me - who pays E4,050 for travel does not, unless prepared to pay even more.

Under no logic is that right.

They don't, they have to pay a fiver for a seat same as yourself.

Hilly Bill Registered User

schemingbohemia said:
They don't, they have to pay a fiver for a seat same as yourself.

I think just because they have paid at a discount in advance for the year, they think it gives them first dips on the seats.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!