oxygen Registered User

As the title suggest is someone within their rights to move you out of a prebooked seat?

I have seen the scenario below several times, its happened to me once...

- 10 minutes before the train departing a person sits in a seat with no indicator on that it is pre-booked.
- 5 minutes before the train departing the indicator comes on with the persons name who booked the seat.
- 1 minutes before or at time of departure the person who book the seat comes and request that person get out of their seat.

Now, I got out of the seat, thinking fair enough, but if you look at the "Passenger's Charter" > "Conditions of Travel" > "Section E" > 43.6

"Passengers at terminal stations who wish to claim their reserved seats must
be available for boarding at least twenty minutes prior to the advertised
departure time of the train."

I do not blame the person who booked the seat, or the person who unknowingly sat down in a prebooked seat, the fault lies solely at Irish Rails inadequate implementation of this booking feature.

As an annual ticket holder, it seems a bit unfair that I have to give up my seat to someone when I dont have the option of prebooking seats or knowing that this seat was booked in advance of sitting down. More often than not those trains are standing room only by the time the person who booked the seat arrives.

Also those prebooked seats often seem to be not taken up by the person who booked them. When you book a ticket you can choose "Manual Selection" or "Automatic Selection". If you choose "Automatic Selection" this is like waiving any interest in a prebooked seat. When that person gets on the train, their likely to sit at the first available seat. However there is a seat prebooked for them with their name on it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on above)

2 people have thanked this post
aodh_rua Registered User

oxygen said:
As the title suggest is someone within their rights to move you out of a prebooked seat?

- 10 minutes before the train departing a person sits in a seat with no indicator on that it is pre-booked.
- 5 minutes before the train departing the indicator comes on with the persons name who booked the seat.
- 1 minutes before or at time of departure the person who book the seat comes and request that person get out of their seat.

Now, I got out of the seat, thinking fair enough, but if you look at the "Passenger's Charter" > "Conditions of Travel" > "Section E" > 43.6

I do not blame the person who booked the seat, or the person who unknowingly sat down in a prebooked seat, the fault lies solely at Irish Rails inadequate implementation of this booking feature.

As an annual ticket holder, it seems a bit unfair that I have to give up my seat to someone when I dont have the option of prebooking seats or knowing that this seat was booked in advance of sitting down. More often than not those trains are standing room only by the time the person who booked the seat arrives.

Also those prebooked seats often seem to be not taken up by the person who booked them. When you book a ticket you can choose "Manual Selection" or "Automatic Selection". If you choose "Automatic Selection" this is like waiving any interest in a prebooked seat. When that person gets on the train, their likely to sit at the first available seat. However there is a seat prebooked for them with their name on it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on above)

I was about 20 minutes early for the 17:30 from Heuston last week, so I got a seat. By 17:20 it was standing room only, and at 17:25 someone with a prebooked seat boarded with my seat on their ticket. Due to a malfunction on board, none of the seat indicators were lit. The other passenger was elderly, so I would have given up the seat anyway, but I wondered where my rights were if it had have been someone capable of standing.

1 person has thanked this post
mollygreene Registered User

Yes.

6 people have thanked this post
Bambi Registered User

You can thank Irish rail for this particular fustercluck, their reservation displays are a shambles

27 people have thanked this post
Odyssey 2005 Registered User

If I chose an unreserved seat within 20 mins of a trains departure and it was subsequently flagged reserved,the person who booked it would be left standing.
That's an absolute bonkers system !!.

3 people have thanked this post
Kristopherus Registered User

Odyssey 2005 said:
If I chose an unreserved seat within 20 mins of a trains departure and it was subsequently flagged reserved,the person who booked it would be left standing.
That's an absolute bonkers system !!.

So you'd take it out on the pre-booked customer. That's great logic.

13 people have thanked this post
Skedaddle Registered User

It's because of things like this that I no longer bother to take the train.

I turned up several times on the Cork-Dublin train and there was someone in my seat and I ended up having to go searching for one.

The net result: I haven't used an Irish Rail train in about 4 years and frankly I don't miss them.

11 people have thanked this post
trellheim Registered User

You can thank Irish rail for this particular fustercluck, their reservation displays are a shambles
and have been since the start, which they do little to solve.

1 person has thanked this post
Odyssey 2005 Registered User

Kristopherus said:
So you'd take it out on the pre-booked customer. That's great logic.

Why would I do that. ?I'd refuse to move and an inspector would be called. Not the other parties fault,but it's not mine either.

3 people have thanked this post
lawred2 Registered User

oxygen said:

It's their seat. They went to the bother of booking it.

So yeah.

Is this a serious question?

46 people have thanked this post
Tenigate Registered User

lawred2 said:
It's their seat. They went to the bother of booking it.

The paragraph the op quoted states the reservation is only valid if the customer turns up 20 minutes before departure. That's fair.

8 people have thanked this post
lawred2 Registered User

Tenigate said:
The paragraph the op quoted states the reservation is only valid if the customer turns up 20 minutes before departure. That's fair.

must be available for boarding...

says nothing about 'must claim your seat'...

how can you prove that someone wasn't available for boarding?

It's a bit vague really. Probably deliberately so given that it's IR.

9 people have thanked this post
Iamxavier Registered User

Prebooked seats should be displayed as soon as the train has entered the terminal. If nobody shows up when the train begins it's journey, then that's tough, but the current system is a complete joke. What if you booked a seat and were on time, yet some other fellow feels hard done by and doesn't give up the seat?

5 people have thanked this post
The Moldy Gowl Registered User

Odyssey 2005 said:
Why would I do that. ?I'd refuse to move and an inspector would be called. Not the other parties fault,but it's not mine either.

I'll just sit on your lap or the table so.

5 people have thanked this post
evolving_doors Moderator

lawred2 said:
must be available for boarding...

says nothing about 'must claim your seat'...

how can you prove that someone wasn't available for boarding?

It's a bit vague really. Probably deliberately so given that it's IR.

Available for boarding is the nub.
That means the guy could be mooching around outside and 'be available' (especially if there's a queue for 30 mins).
Are you gonna get the guy to provide proof that he 'was available' and have a battle of wits while the train is pulling off?
The system is a shambles.
Just pre-book if you can.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!