muppetshow1451 Registered User

Why cant Ireland do as Norway,rent a prison in Holland or UK,and send them there,they have loads of women and people with ethnic background,problem solved.

DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User

dr.fuzzenstein said:
Except you will never see feminists or the usual "outraged on behalf of someone else" brigade protest for gender quotas for binmen, miners, car mechanics, oil workers or other assorted dirty and dangerous jobs.
They only seem to want equality in managerial positions and the boardroom.

Could an argument be made though that in general and I stress in general women are not physically suited to these roles?

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

DEFTLEFTHAND said:
Could an argument be made though that in general and I stress in general women are not physically suited to these roles?

That is precisely the argument I am making.

muppetshow1451 Registered User

DEFTLEFTHAND said:

I am pretty sure women are ment for female prisoners and men are for male prisoners.

Triceratops Ballet Registered User

dr.fuzzenstein said:
Except you will never see feminists or the usual "outraged on behalf of someone else" brigade protest for gender quotas for binmen, miners, car mechanics, oil workers or other assorted dirty and dangerous jobs.
They only seem to want equality in managerial positions and the boardroom.

I do see this "article" as a bit of an oddity. If it even exists. I searched for any combination of words to do with prison, equality, journal.ie, etc... but can't find anything that fits.

Anyone have a link to the actual article? I'd say it got pulled after women complained (prison guard? Let's not go nuts with this equality malarkey now!)

It's real, if you searched the entire quote it's the first result. http://www.thejournal.ie/mountjoy-prison-3844007-Feb2018/

It's not feminists making the point, it's the Irish Prison Service. They've decided they want to appeal to women in their current recruitment drive and have decided to point out that it's not only a mans job. Nobody is calling for gender quotas here so you can calm down

2 people have thanked this post
DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User

muppetshow1451 said:
I am pretty sure women are ment for female prisoners and men are for male prisoners.

No I was referring to the jobs referenced in the post I quoted not Prison Officers.

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

Triceratops Ballet said:
It's real, if you searched the entire quote it's the first result. http://www.thejournal.ie/mountjoy-prison-3844007-Feb2018/

It's not feminists making the point, it's the Irish Prison Service. They've decided they want to appeal to women in their current recruitment drive and have decided to point out that it's not only a mans job. Nobody is calling for gender quotas here so you can calm down

No quotas right now, we'll see how it goes if they don't get the numbers.

Triceratops Ballet Registered User

dr.fuzzenstein said:
We'll see how it goes. No quotas right now, we'll see how it goes if they don't get the numbers.

If they don't get the numbers voluntarily you think they'll introduce a quota?

It's a simple numbers game, the IPS needs to increase staff numbers to meet rising demand. If there is a perception that this is a "mans job" they are only pulling applications from 50% of the population. Within that 50% they're only getting applications from the percentage of men who want to or are willing to become prison officers which I dare say isn't a massive number. It stands to reason that they would advertise to the other 50% of the population that this job is a rewarding one that is open to them too in the hope that some of them might also consider it so then they have a higher percentage of applicants to choose from.

bluewolf Category Moderator

Triceratops Ballet said:

It was female tds voting against gender quotas a while back as well but i suppose that's not anti women enough to rant about

1 person has thanked this post
the_syco Registered User

Omackeral said:
THE IRISH PRISON service is in dire need of more women and ethnic minorities targets to work as prison officers across the country.
Right now, there are just over 3,000 people working in the system – most of them are expensive white men – something which prison bosses want to see change in the coming months. - THEJOURNAL.IE

My edits in bold.

A politically correct way of saying that they want cheap labour.

Omackeral Registered User

the_syco said:

A politically correct way of saying that they want cheap labour.

Not a chance. All recruit's contracts are identical regardless of their backgrounds. It's fully visible and transparent.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!