onmarko Registered User

Hi guys

Any free parking spots around the city centre?

Renting one is just crazy now cost wise

Thanks

Caliden Registered User

Somehow I doubt people will tell you their treasured free parking spot locations.

8 people have thanked this post
LollipopJimmy Registered User

You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.

Are you working in the City? Public transport or cycling is the job if you are, driving in is madness.

2 people have thanked this post
GBX Registered User

Costs are high because of the demand. And for free spots you'd need to be lucky to get one - never mind on a regular basis!

amtc Registered User

I park on the cabra road or the north circular

Gavin "shels" Registered User

LollipopJimmy said:
You'll be doing well. I live in Dublin 8 and even a lot of the residential areas are pay and display or permit parking.

I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.

CalRobert Registered User

Whoa wait there's free land in city centre where I can put my stuff all day long? Where??!?? I'd love to build a house on it.

LollipopJimmy Registered User

Gavin
I think most people prefer P&D now - Dublin 8 is a disaster in the mornings with cars parking everywhere.

It's brutal, we have cars abandoned on footpaths where I live, the Guards have removed a couple that were blocking the path for wheelchair users.

I work in the area too and we have parking outside of our office and when I arrive here our 8(on our property so actually our spaces) spaces are full and I'm usually first in. Anywhere close to a Luas stop is a disaster

Chris_5339762 Registered User

It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.

Chris_5339762 said:
It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow. It should be free and you just pay your Luas ticket. Its a very simple way of getting a lot of cars off the roads. Free P&R on the M50 with public transport onwards.

Why free?

L1011 Moderator

CalRobert said:
Why free?

Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R

L1011 said:
Because people are more likely to use it. When you add P+R fees to fares, particularly if you have multiple people in the car, it can come close to or go over city centre parking and people don't use the P+R

Just seems like you're saying even 4 euro a day is too much, which is weird since I would happily buy up 5 or 6 parking spots next to the line (4*30*6 is only 720 a month), rip out the parking and put in housing. But I'm not allowed to do that.

More generally, maybe putting people near the line makes more sense than putting cars near the line, since cars can't ride Luas. Also, why make other riders who don't use parking pay for your car storage?

Related: https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21720269-dont-let-people-park-free-how-not-create-traffic-jams-pollution-and-urban-sprawl

BeerNut Moderator

Chris_5339762 said:
It's a poor use of space, though. Good urban planning practice says that when you have a load of space with a public transport connection, you build housing on it, not car parks.

1 person has thanked this post

Not to mention...
"It just shows there is a demand for proper Park & Ride. And not the €4 per day of the Red Cow."

I'm no economist, but if you have to make it free to get people to use it, maybe there's not much demand.

KKV Registered User

Would it not make sense to do a bit of both? Presumably it's not completely impossible to build an apt block with 2 levels of car parking (basement level, perhaps) (to accommodate residents and general public)?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!